Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Half Empty or Full

Sportsfan

I guess 1 more year will tell the story.

Without a better QB and some explosive players on offensive, statistics would tell you teams cannot win with defense only and turnovers (except for maybe Iowa). Is Iowa football really the vision of Mo?  The 2 QB approach is what teams without a good QB.  Both are below average at what they are "in for".

Top recruiting classes in the MAC the last 2 years.  3-4 Freshman on Defense have All MAC potential.

Mo really needs to keep his coordinators for next year.

Not really sure I understand Mo's narrative that the "games are close in the 4Q".  I guess, but isn't the objective to win.  If you are continuely being beat in the 4Q, would indicate you are being outcoached or the other teams have superior talent.  UB doesn't have a bunch of starters in their 1st year in college, actually a lot of experience is in the starting lineup.

Surprising it took a whole season to determine that they don't have a TE who can block.  They move a center to "blocking TE" in 11th game of year.

Next year, with 6 QB on the roster and what we have seen this season from the position, 5-7 would seem reasonable unless there is a transfer portal option.

Transfers from P5 Schools - would seem the majority do not make any impact (Justin Marshall excluded).  I guess in most cases there is a reason they are not playing, and it isn't due to their measureables (which is what the P5 schools recruit).

What Lance is doing at Kansas is amazing.  He really does have the formula.  

Edited by Sportsfan

9 hours ago, Blue03 said:

The glass isn’t half anything. It’s shattered on the ground with the entirety of it spilled into the sewer. 

The shattered glass is in the street and has been run over by several cars, causing damage to many tires.   Not a large gash, but a slow leak that you won’t know about for a while, unfortunately…

12 hours ago, Sportsfan said:

I guess 1 more year will tell the story.

Without a better QB and some explosive players on offensive, statistics would tell you teams cannot win with defense only and turnovers (except for maybe Iowa). Is Iowa football really the vision of Mo?  The 2 QB approach is what teams without a good QB.  Both are below average at what they are "in for".

Top recruiting classes in the MAC the last 2 years.  3-4 Freshman on Defense have All MAC potential.

Mo really needs to keep his coordinators for next year.

Not really sure I understand Mo's narrative that the "games are close in the 4Q".  I guess, but isn't the objective to win.  If you are continuely being beat in the 4Q, would indicate you are being outcoached or the other teams have superior talent.  UB doesn't have a bunch of starters in their 1st year in college, actually a lot of experience is in the starting lineup.

Surprising it took a whole season to determine that they don't have a TE who can block.  They move a center to "blocking TE" in 11th game of year.

Next year, with 6 QB on the roster and what we have seen this season from the position, 5-7 would seem reasonable unless there is a transfer portal option.

Transfers from P5 Schools - would seem the majority do not make any impact (Justin Marshall excluded).  I guess in most cases there is a reason they are not playing, and it isn't due to their measureables (which is what the P5 schools recruit).

What Lance is doing at Kansas is amazing.  He really does have the formula.  

Is it a lack of talent or a lack of coaching?

I though Mo's thing was recruiting? Didn't we collect a bunch of players with stars next to their names?

I look at this offense and and ask why is it so basic? Why do they run the same set of plays over and over? Why is it so conservative?

IMO coaching is failing these players.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Is it a lack of talent or a lack of coaching?

I though Mo's thing was recruiting? Didn't we collect a bunch of players with stars next to their names?

I look at this offense and and ask why is it so basic? Why do they run the same set of plays over and over? Why is it so conservative?

IMO coaching is failing these players.

100% coaching OR the stars and recruiting classes don’t matter if they are a bad fit. Also, sometimes a hungry no star can outplay a complacent 3-star. Question is are we recruiting the right attitude and personality? Georgia somehow finds hungry 5-stars so there you go.

on a side note, our 2024 “cupcake” game just won the Patriot league championship. We have UMASS and UCONN too to go with our ass whoopin’ by Missouri.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

100% coaching OR the stars and recruiting classes don’t matter if they are a bad fit. Also, sometimes a hungry no star can outplay a complacent 3-star. Question is are we recruiting the right attitude and personality? Georgia somehow finds hungry 5-stars so there you go.

In Year 3 of Mo and with his heralded recruiting classes, we should expect better than a regression from 7-6 to 3-9 or 4-8 at best.  Watching how stagnant and predictable the offense became over the course of this season (almost 30 ppg in 4 OOC games, versus 17 ppg in MAC), it’s clear that learning on the job over these past 3 seasons hasn’t led to any obvious improvements on that side of the ball as Mo and his coaches can’t seem to get the most out of their players’ talents.  Defense has been more consistent but still too vulnerable to giving up big plays and too dependent on takeaways.

No excuses, but there were 5 losses this year where the Bulls were competitive (Fordham; Louisiana; BG; Ohio; and Miami).  With better coaching decisions and play calling, you could see how UB could have won at least 3 of them.  I don’t know if that means we’re “this close” to turning things around into a winning season next year, but it sure doesn’t feel like it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

I don’t know if that means we’re “this close” to turning things around into a winning season next year, but it sure doesn’t feel like it.

There’s times where a regression of record can be accepted, just some close loses that could’ve swung the other way, just look at the Vikings. It’s the quality of play that’s telling, just dull and boring. Even in close games they don’t deserve to win. Team doesn’t stand a chance unless something changes.