Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2024 WBB Offseason Transfers/Movement

32 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

This could be a fun team to watch!

To be fair, if this were GH3 you all would be roasting him for bringing in someone with .6 pts per game last year, only scoring in 1 game. Hopefully she has more upside. 

Edited by DaBulls99

Just now, DaBulls99 said:

To be fair, if this were GH3 you all would be roasting him for bringing in someone with .6 pts per game last year. Hopefully she has more upside. 

You can check my threads, I would not be roasting GH3. I think he has a plan and vision. His plan and vision does not involve high end recruits that put up crazy AAU numbers. He is looking for a specific style of player and had several last year that did not want to play whatever he was preaching. Will it work? I don't know, but I am behind him trying it.

As for this recruit, her last year with Burke (2021-22) as a Freshman, she scored 8.2 ppg and 2.9 rpg. She was 12/12 FT and 34.9% 3-PT (60 made) in 896 minutes, she also started 28 or 30 games. Her 1st season at Marshall she was averaging 4.8 ppg and 1.5 rpg, 7/7 FT and 31.3% (35 made) playing 502 minutes. This past season she only played 65 minutes, not sure if it was injury related or performance related.

She obviously knows Burke's style and won't be offended by her coaching style, so it's worth a shot in my opinion.

Great job by the staff working the portal and getting another guard that can shoot the 3! Looking to next years roster I think we have 2 maybe 3 scholarships available if Thompson does not sign. I firmly believe we need more size 6'2 + at the W/F positions and in this age of basketball having another 35% plus  3pt shooter to round out the roster.  Burke had last years team buy into hard nose defensive identity. The lack of size had no impact on the level of effort each player put out. If they can maintain that with the size they have, add scoring diversity so Watson does not have to carry such a high load they have a great odds of being back in the MAC title game🤘

UB .png

2 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

To be fair, if this were GH3 you all would be roasting him for bringing in someone with .6 pts per game last year, only scoring in 1 game. Hopefully she has more upside. 

I have no idea how good this transfer will be, but the notable difference in the two is that GH3 posted the worst season in UB history and Burke was one game from the NCAA tournament. Not to mention that she was originally recruited and played for Burke

38 minutes ago, NC_UBfan said:

Great job by the staff working the portal and getting another guard that can shoot the 3! Looking to next years roster I think we have 2 maybe 3 scholarships available if Thompson does not sign. I firmly believe we need more size 6'2 + at the W/F positions and in this age of basketball having another 35% plus  3pt shooter to round out the roster.  Burke had last years team buy into hard nose defensive identity. The lack of size had no impact on the level of effort each player put out. If they can maintain that with the size they have, add scoring diversity so Watson does not have to carry such a high load they have a great odds of being back in the MAC title game🤘

UB .png

Harness is a senior based on her Twitter post saying 1 year of eligibility left. Wonder where the other scholarships will go. I'm still hoping for more size, hopefully a center or another forward.

18 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I’m guessing these are 2025 recruits coming in?

I’m hoping it’s more size for this coming season but getting a head start on 2025s is a good thing considering we lose Watson after this year. 

Burke picked up another player from the portal freshman 6'1 Makenna Shaffer JUCO Florida Southwestern State.  Good size played guard started 28/30games  12/pts  7.8/reb shot 34% 3pt meets the team needs of size and shooting ability.  There are two scholarships left keep building🤘

image.thumb.png.779fe34d28b4fc2be5147c6a82fc8862.png  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NC_UBfan said:

Burke picked up another player from the portal freshman 6'1 Makenna Shaffer JUCO Florida Southwestern State.  Good size played guard started 28/30games  12/pts  7.8/reb shot 34% 3pt meets the team needs of size and shooting ability.  There are two scholarships left keep building🤘

image.thumb.png.779fe34d28b4fc2be5147c6a82fc8862.png  

She is definitely pulling needs based players that should be able to contribute day 1. Let's see how these last 2 slots play out. Would love to find someone 6'3-6'4 that likes playing with their back to the basket and board cleaner. That could help neutralize some of the advantages teams in the MAC exploited against us.

8 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

She is definitely pulling needs based players that should be able to contribute day 1. Let's see how these last 2 slots play out. Would love to find someone 6'3-6'4 that likes playing with their back to the basket and board cleaner. That could help neutralize some of the advantages teams in the MAC exploited against us.

I'm booking my hotel to Cleveland now if they pick up a mobile 6'3-6'4 rim runner. 🤣

Our Roster may be complete for the WBB team! