Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Kevin Kuwik at Army.... some perspective

Chet

8 hours ago, Chet said:

Army is now 0-7 after getting blown out by 2-4 Central Connecticut last night 79-51. Kuwik is in his 1st year running the team and Army made it to the Patriot Leauge semifinals last year.

Some previously shared perspective.

Screenshot_20231201-0649252.png.2e6877a5ac60a695c57ff26e85a95f8b.png

You can see that Akron rank dropped from 100 to 255 in Groce's first year.  Boals did manage to improve vs previous season.  He kept two sophomores Van der Plas and Preston that helped.

Update on Lewis (264) and Steele (262).  Steele had misfortune of losing his top player and having another player not eligible for first half.

Going from last year's rank of ~200 to 300+ is a bit more of a regression than us fans would have liked, but unfortunately it was never really about this season.

9 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Some previously shared perspective.

Screenshot_20231201-0649252.png.2e6877a5ac60a695c57ff26e85a95f8b.png

You can see that Akron rank dropped from 100 to 255 in Groce's first year.  Boals did manage to improve vs previous season.  He kept two sophomores Van der Plas and Preston that helped.

Update on Lewis (264) and Steele (262).  Steele had misfortune of losing his top player and having another player not eligible for first half.

Going from last year's rank of ~200 to 300+ is a bit more of a regression than us fans would have liked, but unfortunately it was never really about this season.

The portal was not relevant for Groce in his first year because it didn't start until 2018. Groce started at Akron in 2017. Plus Buffalo now ranks in the 300s in KenPom. 

I agree that Groce didn't have portal as an option to rebuild the roster.  In my mind you are getting at philosophy in terms of approach for starting your coaching career.   There are three options (with varying degrees of each).  1.) Retain star players and have modest success, Michael Lewis.  This comes with the risk of losing players to the portal next year.  2.) Rebuild roster using transfer portal.  I believe that Steele falls in this category, as do Hodgson (208) and Simon (198).  This has appeal if you can get players with a few years remaining as the transfer risk is slightly lower due to eligibility rules for 2 time transfers.  3.) Rebuild with high school recruits.  Groce ( per circumstance) and Halcovage (choice) are in this group.  The first year is clearly more of a challenge.  The questions (among others) will be can he retain these players, does poor first year result hurt recruiting in future years.  Time will tell.  

Ideally I would have liked a balance of all 3, but I am sure there are risks there too.   I do think Halcovage tried to utilize the transfer portal, Panzo and Gordon, but was not successful.  I seem to recall Halcovage making a comment about learning some things about the portal.

Anyway you slice it a new coach will likely need two to three years.There are exceptions like Oats, but likelihood of getting an Oats, are relatively small.

Edited by DocCas86
More commentary
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue03 said:

Note Bryan Hodgson is starting 2-5, with the two wins not being against great opposition. Even with the guy everyone wanted it takes time. 

I agree with your point that it takes time.  Personally I don't really want to compare the two coaches.  UB made its choice, so I am focused on Halcovage having success.  If Arkansas St wins the Sunbelt in 2025-26, I will say congrats to Hodgson and move on.  Keep moving forward.

If they are still doing a Sunbelt challenge that year I would love to see both teams at top of their respective conferences playing very entertaining game. 

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 1