Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Army to join the AAC for football only

promotherobot

41 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

Even the MAAC is expanding. They are picking up Sacred Heart and Merrimack, for what that's worth. The MAC is what it is. I would rather be in the Sunbelt or somewhere like that. That seems to be filled with schools that want to do better and increase their profile at least.

This is just stupid.

Based upon the early discussions of this move (which has been rumored for weeks already) the Army-Navy game will never be a conference game.  It will remain being played the week after conference championship games.  What if Army - Navy is the championship game?  Do they play back to back weeks?  Which game is cancelled?  What if one team is in the conference championship game?  They have to play back to back weeks with the other school getting a full two weeks rest before the game.  The generals and admirals will just love that when their academy loses.

Army was in a conference once before for football only.  It was Conference USA.  How did that work out for them?  What makes them think that it will work this time?

5 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

What if Army - Navy is the championship game?

They play for the conference championship

Do they play back to back weeks?

Yes

Which game is cancelled?

No

What if one team is in the conference championship game?

They play in the conference championship game

6 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

This is just stupid.

Based upon the early discussions of this move (which has been rumored for weeks already) the Army-Navy game will never be a conference game.  It will remain being played the week after conference championship games.  What if Army - Navy is the championship game?  Do they play back to back weeks?  Which game is cancelled?  What if one team is in the conference championship game?  They have to play back to back weeks with the other school getting a full two weeks rest before the game.  The generals and admirals will just love that when their academy loses.

Army was in a conference once before for football only.  It was Conference USA.  How did that work out for them?  What makes them think that it will work this time?

Army is a national brand. I wish they were joining the MAC. Army is better than anything in that too bit AAC. The AAC needed to bend to get Army which is worth it. The Army Navy game should never break from there tradition time of year for some half baked conference. Buffalo city football Harvard Cup was a traditional game in Western New York every Thanksgiving Day morning Harvard Cup at Buffalo All High Stadium on WNED PBS channel 17. Harvard Cup was must see television for decades in Western New York going back to my father and grandfather days. It was a huge deal to watch if you are a football fan bigger than Buffalo Bulls football. The City joined Section 6 to compete for state championship no more Harvard Cup few care about Buffalo city football anymore like the past in my day because it isn’t special anymore they are like every other goofy section 6 state event. Speaking of football and Thanksgiving UB football could learn a thing or two from Harvard Cup. Stop playing on Friday after Thanksgiving. Play Thursday morning on Thanksgiving Day on Buffalo PBS television for all of Western New York to be exposed to UB Bulls football. More people from Western New York will watch that game. Make it a yearly tradition Buffalo Bulls at home playing Thanksgiving Day morning yearly. The MAC opponent is in town for Friday game anyway play on Thanksgiving Day morning when people are at home watching television cooking there Thanksgiving Day Turkey. UB athletics needs to make a bigger effort. UB Bulls basketball should play home games yearly on Christmas Day on PBS again. People are at home they might watch UB Bulls basketball on television PBS in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

9 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Even the MAAC is expanding. They are picking up Sacred Heart and Merrimack, for what that's worth. The MAC is what it is. I would rather be in the Sunbelt or somewhere like that. That seems to be filled with schools that want to do better and increase their profile at least.

The MAAC should be contracting Canisius and Niagara. The MAAC is a New York City bus league that Canisius and Niagara should get out of for our rivals St Bonaventure in the Atlantic 10 Conference. Or Canisius and Niagara should forget about Division I athletics. UB Bulls fan doesn’t understand because they aren’t a part of the Little Three basketball. UB fan thinks if we can beat St Bonaventure basketball we conquer the Little Three. Here is deal those three don’t care if UB never played those schools there into each other they don’t care about what UB claims, does or doesn’t do. It has no bearing on those older fan bases. UB in the Big 4 isn’t special and I am saying this as a UB fan. UB fan never got that the Little Three schools fan bases are if you want to play us whatever. When is the Canisius St Bonaventure game see what I am saying. The MAAC as a Little Three basketball fan I don’t take seriously and it is the conference Canisius and Niagara compete in. Little Three basketball is more important than the MAAC conference and MAAC tournament. Yes weird but that is the way it is with Little Three basketball we are like Ivy League we are satisfied in our Little Three basketball world. So we don’t care what the MAAC adds or doesn’t add it’s embarrassing even thinking of being in that too bit MAAC conference to begin with in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

9 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

Speaking of football and Thanksgiving UB football could learn a thing or two from Harvard Cup. Stop playing on Friday after Thanksgiving. Play Thursday morning on Thanksgiving Day

You do realize that UB has no say in scheduling and that here is no way they would play the final regular season game at home every year.  They also would have to go through major hoops to put a game on local TV as the conference controls with ESPN the TV rights.

9 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

Little Three basketball is more important than the MAAC conference and MAAC tournament.

So the Little Three gets an automatic bid to the NCAA?  Not even Philadelphia's Big Five gets an automatic bid.  No automatic bid, no NCAA basketball money and Canisus and Niagara could end up like St. Francis (NY), without an athletic department.

10 hours ago, rma said:

They play for the conference championship

Yes

No

They play in the conference championship game

Like I said, stupid.  Playing back to back weeks would take the luster off the real Army - Navy game.

Almost as dumb as the Big 10 getting rid of divisions and having the top two teams play in the Conference Championship game.  Do you think Michigan and Ohio State would have wanted to play each other on back to back weeks last year?  Instead of both in the games, a sweep by one school would have kept the other out of the playoff, a split and possibly neither would have made the playoff.