Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MBB vs Akron 2/17/24

The bar is set REALLY low right now.  So I hoped that they kept it competitive for a half, on a day when they were honoring an all-time great with some others in attendance.  And they did that, up by 6 at the half, partly because they played much better defense today, partly because Akron wasn't shooting well (partly because of that defense).  I figured we might be able to hear Groce explode at halftime in that locker room, and sure enough they eliminated that deficit quick after halftime.  The Bulls stuck around, kept it a 3-5 point game most of the second half but couldn't quite get over that.  Like so many other times, the game was decided in the last 3 minutes and the Bulls folded up.  But I was entertained, the team played hard, especially more physically on defense.  Among so many games to get down about (the Kent game, for instance) or mad about (the NIU game, or the Niagara game), this wasn't the worst.  They were in it today despite some of the worst 3 point shots ever - how many didn't even hit the rim? 

Chatman - his usual double digits, and to his credit, hit his foul shots at the end
Adams - got some good rebounds today, tough to the basket on offense, but fumbled it away at the end.
Zakir - some progress here.  He wasn't afraid to get tough underneath.
Sabol - not his day
Fulcher - getting more confident taking it himself to the hoop.  They need that.
Wilson - wish we saw more.  Hit his foul shots

The team could really use some more depth but I guess Graham and Boldin are hurt?

Akron - until the very end, they were HORRIBLE from the line.  At one point they were 4-14.  The person they trot out there once a game to try foul shots blindfolded was doing about as well.  To the point that I kept thinking, keep fouling them, they can't hit their shots.  First half they weren't hitting three's, second half they started to.  I expected better from Freeman, I thought he was going to have a record day against this UB team, but the Bulls had a plan for him, get physical, and they did a good job of it.  Akron goes to the hoop inside forcefully and confidently.  You match that or you get run over.  

My brother: "Akron's bench warmup shirts say something like 'Right is Right'.  I wonder if those are court-ordered?"

Crowd - the team gave them a reason to get excited at times.  The band does a great job of cheering in the almost total absence of True Blue.

• Like 2

You could tell that Akron's game plan was to feed the ball into Freeman, let UB commit multiple defenders to him, then kick it back outside to someone open.  Except UB seemed to know this was coming, and did a good job of reacting quickly and getting out to cover.  We rip on the coaches a lot, maybe this is one where they deserve some credit for good preparation.

1 hour ago, enrique14150 said:

You could tell that Akron's game plan was to feed the ball into Freeman, let UB commit multiple defenders to him, then kick it back outside to someone open.  Except UB seemed to know this was coming, and did a good job of reacting quickly and getting out to cover.  We rip on the coaches a lot, maybe this is one where they deserve some credit for good preparation.

Pros - I thought the game plan was good on Freeman, For most of the game they stuck to their plan, They were physical, they doubled him consistently from the passer, Pushed out his catches so he got no deep touches and off ball they were very packed in and compact.

Cons - They don't seem to know what they are doing away from the initial game-plan - rotations were sloppy, they often times had 3 guys triple teaming the post-ups instead of just the double team which led to wide open shots for Akron when Freeman got the ball out and we were scrambling - The Screen the Screener action Akron did you could see was worked on - but as the game went on the guys got sloppier in there coverage. 
The last 10 minutes of the game it seemed like the guys stopped communicating on the floor - and the defense was all over the place and not in a good way. A lot of gambles for steals which they didn't get led to Akron baskets. It looked very undisciplined out there the last 12 minutes of the game imparticular.

I'll say this about the game yesterday and the previous couple

Up until yesterday I had little belief that the team next would even be as good as this years team but starting to see actual flashes of player improvement

Started with fulcher a while ago but now seeing it in Zakir and Wilson as well

Also have seen more organized and structured play comparatively (I think the short bench kind of forced this to happen though)

Long ways to go but it's a start

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

I'll say this about the game yesterday and the previous couple

Up until yesterday I had little belief that the team next would even be as good as this years team but starting to see actual flashes of player improvement

Started with fulcher a while ago but now seeing it in Zakir and Wilson as well

Also have seen more organized and structured play comparatively (I think the short bench kind of forced this to happen though)

Long ways to go but it's a start

I completed agree with this take

• Like 2