Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Football conference proposal

UB77

For your consideration...

Ok, there are now 141 FBS college teams. The difference from the top to the bottom is huge. So here is my plan.

Drop the number to 120 teams.

Class A would have 5 conferences of 12 teams each. The top 60 college teams in the US.

Class B would have 5 conferences of 12 teams. The 61-120 teams in the US.

The leagues would be roughly based on geography, as much as possible.

After the season, the last place team in each A conference would be relegated to the B league. The five champions on the B leagues would be promoted to the A conference.

The league teams could be reconfigured after the season, again based on geography.

The current championship bowl system would remain. 5 league champions and 3 at large teams. The remaining bowl games could have AA games, BB games or even AB games.

Rivalry games and any "non league games" would have to be worked out. But since this makes too much sense, with too much to lose for the current beneficiaries, it'll never happen, so I'm not worried about the fringe games.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2022 at 4:06 PM, BrooklynBull said:

The answer from the power 5: DOA

Again make the investment like the Cincinnati Bearcats and Buffalo Bulls will be let into the power five conferences. It really isn’t that hard build the facilities before the other schools are going to share in the television money. I don’t expect the Buffalo Bisons to be let into MLB with minor league baseball facilities it doesn’t work that way. If New York State built a dome stadium on UB North Campus for UB football and basketball. I guarantee UB would be considered but not with $23 million dollars outdated UB stadium and outdated UB Alumni Arena. That isn’t wired technology wise for online gambling where big time sports are going money wise. That is the real reason the Buffalo Bills are getting a new Bills stadium gambling. Gambling is a part of sports today. UB stadium isn’t built for that so we are never going to a power 5 anything today. College football is big business they played in Sofi Stadium with no college football history whatsoever look where we play UB Stadium and Highmark Stadium aren’t even Power 5 stadium ready anymore. I think UB Bulls football is done by the 2030’s potentially just shutdown from even FBS Group of Five schools like the whole MAC conference downgraded like the Ivy League schools. I am saying if UB Stadium’s major issues aren’t addressed in some way by either UB itself as a university, UB Blue and White Club, UB Foundation or New York State itself or a combination of all putting in money towards stadium upgrades in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

• 7 months later...

I suggested this (obvious) concept a while back that was met with little interest. I wept. 🙂

But it seems others have a very similar idea (with better graphics).

Who knows? These are strange times. Or maybe it just makes too much sense.

9 hours ago, UB77 said:

I suggested this (obvious) concept a while back that was met with little interest. I wept. 🙂

But it seems others have a very similar idea (with better graphics).

Who knows? These are strange times. Or maybe it just makes too much sense.

There is no world where this could happen.  Too much other stuff tied together (TV rights, bowl tie ins, future schedules, etc, etc).  

Relegation and promotion happened in English soccer in the 90s.

The 1890s

It is part of that culture.  Heck, they can’t even do it here with MLS and it won’t happen here. 

But am I interested in seeing Haaland at Kenilworth Road this year!    

The money is just not there. We have some wonderful donors who have given UB money for facilities upgrade but there are not enough of them.

Second UB is in a pro city but a small market area. With interest in the Bills at an all time high we know UB is a second thought for most local football fans.

Thirdly, do't look to the state of New York or SUNY for any bailouts. Some fans who live in a fantasy world believe that state support happens elsewhere but it doesn't

Fourth the current administration at UB including the Division of Athletics is not forward looking nor creative. We are in a plateau. Men's basketball has a chance as it does not need the vast rescources that football needs (see UConn) but it does need to be in a competitve conference.

Do any fans have good suggestions? Right now we need them.

I agree 100% with everything UB92 and BrooklynBill have said. But that's looking in the rearview mirror. Universities and conferences have sold their soul to TV, and networks/streaming services are now and will continue to call the shots into the foreseeable future.

So the easiest way to expand viewership is to widen the interst in each came for the general audience. At the top of the card you'll have the battles for championships for interest. In the middle of the card you'll have traditional rivalries for interest.

But adding the threat of relagation, and suddenly a late November game between Indiana and Northwestern becomes must-watch-tv. The broadcast is being produced anyway, so with no extra cost, you've increased interest in your product. Viewership is cash.

Will it happen soon? Nah. In 10 years? Hmm...maybe.

