Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Alumni Arena "Off Court" Entertainment

bullsbball

Is it just me or is the off court "experience" at the Men's and Women's basketball games bad.

Today during the women's halftime, there was technical difficulties for the outside dance group (of about 40-50 kids).  They stood waiting for the music to start and it never did. Lucky, they go rescheduled for after the game and many of the fans stuck around.

Also, hardly any on court promos during the women's game. Only the half court shot.

Then, for the men's games, some crazy free throw contest were the contestant wears vision distorting ski glasses. Then, you have the blind folded person at center court attempted to be directed to the prize by screaming fans.  Didn't tjhey also have for a brief time a "guess the price" game.

Only "interesting" contest was putting 3 people at center court to search through pizza boxes for a prize.

What happened to the putting contest, normal free throw contest. Or even bring back the sumo wrestling in inflatable suits from about 15-20 years ago. Even bring back the kids playing basketball at halftime.

I used to bring people to the games and they'd at least enjoy the entertainment if the game was bad.  Not true this year. Both are bad.

Was nice to at least see the cheerleaders there today (No Dazzlers or Pep Band).

Are the new event people to blame for this sad show of entertainment?

Edited by bullsbball

Generally agree with what you said. Some random comments.

Jack Kreuzer (WBB Radio PBP) is amazing behind the mic during the game and today before the game singing the national anthem. I hope for selfish reasons that he does not make a career of sports broadcasting and we can keep him on Bulls games forever, because he's better than most of the traveling ESPN crew we've had. His radio calls remind me of Mets hall of fame radio broadcaster Howie Rose in the level of detail and not skipping a beat when calling games. Truly incredible talent.

The 94 Feet video segment is great to know the players more. I do like that this year Jack is interviewing the players, which is great. There was one year (possibly last year) where it was players interviewing each other. One of those segments opened with "Hi ___" "Hi ____" "What's up?" "Oh nothin' much." and I make fun of it every time I see the 94 Feet video. I was indifferent about Jenna H doing it when she was here. I thought she was a great in recapping UB games, did not think she was amazing at those interviews.

Pep band is better than it was when I was in it. Full band including drumline and they're standing and making noise the entire time. Hell yeah.

I liked the inclusion of the Seneca Nation during halftime at the Bona game for Native American Heritage Day. And I think I remember a Diwali dance earlier this season. Great showcase of the diversity on UB's campus and in WNY.

Ok now onto the bitching.

I generally don't watch stuff at halftime or during media timeouts so I don't care much about the actual sponsor promotions (half court shot vs putting). But I care more about if it's executed well vs a complete mess.

DJ Milk and DJ Yes I've complained about for long enough now. "Ok Bulls fans let me see you out there!" *5 year old kid goes on the video board* "Aww yeah he lit he lit" please stop.

I understand we have a sponsorship with Tully's that we have to have the dumb turtle at every game, but Victor needs to be out there every game as well. This is not just a this year issue.

Noticed some delay today between a timeout being called and music being played. Normally I don't hear the f-bombs from the WBB home bench directed at the players, today I did.

I don't know who's fault it was today for the music issue (seems like they had the older group's music but not the younger group's), but a sound check prior to the game is standard. Seems like that didn't happen.

Don't know if it's new or required for some donor thing, but I had to look away watching the entire WBB team go for high fives down the courtside seats and the first row of the 100's after the awful performance today. They knew they played awful.

3 hours ago, rma said:

The 94 Feet video segment is great to know the players more. I do like that this year Jack is interviewing the players, which is great. There was one year (possibly last year) where it was players interviewing each other. One of those segments opened with "Hi ___" "Hi ____" "What's up?" "Oh nothin' much." and I make fun of it every time I see the 94 Feet video. I was indifferent about Jenna H doing it when she was here. I thought she was a great in recapping UB games, did not think she was amazing at those interviews.

Pep band is better than it was when I was in it. Full band including drumline and they're standing and making noise the entire time. Hell yeah.

I was sitting next to Alexa Davis' mother the entire game. It was interesting to watch her on plays. She was most "active" when she wanted the guards to pass the ball to her daughter in the post. It didn't happen the entire game.

It was also interesting watching Alexa Davis' mother during the 94 feet video.  You can just see she was proud of her daughter. 

I don't remember seeing the 94 feet video at all the games this year. Also, sometimes hard to hear the conversation.

I think the Pep band in the fall includes the marching band. More drums. I think they change in the spring to just the actual Pep band. 

19 hours ago, bullsbball said:

Is it just me or is the off court "experience" at the Men's and Women's basketball games bad.

Today during the women's halftime, there was technical difficulties for the outside dance group (of about 40-50 kids).  They stood waiting for the music to start and it never did. Lucky, they go rescheduled for after the game and many of the fans stuck around.

Also, hardly any on court promos during the women's game. Only the half court shot.

Then, for the men's games, some crazy free throw contest were the contestant wears vision distorting ski glasses. Then, you have the blind folded person at center court attempted to be directed to the prize by screaming fans.  Didn't tjhey also have for a brief time a "guess the price" game.

Only "interesting" contest was putting 3 people at center court to search through pizza boxes for a prize.

What happened to the putting contest, normal free throw contest. Or even bring back the sumo wrestling in inflatable suits from about 15-20 years ago. Even bring back the kids playing basketball at halftime.

I used to bring people to the games and they'd at least enjoy the entertainment if the game was bad.  Not true this year. Both are bad.

Was nice to at least see the cheerleaders there today (No Dazzlers or Pep Band).

Are the new event people to blame for this sad show of entertainment?

You are telling me that somebody goes to a basketball game for what happens during media timeouts and halftime?  I though people went to basketball games to see basketball.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

You are telling me that somebody goes to a basketball game for what happens during media timeouts and halftime?  I though people went to basketball games to see basketball.

You serious? When the team is bad, I look for ANYTHING to entertain me.

Play on the court is only 40 minutes. I'm sitting in that seat for a full 120 minutes. I don't have commercials to watch. 

I've taken many people to games and a basketball game is a basketball game. What they don't see on the court during the commercials is usually what stands out to them.

1 hour ago, bullsbball said:

You serious? When the team is bad, I look for ANYTHING to entertain me.

Play on the court is only 40 minutes. I'm sitting in that seat for a full 120 minutes. I don't have commercials to watch. 

I've taken many people to games and a basketball game is a basketball game. What they don't see on the court during the commercials is usually what stands out to them.

The game experience is very different for individuals only there for a game compared to families with kids. I'm there pretty much only for the game and the band but I acknowledge that there's a need for entertainment outside of the 40 minutes of play. It's necessary to keep students engaged and coming to the game too. If it's not engaging they could just watch the game in their dorm room. Or not care at all.

28 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Yes.  Why else would you go to a game but to see the game?

Weather permitting I will be in Buffalo in January and February/March.  There are games on both Saturdays.  I will be there to watch basketball.

Ub should cancel the band, cheerleaders, dancers, music, mascots, etc. Also, take down the video board. Basketball only. We can listen to the loud (Hopefully G rated language for the kids sitting nearby) huddles during timeouts in peace. 

• Haha 1