Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB WBB vs Western Michigan 2pm

WMU avg 7.2 made 3pts per game and has a player Zarycki that is avg 50%fg, 40%3pt ,90%ft which is tough. Defending the 3 and winning the rebounding and 50/50 plays are crucial. WMU does not have the size we struggled against so exceeding their intensity without fouling. I hope we can get Ogden going she seems to play much better at home. Watson can be counted on to be exceptional just need to be a bit more efficient than last game. Winnable game hope they pull it out! 

19 minutes ago, NC_UBfan said:

WMU avg 7.2 made 3pts per game and has a player Zarycki that is avg 50%fg, 40%3pt ,90%ft which is tough. Defending the 3 and winning the rebounding and 50/50 plays are crucial. WMU does not have the size we struggled against so exceeding their intensity without fouling. I hope we can get Ogden going she seems to play much better at home. Watson can be counted on to be exceptional just need to be a bit more efficient than last game. Winnable game hope they pull it out! 

We need this game for momentum. BG is going to be a tough game, so I'm hoping Rana, Ogden, Davis and KLW bring it today. Would also be good to get Lopez and Ojala some more PT to keep the development going as I think we are going to need them. If Johnson can chip in another 10 points, that is helpful too.

1 minute ago, UBinMD said:

We need this game for momentum. BG is going to be a tough game, so I'm hoping Rana, Ogden, Davis and KLW bring it today. Would also be good to get Lopez and Ojala some more PT to keep the development going as I think we are going to need them. If Johnson can chip in another 10 points, that is helpful too.

Agreed!!! I’m high on Lopez she is very skilled I think the game is finally slowing down for her she had a good showing last game.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NC_UBfan said:

Agreed!!! I’m high on Lopez she is very skilled I think the game is finally slowing down for her she had a good showing last game.  

We need be 8 deep, can’t have people playing 38-40 minutes every game and expect it not to take its toll 

Well we’re would this half be if they hit those missed layups in the 1st quarter. This team at time shows high promise and at other shows its inexperience and plays down. This half they played down to WMU. Come out the half stay out of foul problems and close this team out 

Hopefully we can have a good 4th quarter, but these ladies are all out of sorts today. I supposed you blame it on some early foul trouble, but they are missing easy shots and committing basic turnovers you wouldn’t expect in middle school.

Guess Watson was due for on off day (for her) with 15 pts and amazingly not a single FT attempt. As a team UB had only 8 FT attempts and were outscored by 18 behind the arc with just 5 made 3’s while WMU had 11.  Got some scoring balance from others but just wasn’t enough today.  Hope they bounce back strong on Wednesday vs BG.

3 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

Guess Watson was due for on off day (for her) with 15 pts and amazingly not a single FT attempt. As a team UB had only 8 FT attempts and were outscored by 18 behind the arc with just 5 made 3’s while WMU had 11.  Got some scoring balance from others but just wasn’t enough today.  Hope they bounce back strong on Wednesday vs BG.

19 turnovers doesn’t help

2 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

19 turnovers doesn’t help

That’s how you lose games like this versus a lesser opponent on your home court.  A couple less turnovers leading to points the other way, and another made 3, and Bulls probably win.  Frustrating loss to say the least 

56 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

That’s how you lose games like this versus a lesser opponent on your home court.  A couple less turnovers leading to points the other way, and another made 3, and Bulls probably win.  Frustrating loss to say the least 

Should have been an 8-10 point win. Way too many mistakes. Lots of iso ball that didn’t go well 

On 1/20/2024 at 4:03 PM, Bluebird96 said:

Yes. Any of 1 or 2 fewer unforced TOs (traveling), 1 or 2 more kick-outs to an unguarded Ogden beyond the arc, 1-2 fewer attempts to drive in the paint against 3 defenders, 1-2 fewer cheap calls from UB-killer Steratore. 

On 1/21/2024 at 4:33 PM, 1975 said:

Yes. Any of 1 or 2 fewer unforced TOs (traveling), 1 or 2 more kick-outs to an unguarded Ogden beyond the arc, 1-2 fewer attempts to drive in the paint against 3 defenders, 1-2 fewer cheap calls from UB-killer Steratore. 

Both Rana and Lewis-Williams with way too many turnovers and we have seen the trend now from these MAC teams. When Watson gets the ball out on the perimeter they double her and pressure her and she still tries to drive through them. Other players have to be open and you would think the coaching staff should figure out a different offensive philosophy.  Do not understand why Ogden was not on the floor in the 4th quarter especially when she did hit some early three’s. Still think Davis needs to play more minutes if and it is a big if she can stay out of foul trouble. Still think this team is a work in progress and will see if anything will change as the season continues. The Bowling Green game on Wednesday will be a challenge as they have a better overall lineup than WMU.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John said:

Do not understand why Ogden was not on the floor in the 4th quarter especially when she did hit some early three’s. 

I don't agree but I understand. It was to match up with the WMU all guard line up they ran in the 4th.  Gines is a big guard 5'10 better perimeter defender has more speed than Ogden but lacks the size and is not a threat to hit 3s which would have deterred WMU from blitzing Watson. Two passes and you would have either Ogden or Rana with a open look. We are a young team made ALOT of mental mistakes and I think they played down IMOP.  If they had the same intensity as the Ball St game we walk them 15+. This is the first and hopefully last bad loss on the way to a 10+ win conference record. 

Edited by NC_UBfan

20 hours ago, NC_UBfan said:

I don't agree but I understand. It was to match up with the WMU all guard line up they ran in the 4th.  Gines is a big guard 5'10 better perimeter defender has more speed than Ogden but lacks the size and is not a threat to hit 3s which would have deterred WMU from blitzing Watson. Two passes and you would have either Ogden or Rana with an open look. We are a young team made ALOT of mental mistakes and I think they played down IMOP.  If they had the same intensity as the Ball St game we walk them 15+. This is the first and hopefully last bad loss on the way to a 10+ win conference record. 

Good point about Gines but still think Ogden would have helped on the offensive end especially since she hit a few shots and would have had the confidence level up. Before this game Gines has barely played at all so to put her in the game was a little baffling. One other point was the three point shooting of WMU which coming into the game put up a crazy amount of 3’s and UB did not put enough pressure on their 3 point shooters which came back to bite them and lose the game. It is up to these coaches and players to adjust and they failed. It will be interesting to see what game plan Burke can come up with against Bowling Green which is a big step up from WMU. Go Bulls!!