Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Evaluating Coaches

The 5 criteria I believe AD's utilize in order:

1. Wins / Losses / Championships
  2. Generating fan Interest via personality/tv/social media, fund raising/NLI, recruiting rankings, etc. (not record related)
  3. Off the court/field issues - players, recruiting violations, coaches behaviors, etc.
  4. Financial - contract, buyout, etc.
  5. Player academic success (graduation rate, GPA)

Of course, a significant #3 can trump #1 and #2 (i.e., Rick Pitino, Hugh Freeze, etc.)

Other thoughts?  

Edited by Sportsfan

2 minutes ago, Sportsfan said:

The 4 criteria I believe AD's utilize in order:

1. Wins / Losses / Championships
  2. Generating fan Interest via personality/tv/social media, fund raising/NLI, recruiting rankings, etc. (not record related)
  3. Off the court/field issues - players, recruiting violations, coaches behaviors, etc.
  4. Player academic success (graduation rate, GPA)

Of course, a significant #3 can trump #1 and #2 (i.e., Rick Pitino, Hugh Freeze, etc.)

Other thoughts?  

For high level BB too are likely 100% correct. With todays Landscape and transfer portals mid-major and lower level care less about the individual players being successful at life and graduating. I still care about that, but it may not lead to the W-L.

Schools are better off taking players of suspect character as long as they can score enough. #2 team has a couple murders and accomplices but still win so all good. Hugh Freeze and Rick Pitino paid a minor penalty but contribute to “enhance young men’s lives”. Nothing to see here, let’s just get a big personality that can win at all costs and be great again. 

Great topics and points of view.  I think it all starts with winning.  If you win they will come. They being fans and players. If you sustaining winning ways you will be relevant and create buzz and generate dollars.  In todays game I would put NIL with players off the court issues in the same category. Again, NIL is a player thing. Schools have no involvement in getting players nil deals. If I could amend your criteria I would put winning #1. Recruiting/portal and players/coaches behavior #2. For any coach recruiting and winning are the most important things. 

I also think ADs in mid majors should act like big dogs. Enough with the “woe is me”. A lot of people criticize Hurley. But hiring Hurley was a big dog statement. It instantly put the school in the limelight. Then we had success and a great 5 year run. It set the bar. We aimed high and flew high. All bc the AD jumped in the big boy pool.

Edited by DooleyBull06
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 2:16 PM, DooleyBull06 said:

Great topics and points of view.  I think it all starts with winning.  If you win they will come. They being fans and players. If you sustaining winning ways you will be relevant and create buzz and generate dollars.  In todays game I would put NIL with players off the court issues in the same category. Again, NIL is a player thing. Schools have no involvement in getting players nil deals. If I could amend your criteria I would put winning #1. Recruiting/portal and players/coaches behavior #2. For any coach recruiting and winning are the most important things. 

I also think ADs in mid majors should act like big dogs. Enough with the “woe is me”. A lot of people criticize Hurley. But hiring Hurley was a big dog statement. It instantly put the school in the limelight. Then we had success and a great 5 year run. It set the bar. We aimed high and flew high. All bc the AD jumped in the big boy pool.

And that AD aimed higher and was kept from swimming.