Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo vs Niagara (12/21 @ 2:00 pm)

BullBoy

10 hours ago, Kevin said:

I'm fine with it, I expect it every fifth game that Grant might play well. 

I'm more concerned at UBBulls08 claiming I take PERSONAL attacks on players and then takes some on me.  This isn't personal, this is only basketball.

This is a discussion board, we are allowed to discuss why we do or don't like a play, player, coach, or anything related to this sport. We've been generally considered a current mid-major powerhouse. We shouldn't be excepting of "aw shucks he could have been good" anymore. This isn't 2003. 

When I'm on this message board, I'm a FAN of this team first. There should be no blurred lines. Those who know me, know how much I like this team and like to talk about this team. I generally come here where I expect the biggest and best UB fans (hence the name) out there. I don't expect every one of you to agree with me but it's really part of any sport to potentially dislike the basketball play (not person) of a player that receives meaningful minutes.

If I give updates or reports, its supposed to be used to keep anyone informed that cares, not assert my dominance.

I'll stop bringing any reports to this fan message board.

My opinion is simple: you seem to fixate on a single player every year, and then harp on their flaws as a player. It gets old, and few people here appreciate the tone and the incessant negativity.

There also seems to be a disconnect between how harsh you can be towards our players, and how upset you get when we call you out on it.

There are plenty of us who get angry at poor play, and sometimes vent during and after games. I used to get so ticked at UB’s kickers, for example.

In my opinion, you are held to a different standard on here precisely because you are not a fan only, but also a journalist or personality or however you would characterize your various roles in the media. (That is not meant to be demeaning, I’m just not sure what you would call yourself.) And I think this is a tough space to navigate for a long-standing fan who is looking to make a career out of commentating. 

In the span of one post, for example, you say that you are a FAN first, and then threaten to “stop bringing reports to this board.” 

Finally, I never said the work “personal,” which dominates your description of how I characterized your behavior.

You’ve never attacked anyone personally, to my knowledge, which makes my comparison to a certain politician inaccurate and unfair, and for which I apologize. I probably had a few cold ones before I made that comparison. 

This is feedback from a consumer of all things UB hoops. Take it and do with it what you will. 

5 hours ago, 961819 said:

Just adding in, the comment that Brock has only developed a shot from close range is actually not true. He can hit mid range and 3 pointers regularly, you just haven’t gotten a chance to see it yet this year. 

Hope to see this in a game very soon. Johnson was apparently the best player in practice, and his early tenure has been uneven. Hopefully both Johnson and Brock up there games in time for MAC play. 

One thing is for sure: Jeenathan Williams is growing game by game. He plays much bigger than 6-5, and is starting to handle the ball with a lot more confidence. Rewatching the last few games, it is clear that he is feeling it. Love his effort and focus. 

He and Segu are going to be fun to watch, especially in junior and senior years.

• Like 1

On a serious note, there has been a lot of back and forth about Johnson and Grant.  Certainly both have had their struggles this year, but have had good games.  If either of them is able to contribute consistently, it will make us even better team for the rest of the season.     So I wonder if these games are a.) outliers; b.) come against teams that Johnson and or Grant matched up with a weaker defender or c.) there was something that occurred in  the game, (i.e. shot selection by them in the game) , that we could  learn from and look to replicate in future games?  If c.) perhaps let's focus on what positive action can be taken to help them contribute.