Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MBB vs NIU | Fri 3/8/24 @ 7pm | ESPN+

4 hours ago, eyjee said:

Sabol getting some good last minute film for the transfer portal 😏

Good I hope he goes he isn’t that good and too slow foot quickness for the MAC level he belongs in the other MAAC to be honest. I wouldn’t have even offered him a scholarship a dime a dozen player. Look at St Bonaventure guards and look at Sabol he doesn’t belong at the MAC level. Lamonte Bearden even when he was on heavy pot smoking is better than Sabol have some standards UB alums/fans. One of the last games Bearden played before he got booted by Nate Oats was on the road against Ohio Bobcats if memory serves me UB Bulls lost in overtime but Bearden was incredible in that game. Bearden is a much better athlete and defender than Sabol in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Beyond zero chance Jo comes back

Bigs get paid in the portal, jo smith about to get paid

I believe I read or heard his family is at every home game because they are just across the boarder but I could be thinking of someone else. Could keep him here. He also generally looks happy to be here 

The three's were dropping early, but even then UB was down by a couple at the half.  The shooting percentage fell off in the second half and except for a tease of a run to get it to 5, they couldn't get over the hump (again).  The team didn't quit, but ran into a guy having a red hot night.

Chatman - someone said I was hating on him.  I think today it would be perfectly justified.  He was having a bad shooting game anyway (it happens), but then goes and gets himself ejected.  At that point he had 5 points...but was called for a goaltending (again), that's -2, plus the 4 free throws he gave them for the technicals, that's -6.  I kept thinking about those 6 points when they were down 5 or 7 points.  Yeah, however are we going to miss this.
Sabol - someone recently thought he wasn't doing well.  Freshmen and sophomores often have a hard time putting forth consistent performances.  His shots were dropping and he rolled with that confidently.
Zakir - wasn't afraid to take it to them inside, even though they were bigger.
McVeigh - another guy who played more confidently and hit a couple of his shots.  He's been shooting better lately (though that bar was set really low)
Smith - slowed down by some early fouls

Northern - props to Coit, that guy was playing awesome.  The big guy in the middle seemed like one of those guys who gets a basketball gig because he's big, not because he's that great at basketball.

7 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

The three's were dropping early, but even then UB was down by a couple at the half.  The shooting percentage fell off in the second half and except for a tease of a run to get it to 5, they couldn't get over the hump (again).  The team didn't quit, but ran into a guy having a red hot night.

Chatman - someone said I was hating on him.  I think today it would be perfectly justified.  He was having a bad shooting game anyway (it happens), but then goes and gets himself ejected.  At that point he had 5 points...but was called for a goaltending (again), that's -2, plus the 4 free throws he gave them for the technicals, that's -6.  I kept thinking about those 6 points when they were down 5 or 7 points.  Yeah, however are we going to miss this.
Sabol - someone recently thought he wasn't doing well.  Freshmen and sophomores often have a hard time putting forth consistent performances.  His shots were dropping and he rolled with that confidently.
Zakir - wasn't afraid to take it to them inside, even though they were bigger.
McVeigh - another guy who played more confidently and hit a couple of his shots.  He's been shooting better lately (though that bar was set really low)
Smith - slowed down by some early fouls

Northern - props to Coit, that guy was playing awesome.  The big guy in the middle seemed like one of those guys who gets a basketball gig because he's big, not because he's that great at basketball.

Among many other comments from me and others still perplexed on how Coach H used Wilson for the last number of games. Early in the game he was getting some minutes on both ends of the floor and then in the 2nd half later in the game he continually substituted him taking him out on the offense end and putting him in on the defensive end. I think he did show some potential as the season went on but he needed to play on both ends to help with his confidence and becoming a little more comfortable. Another instance when Coach H tries to over coach and make the game more complicated than it is. Maybe that is how they played at Villinova with many more good players. Another loss setting or tying some of our worst records in the 90’s and early 2000’s. Wonder if this coaching staff will be able to find any decent recruits, transfers or juco’s who would want to come here and can this coaching staff coach them into becoming good team players. Not sure how many season ticket holders or average fans will continue to support a team like this. Crazy how many open seats in the 114 and other sections have become more and more as each game went on. Time will tell on if there will be any glimpse of hope for next year. Would be nice if Alnutt reduced the ticket prices for next year!!! Just joking I think.

8 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

Chatman - someone said I was hating on him.  I think today it would be perfectly justified.  He was having a bad shooting game anyway (it happens), but then goes and gets himself ejected. 

After Chatman’s ejection and NIU’s ensuing 4/4 FT’s, UB was down 16.  Over the next 8-9 minutes of game time it seemed our offensive flow was much better as the lead was cut to 5 or 6 a couple times, and Adams was also on the bench a lot of that time.  We’ve beaten a dead horse with how young and inexperienced this team was, but I saw some encouraging things over the latter part of the season from Zaakir, Fulcher, Sabol, McVeigh and Wilson.  I hope most if not all of them come back.  As for Boldin, I get the feeling he won’t but hope I’m wrong.

As for McVeigh’s improved shooting, he was 8/15 (53%) from 3 over the final 8 games to bring his season total up to a more respectable 12/42 (28.6%) after a rough start.  I liked his overall energy and was one of the few Bulls who didn’t seem to mind diving on the floor for loose balls. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rma said:

Anybody catch what happened to get him ejected?

It looked like he said something to the one ref and then walking away said something else. As bad as the overall game was from two bad teams the refs ere even worse. I would have liked Coach H to get in the face of the ref who called the T’s but he looks like he sleepwalks through games. Again this could be his personality but that reflects down to how your players act and respond on the court. Looking back on some of our worst teams over all these years this team ranks as one if not the worst teams. I will be very surprised if Bolton Jr. returns when I seen his father at many games and he did not look very happy. I am sure he will have talks with his son and get out of here as quickly as possible. He was never utilized here and he was one player who showed some athletic ability and quickness and another failure on this coaching staff. The one positive is the women’s team who have some freshmen who have improved and with some promising recruits coming in next year.

• Thanks 1

Bluebird - absolutely, I thought the same thing.  The kids started carrying the play on their own.  I don't think they could've handled that a couple months ago.  Again, big picture here, they got a lot more playing time this year than they would've in previous seasons and hopefully that lays a good foundation for the team going forward.

Maybe this is the coach in me talking but I have zero tolerance for anyone who can't keep their cool, yells at the ref and costs the team points.  He lost control of his actions and it hurt the team.  No one else is responsible for that.

• Like 1