First of all UB Bulls aren’t the best they can be in the MAC right now. Again I don’t agree that Buffalo Bills have anything to do with Buffalo support of UB Bulls football it’s apples and oranges. What is needed isn’t a renovated UB Stadium. What Buffalo downtown and UB football needs to do is what the Washington Huskies football has on a smaller economic scale for Buffalo and UB Bulls MAC football. Buffalo needs a Waterfront Stadium regardless of the Buffalo Bills new stadium in Orchard Park it’s irrelevant. A Buffalo Waterfront Stadium for concerts, soccer and UB Bulls football is needed down there. A 25,000 expandable stadium if needed in the future horse shoe college football stadium with the open end overlooking the Buffalo Waterfront with boat access for the Buffalo fans tailgating like the Washington Huskies is needed. It has nothing to do with the Buffalo Bills or Buffalo economics. Buffalo isn’t so poor that they can’t afford MAC football stadium done right. Buffalo doesn’t like UB Stadium that has nothing to do with the Buffalo Bills. The Buffalo Bisons, Buffalo Bandits and Bonnies basketball draw well regardless of the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres. Again UB Bulls football could be 0-12 or 12-0 it’s irrelevant with a Buffalo Waterfront Stadium with boat access to tailgate and drink like Washington Huskies fans have with their football stadium. There is no way this Buffalo area economically right now can afford Ohio State level football program with 100,000 seats that I agree with. But Buffalo can afford MAC football stadium scale on the Buffalo Waterfront. Buffalo Super Fan our UB campus is in Amherst? Yes for now it is but not long term it shouldn’t be. If I was in charge of UB over the next 40 to 50 years UB would slowly transition to the city of Buffalo becoming UB’s main campus again and Amherst being a secondary campus but not the main campus anymore correcting that huge mistake of the 1960’s.

UB Bulls football on the Buffalo Waterfront makes UB Bulls football more visible in the Western New York area. That is what I would do but it is going to take years with the way the city of Buffalo and New York State moves on these things hopefully sometime in the mid to late 2030’s. But there is no future regardless of the conference at UB North Campus for UB football if you want UB Bulls football to actually sellout games week after week regardless of conference and record. Washington Huskies Stadium on YouTube is what Buffalo and UB Bulls need. That isn’t fantasy the city of Buffalo needs a small scale stadium on the Outer Harbor the Outer Harbor Amphitheater built with no seats is a cheap terrible idea for big name concerts. We need better Waterfront planning in Buffalo. The Buffalo Bills passed on a Buffalo Waterfront Stadium. It’s more do able for UB Bulls MAC football on a smaller scale on the Outer Harbor there is no homes or businesses to buyout there is literally a blank canvas for Buffalo and UB Bulls football to create something like Washington Huskies Stadium with Buffalo Waterfront views and boating access it would be hot and popular. Again it works for UB Bulls football better than the Buffalo Bills because our home schedule is over by Thanksgiving weekend so the cold and winds we wouldn’t have to worry about as much as Buffalo Bills December and January home games and the scale is smaller with lower cost of $280 to $300 million dollars instead of 60,000 seats for almost $2 billion dollars for the Buffalo Bills stadium the scale and needs are different.

UB Bulls, UB leaders needs to be a lot more smarter than they been which so far has been missing in action when it comes to Buffalo Waterfront development for UB and UB Bulls football. UB leaders have this fantasy someday Buffalo will love UB Stadium that just isn’t the case after 30 years and winning consistently lately in football the signs say no football future at UB Stadium. That doesn’t mean drop football either it means we need to get UB Bulls football to a Buffalo Waterfront Stadium to have a Buffalo Bisons level at Pilot Field success in 1988. Then make UB Stadium the new Alumni Arena 2 for basketball and then let Alumni Arena 1 go for the UB student activities to use. That is what is needed long term for both Buffalo Waterfront development and UB Bulls football. Then it doesn’t matter the partying with tailgating for UB football because UB doesn’t have to worry about the UB campus because the UB Bulls football games are off campus on the Buffalo Water so there is no liability whatever for UB. UB Bulls football practices at UB Campus but the games are at the Buffalo Waterfront Stadium is what I would do long term for UB Bulls football. Some how get a stadium like that what I described above built UB Bulls football draws 25,000 weekly for that for MAC football because it is about football it’s the party and big event tailgate on the boat. The Buffalo Bills can’t offer that so it would make UB Bulls football unique. If Buffalo finds the money to support 75 home Buffalo Bisons games it’s not economic why 6 UB Bulls football games can’t sellout it’s the stadium. UB alums need to be honest with themselves look at Washington Huskies football stadium and then UB Stadium? What do you think would appeal to Buffalo fans more a boat tailgate with drinks then walk into the Buffalo Waterfront Stadium or UB Stadium presently? It’s not economically it’s UB Stadium in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

• 7 months later...