Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MBB @ GA Southern | 2/10/24 3pm | ESPN+

14 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

The issue is that it's not as simple as "just shoot less threes", there is nobody creating better shots inside the arc off the bounce or in the post and Halcovage isn't scheming them into easier looks. Shot selection hasn't been great but the 3P reliance is much more out of necessity than anything else. This coach and team is just terrible, no amount of shot selection tweaking is going to fix this team.

3 point shooting should be a strength of this team. Coming into this season Adams, and Graham's career 3 point shooting numbers are above national average (33.7%). Smith, Boldin and Sabol are all shooting above national average from 3. The team total 3 point shooting numbers are much more indicative of the general dysfunction of the offense than poor shot philosophy imo. They could start trying to move late clock offense inside the arc, but then turnover rates would spike and 2 point percentage would drop and people would say we need to shoot more 3s. It's trying to balance a scale that has a pile of shit on both ends

I figured it’s not as simple as just shoot fewer 3’s .  Like you mentioned, Adams’ regression from mid-30’s to 22% is troubling, and he’s getting a ton of open looks all year but just not hitting them.

As for Chatman, for his entire career before UB, he was 5/35 (14%) from 3.  For some reason I thought he was more of a threat from deep than that.  When your 6’9 offensively-challenged F/C is making them at a higher clip than your leading scorer, that’s a problem.

Edited by Bluebird96

8 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

When your 6’9 offensively-challenged F/C is making them at a higher clip than your leading scorer, that’s a problem.

Jo has nice touch and the luxury of only taking the open ones. I'd image if you held a 3 point contest in the practice gym Chatman would beat Smith. Some of it is to blame on Chatman's shot selection but it's often that he's given the ball and needs to get a shot and he doesn't have the ball handling ability to beat a defender so he's stuck jacking up a contested 3 off the dribble which isn't a skill many college big men have. I don't fault Chatman at all. It's on the coaches for not giving him playmakers to help him and also for not having found any way to create offense with the players that we do have on the roster.

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Chet said:

Georgia Southern’s Coach, Charlie Henry was on Nate Oat’s staff at Alabama. I think he also coached with Coach Oats in HS in Detroit. 

So GH3 beat someone from the Oats coaching tree.  Could it be a sign of better things to come?  Maybe he’ll get a shot at Hodgson in next year’s MAC-SBC challenge (is it happening again next year?)

28 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

We should take some enjoyment from the few moments when we can this season.  It was fun to see them actually go on a positive run for once, and play with a lead.  And make a couple key plays at the end.  

It has been a long season for all.  I am happy for the players and coaches that they pulled out the win.

• Like 1

My hope is a gritty win like this gives the team confidence to pick up a few more wins and finish the season on a high note.  

Nice to see UB’s scoring spread around a little more lately.  Four different leading scorers over the past 9 games (Chatman 4, Adams 3, Fulcher, Sabol) after just 2 (Chatman/Adams) over the first 14 games (including 13 straight for Chatman). 

Go Bulls! 🤘