Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Allen Greene

BrooklynBull

“Therefore, this is clearly a “death blow” moment,” Kevin White said.

My understanding of the situation is that Greene wanted a longer commitment as his contract is set to expire relatively soon.

Auburn wanted to get through the football season first.

Greene hired Harsin and that has been...challenging, to say the least.

Considering how intertwined the success of football is to how the the AD is viewed, especially at a high profile school like Auburn, an answer of "let's wait till the end of the season" can easily (and should be) read by Greene to be "we are letting you go after the season, save a national championship".

Being an Asst. AD at Ole Miss and an AD at UB and Auburn should set him up for another higher profile position.  He certainly made the right move to get out now, that's for sure.  In fact, I think it was a good strategy to both press Auburn for an extension and, ultimately, negotiate his departure now.

I don't know what "death blow" moment Kevin White is talking about.  Auburn is Auburn.

• Like 1

In reading more about Kevin White's rant, I found this comment very interesting.

"I wouldn't put much stock in Kevin White's opinions. He's a knee-jerk kind of guy, and a poor judge of talent. At least as far as football coaches is concerned.

If he thinks Greene a "rockstar" leader, weil, here's what he had to say about extending Charlie Weis's contract after only seven games, right after the "Bush Push" game in 2005: "In a very short period of time, Charlie has clearly and impressively demonstrated the ability to take the Notre Dame program where we all want it to go," Knee-jerk indeed.

Didn't quite work out that way. White left ND in 2008, Jack Swarbrick gave Weis one more year and fired him, leaving ND on the hook for $19 million over the next five years, making Weis the coach paid more not to coach than anyone in football.

Kevin White is also known to me as the AD who extended Bob Davie's contract before firing him, hired George O'Leary until he was fired a week later after a background check found that he had lied on his resume, hired and fired Ty Willingham in such a way as to leave ND open to accusations of racism for not giving him the five years that Faust and Davie got. (Although some of that is probably on Monk Malloy.)

But he was a man of integrity, and he did do a good job with Olympic and especially women's sports. Nevertheless, his comments about an AD aren't to be taken any more seriously than any fan's IMO."