Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Women’s soccer MAC play 2023

Blue03

Soccer opens conference play tonight at Akron at 7pm on ESPN+. The Zips come in with a 2-5 non conference record, while the bulls come in 3-1-3. Akron played a relatively soft non-conference schedule, with 0 power 5 matches, while the bulls played very meaningful games, dropping a closely contested game vs Pitt 2-1, drawing 1-1 with a tough UConn side in Connecticut, and an impressive 2-1 upset of Ohio state on the road. Sharing one common opponent in Niagara (away), both teams came out with a win. Akron defeated NU 1-0, while the bulls beat the purple eagles 2-0. Akron and niagara played a pretty even game, nearly tying in all relevant statistics, while the bulls doubled niagara in shots and SOG. UB is a very good team with school record talent, their main problem comes in front of goal. The bulls struggle to capitalize on well-created chances, a change in fortune could see close games turn to blowouts. UB currently owns a 3 game win streak over Akron, with eyes on Buffalo to take charge of the MAC again this year. Buffalo’s Katie Krohn is no doubt looking to add to her tally of recent goals, as she’s scored 4 of UBs 8 this season. Finishing chances will be the defining feature of this game, if buffalo hits their target they should have minimal problems. Buffalo owns every accumulative stat this season vs opponents, while the zips’ opponents often take the advantage.

Some big stat disparities:

Goals against: (buffalo-5, akron-14)
Corner kicks: (buffalo-32, akron-17) SOG against: (buffalo-22, akron-43)

The bulls notably have a potent offense when it comes to creating chances, but even more notable is their watertight defense, allowing only 5 goals and 22 SOG in 7 games, often against quality opposition. The bulls also don’t commit major fouls, receiving 2 yellow cards, while drawing 9 from opponents.

All in all women’s soccer should be set up for a great conference season, with much to be excited for. They’ll be home next this Sunday against Ohio. For this game I’ll put in a prediction of a UB win, 3-1.

Edited by Blue03
  • Like 1

Half time vs Akron and the game could not possibly be going any better. Katie Krohn has stolen the show with 2 goals off of 7 (yes, 7) shots. A complete all around masterclass so far, UB has created numerous scoring chances, while keeping the hosts from a taking single shot. 

The bulls (4-1-3) open home conference play today at 1:00 vs Ohio (2-4-2). The bulls beat akron 2-0 away last Thursday, while Ohio fell to Kent state. UB is looking to keep its good form going while hopefully developing their ruthlessness in front of goal. They still struggle to find the back of the net despite plenty of chances. Ohio is coming off a poor start to the season, but they’re not a bad team. The only common opponents this season for the two teams is Ohio state, where Ohio lost 4-1, and the bulls prevailed 2-1. The bulls are known for their stellar defense, allowing only 5 goals this season, but the bobcats have stood firm in front of their own goal, allowing only 8 goals in as many games, keeping 3 shutouts. And while they’ve scored only 6, Ohio has taken more shots, as well as shots on goal.

Some notes on stats:

The bulls own a 10-6 scoring advantage over Ohio this season while also conceding 3 less. 
Ohio has taken 3 penalty kicks this season, scoring only 1. The bulls have yet to take a shot from 12 yards.

Here are some aspects of the game the bulls need to capitalize on to come out with a good result:

Buffalo needs to continue its sturdy defense and keep the Ohio shot count down. 
Buffalo needs to be clinical in front of goal on open chances, while also ripping a few from deeper. 
Buffalo can capitalize on Ohio getting into foul trouble. The bulls have picked up 3 yellow cards this season while drawing 12. The bobcats have received a whopping 15 yellows and 1 red themselves this season. If UB can keep the ball in the box, they may be able to draw a PK. 

All in all this is set up to be a great game. The bulls may be a clear favorite, but I suspect it’s going to be a lot closer than we may like. I’ll go with a 1-1 draw. And go Bills (for those of you who would rather watch football at home instead of soccer). 

• Like 2

Kickoff vs Miami in an hour at UB stadium. Not going to delve into stats, but theoretically it should be a straight forward game. It’ll come down to if the bulls can put the game away. I’ll be bold and say the bulls are going to take out their frustration from Ohio against Miami. 4-0 Buffalo

• 3 weeks later...

Bulls beat toledo 3-0 last night in a dominating defensive performance. Toledo was held to 2 shots on goal, both from distance, and neither happened until about 15 minutes left in the game. Offense struggled a bit, and didn’t score their goals until rather late in the game, but their shots were clinical. Last home game is next Thursday vs Kent. 

• Like 1

I see that UB lost to Kent tonight 2-1 despite out-shooting them 17-5 including 7-3 in shots on goal.  Following from afar and not knowing too much about the sport, it seems there were many games this season with similar stats for the Bulls where they didn’t get the win despite dominating their opponents statistically. Is it just a matter of bad luck, or more to do with the opponent’s goalkeepers, or are the Bulls just not getting good quality shots despite the high quantity of shots?

9 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

I see that UB lost to Kent tonight 2-1 despite out-shooting them 17-5 including 7-3 in shots on goal.  Following from afar and not knowing too much about the sport, it seems there were many games this season with similar stats for the Bulls where they didn’t get the win despite dominating their opponents statistically. Is it just a matter of bad luck, or more to do with the opponent’s goalkeepers, or are the Bulls just not getting good quality shots despite the high quantity of shots?

Yes this was a common theme for UB this year. They’re so good with the ball, dominating possession and pretty much every stat you can think of, but they have no teeth. They build up play so well but once they get near goal they can’t make it through. The on the other side our defense is high caliber, but it seems that every time another team shoots the ball from anywhere it goes in. I don’t think it’s a keeper issue, it’s just that the other teams get one or two good chances all game and they capitalize on both.

I still maintain UB plays a style of the game that’s too good for the MAC. They play a much more polished and professional version of soccer than anyone in conference: good possession protection, playing out from the back, 1 2 passes, smart ball handling. But what they lack against MAC opponents is a killer instinct. They don’t have scrappy counter attacks and cheap through balls through the air. And they never press forward, they’re so defense oriented that they only ever have 3 players going forward on an attack. 
Next season will be interesting, we’ll see if coach can adapt with new recruits. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blue03 said:

…. we’ll see if coach can adapt with new recruits. 

?  He has been head coach at UB long enough for fans to understand how he integrates new players.  This season has one of the smallest graduating classes, so expect few new recruits anyway.  Guess I missed the point, but it’s a none issue, imo

22 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

?  He has been head coach at UB long enough for fans to understand how he integrates new players.  This season has one of the smallest graduating classes, so expect few new recruits anyway.  Guess I missed the point, but it’s a none issue, imo

I guess I misconstrued what I was trying to say. I’m meaning coach needs to figure out what the issue is in attack and maybe bring in a recruit who can put away any chance. The buildup is great, but the finishing isn’t, and Krohn can only do so much. We just fall behind in the MAC because we don’t poach cheap goals day in day out, maybe coach makes that an option off the bench. I don’t like that style, but we’re more competitive with power 5 schools than we are in conference.