Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Raiders/Bulls...Sunday....

5 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

For sure. Should be a good game. You guys have a stingy defense and Culver is a great player.

I just think that Buffalo is definitely going to be a formidable opponent as a #6 seed, and theres a reason you guys are a #6.

Last year, TTU played Florida as a #6 seed...so, I know 6 seeds are very, very tough.

Probably TTU's biggest biggest advantage, will be that it's a lot closer to DFW (about 4.5 hrs from Tulsa)...which is probably our biggest alumni area....so, there's definitely going to be a Red Raider "crowd" advantage.

2 minutes ago, RRbaseketball said:

I just think that Buffalo is definitely going to be a formidable opponent as a #6 seed, and theres a reason you guys are a #6.

Last year, TTU played Florida as a #6 seed...so, I know 6 seeds are very, very tough.

Probably TTU's biggest biggest advantage, will be that it's a lot closer to DFW (about 4.5 hrs from Tulsa)...which is probably our biggest alumni area....so, there's definitely going to be a Red Raider "crowd" advantage.

Totally agree about the crowd. It’s basically going to be a road game for us. It’s funny you mention us as 6 seed. We as a fan base felt we are under seeded. But hey he were are. 

12 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Totally agree about the crowd. It’s basically going to be a road game for us. It’s funny you mention us as 6 seed. We as a fan base felt we are under seeded. But hey he were are. 

Buffalo being in the conference they are in, has hindered their seeding...but, with them, probably being one of the highest "mid-majors" in the tourny...I can promise that Chris Beard is not over-looking Buffalo....especially where Beard has come from.

He has knocked off some opponents...as a mid-major HC.

So, he WILL have his full attention on Buffalo...and i can just hope, our guys do too.

6 minutes ago, RRbaseketball said:

Buffalo being in the conference they are in, has hindered their seeding...but, with them, probably being one of the highest "mid-majors" in the tourny...I can promise that Chris Beard is not over-looking Buffalo....especially where Beard has come from.

He has knocked off some opponents...as a mid-major HC.

So, he WILL have his full attention on Buffalo...and i can just hope, our guys do too.

Don’t get the members of this board going on our conference affiliation, we all want out of the MAC but just disagree about how and which conference suits us best. 

But yea I don’t doubt that Beard will be prepared. Hopefully TT’s youth shows. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Don’t get the members of this board going on our conference affiliation, we all want out of the MAC but just disagree about how and which conference suits us best. 

But yea I don’t doubt that Beard will be prepared. Hopefully TT’s youth shows. 

TTU is NOT a young team, by no means.  Moretti was a star overseas (and his 2nd yr at TTU), Odiasse has been around, Tariq Owens is a grad grand transfer, and so is Matt Mooney. Jarrett Culver may be in his 2nd yr, but is widely projected as a lottery pick.

Mooney, and Moretti, are our 3 pt shooters, and Culver is more of a "slash-type" guy...who can also make some from 3.  Moretti is our best FT shooter, at over 93%.

Tariq Owens is our "shot blocker".

Negatively, for TTU, we can go into a scoring drought...either with too many turnovers, bad shots, taking the time clock too long, or just plain, bad shots.

TTU is NOT very good in the 1st half (I think we led NKU by 4 at half today), and we turn it on in the 2nd half, and that's where we usually take over a game.

1 minute ago, RRbaseketball said:

Negatively, for TTU, we can go into a scoring drought...either with too many turnovers, bad shots, taking the time clock too long, or just plain, bad shots.

TTU is NOT very good in the 1st half (I think we led NKU by 4 at half today), and we turn it on in the 2nd half, and that's where we usually take over a game.

Could have almost written this description about our Bulls. Should be a great game. The mirror match some thought we were getting with ASU but much more competitive. TTU has more reliable shooters than ASU so I expect you will shoot much better than the 3-22 they did from downtown.

Chris Beard is only in his 3rd season at TTU, and has MANY Tech fans excited about the future with him.

We havent experienced this kind of success in basketball before (1996 was really our best season).

Last year, being a 3 seed, and making the Elite 8, and this year, sharing the Big12 with KState.  And, again, being a 3 seed.

10 minutes ago, RRbaseketball said:

TTU is NOT a young team, by no means.  Moretti was a star overseas (and his 2nd yr at TTU), Odiasse has been around, Tariq Owens is a grad grand transfer, and so is Matt Mooney. Jarrett Culver may be in his 2nd yr, but is widely projected as a lottery pick.

Mooney, and Moretti, are our 3 pt shooters, and Culver is more of a "slash-type" guy...who can also make some from 3.  Moretti is our best FT shooter, at over 93%.

Tariq Owens is our "shot blocker".

I not gonna argue experience. Obviously you guys went to the elite 8 last season. Culver was a contributor on that team. Now he is the star. But Mooney and Owens played ball at programs that couldn’t sniff the tournament. So there’s that. And playing overseas is a different animal. 

No doubt Culver is a lottery pick in waiting. But we boast 5 seniors who aren’t afraid. Gonna be about which team imposes their style. 

5 minutes ago, MDBullsfan89 said:

Could have almost written this description about our Bulls. Should be a great game. The mirror match some thought we were getting with ASU but much more competitive. TTU has more reliable shooters than ASU so I expect you will shoot much better than the 3-22 they did from downtown.

Honestly...TTU's game is NOT shooting 3's.  It's about playing defense, driving to the rim, and getting fouled.  Some "easy" 2 pt buckets.

Eventually, kicking out to make a 3 pt shot.

It's a motion offense, much like Bobby Knight ran at IU, and Tech...and where Coach Beard learned from.

Coach Beard was at TTU for about 10 yrs....and learned some from Coach Knight.

6 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I not gonna argue experience. Obviously you guys went to the elite 8 last season. Culver was a contributor on that team. Now he is the star. But Mooney and Owens played ball at programs that couldn’t sniff the tournament. So there’s that. And playing overseas is a different animal. 

No doubt Culver is a lottery pick in waiting. But we boast 5 seniors who aren’t afraid. Gonna be about which team imposes their style. 

If that's what you meant by "youth"...then okay...I can accept that.

8 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

And...I have no doubt your Seniors have played in BIG games, and play.

Really, the BIG key, I think, in these games...is the "bench"....and, I just think TTU has the advantage here.

TTU can go about 8-10 deep....we can rotate players like Brandone Francis in, Norense Odiase in, Kyler Edward's, etc.

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Good stuff with your insight. TT is an easy team to root for, just not on Sunday lol. I love me some defense. Will you be at the game? If so enjoy it. 

At the game???  Oh hell no...lol.  Really wish I could...bc I'm only about 1.5 hrs away, or so....and around Tinker AFB.

1 minute ago, RRbaseketball said:

And...I have no doubt your Seniors have played in BIG games, and play.

Really, the BIG key, I think, in these games...is the "bench"....and, I just think TTU has the advantage here.

TTU can go about 8-10 deep....we can rotate players like Brandone Francis in, Norense Odiase in, Kyler Edward's, etc.

If you guys go that deep that will present trouble. We go comfortably 7 deep. Can play 9 if certain circumstances present themselves.

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

If you guys go that deep that will present trouble. We go comfortably 7 deep. Can play 9 if certain circumstances present themselves.

From what I'm seeing, they only "comfortably" go about 7-8 deep. Only played 7 guys 10+ minutes today and from looking at box scores they don't play more than 8 guys that many minutes even in blowouts.