Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

History Question - FCS

Anyone know why FCS teams don't play on other than Saturday night (Week 0/1...and Nichols-Southeast Louisiana excepted).  As you may know, I have been at all the FBS stadiums and started poking at FCS stadiums two or three years ago.  If they only play on Saturdays, I am neither rich enough, nor likely to live long enough to get to every FCS stadium as well.

Dar and I will be at the UB opener on the 29th of August.  Then we will head to either Morehead State or Dayton for an FCS game.  I sure wish there were a few Friday night games.

Anyone know why they only (generally) play Saturdays?  Just curious....

2 hours ago, verandaman said:

Anyone know why FCS teams don't play on other than Saturday night (Week 0/1...and Nichols-Southeast Louisiana excepted).  As you may know, I have been at all the FBS stadiums and started poking at FCS stadiums two or three years ago.  If they only play on Saturdays, I am neither rich enough, nor likely to live long enough to get to every FCS stadium as well.

Dar and I will be at the UB opener on the 29th of August.  Then we will head to either Morehead State or Dayton for an FCS game.  I sure wish there were a few Friday night games.

I believe it has to do with television.  College games are to be played on Saturday, unless "moved" for television.

5 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

I believe it has to do with television.  College games are to be played on Saturday, unless "moved" for television.

Makes sense.  At the risk of asking a really dumb question, when you say "College games are to be played on Saturday, unless...."...is that enshrined in league by-laws, for example,  or simply tradition.  If the latter, I'm surprised there hasn't been more dallying with alternatives....

In the end, I just wish they played a few more Friday night games too.

1 minute ago, verandaman said:

Makes sense.  At the risk of asking a really dumb question, when you say "College games are to be played on Saturday, unless...."...is that enshrined in league by-laws, for example,  or simply tradition.  If the latter, I'm surprised there hasn't been more dallying with alternatives....

It is sort of buried in the anti-trust exemption given to the NFL to allow its television deals.  The NFL cannot play on Fridays or Saturdays until after, what is now the Army-Navy game.  It was put into the law to protect college and high school football from being destroyed by the NFL on television in the late 1960s.  The new NFL Black Friday game is played right on the edge of the protected time slots for college and high school time slots.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

It is sort of buried in the anti-trust exemption given to the NFL to allow its television deals.  The NFL cannot play on Fridays or Saturdays until after, what is now the Army-Navy game.  It was put into the law to protect college and high school football from being destroyed by the NFL on television in the late 1960s.  The new NFL Black Friday game is played right on the edge of the protected time slots for college and high school time slots.

There is also an "cannot after 3:00pm EST" in there. That's why the black friday game was played so early. 

2 hours ago, verandaman said:

Friday night is often reserved for HS Football, so some of that may be getting HS players eyeballs and school visits on Saturday. Pure speculation on my part, but could contribute.

12 hours ago, verandaman said:

Plus a lot of FCS schools like the Ivy League care more about the academics over the athletics. Meaning they don’t want student athletes playing on a Tuesday or Wednesday night and getting back late at night. The FBS is more controlled by television and dollars and cents. FCS wasn’t popular in Western New York fans saw it as Division III I went to the FCS UB Bulls football after the UB home opener it was friends and family that I recall. The problem UB has is selling the MAC even when UB is good unfortunately today. As crazy as this sounds Western New York fan is strange. UB Bulls could win 10 straight MAC championships in football which I personally are satisfied with that. But unfortunately the majority of Western New York fans would be more interested in UB being a doormat yearly like Vanderbilt in the SEC or Illinois in the Big Ten Conference. UB losing by 50 plus. Western New York fan oh I saw so and so for Alabama or Michigan at Highmark Stadium. Again would UB sell 60,000 tickets for games like that yes but UB wouldn’t get anymore sports love from Buffalo as there own just it’s a big event to drink and party at. Don’t forget the table to jump through idiots. Unfortunately that is just the way it is in Western New York.

FCS today in Western New York full time again I think if UB Bulls football announced that tomorrow they couldn’t sell 500 tickets to non UB alums in Western New York. Western New York would say UB football folded what a shame. That is how ignorant some of our Buffalo fans are in Western New York. This is a very difficult sports market especially today to sell tickets. There are Buffalo Sabres fans that don’t even think it is worth it to attend a NHL game anymore after 13 years of losing. With television today with access to any team it is very hard to draw fans to the stadium anymore unless the opponent is good or the home team is good or it’s a big event or group outing like a cause or charity event in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo