Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#21 UB @ Canisius (12/29 - 7:00pm ET)

Wow.  So much lingering anger. I'm really trying to avoid re-hashing old arguments on here, but unfortunately I waded into this discussion today.  So I have to wipe off my shoes, figuratively.

I am forever grateful for the job Reggie did here, starting with the condition of the program, and having to prove himself as a temporary head coach.  Cohane had some kinda competitive teams in the Mid Con but by then, things were not good.  Along with Warde Manual, they instituted high standards on and off the court that gave us a program that was regularly competitive almost every year, and one that we could be proud of for not cutting any corners.  One that gradually built up a fanbase from nothing.  The teams were not as talented, or as deep, as the ones here the last couple years, but that doesn't mean Reggie did a bad job, more like Oats is doing a very good job.  We gradually got used to winning here, or at least competitiveness.  There were several teams talented enough in general to win the MAC, just that on that given day they didn't.  TRY and tell me that 2012 team wasn't talented enough, they just happened to run into a red-hot ohio team on its way to the Sweet 16 - the Bulls in the past couple years have not faced anything like that in the MAC.  I am appreciative of his ability to turn some really raw players into very solid ones by the end (Boyer and Mulkey come to mind).    I appreciate Reggie for what he was here, what his teams DID do, not what they DIDN'T do.

I am also appreciative, over time, that the style and substance may have gotten stale.  And there's nothing wrong with people getting frustrated with that, and there's nothing wrong with looking to do better.  The program had plateaued, and that doesn't mean Reggie was doing a bad job, maybe it just meant that they needed someone else to bring it to a higher level.  I think he remains a good man and a good coach who does things the right way for the right reasons, and I have every expectation he'll continue to field competitive teams at Canisius at the MAAC level.

I agree with those who thought some of his post-game statements were overly cranky.  I also think that we're having too much fun right now as UB Bulls to spend too much of our time re-living old frustrations and arguments.

• Thanks 1

Enrique I dont care to re hash the Reggie years but your whole post is full of excuses for Reggie. But to say Boyer and Mulkey were very solid????? They wouldnt get any playing time these days. And one thing Reggies teams never seemed to do was get better as the season wore on. Ok I'm done...let's enjoy where we are and not lament where we were.

I don't mind re-hashing old years, just not old arguments.  We've all spent way too much time by now arguing whether or not they should've changed coaches several years ago.  As I said, I stepped in this discussion, I have to wipe my shoes off before I leave.

Actually I thought I was pretty fair in acknowledging both the accomplishments and short comings of Reggie's time here, as well as the arguments for making a change at that point.  You shouldn't confuse 'praise' for 'excuses'.

Boyer was a walk-on as a freshman, and during his senior year he was one of the national leaders in assist to turnover ratio.  Went on to play professionally in the Czech Republic.  I would say that's a pretty good example of player development.  Watt had to almost re-learn how to walk after his illness and was an unstoppable force as a senior, and is still playing professionally.  The fact that Boyer and Mulkey wouldn't get playing time now is a reflection of the higher caliber of recruits that Oats and company have brought in and the depth of the squad.  That is a point of pride, and so was seeing a raw walk-on become a starting MAC-level player.

Edited by enrique14150

2 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Not disputing he might be a good coach, but, a head coach at D-1, he is quite mediocre.  

Completely agree with you Mikes. I'm not dismissing what he's done, just saying that he never could turn the corner. I understand he was an assistant at Alabama, and I think he could do great as an assistant on a big team, but not as a head coach.

All the P-5 head coaches have a killer instinct that I think Reggie lacks.

2 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Not disputing he might be a good coach, but, a head coach at D-1, he is quite mediocre.  

Completely agree with you Mikes. I'm not dismissing what he's done, just saying that he never could turn the corner. I understand he was an assistant at Alabama, and I think he could do great as an assistant on a big team, but not as a head coach.

All the P-5 head coaches have a killer instinct that I think Reggie lacks.

• Jeseph unpinned this topic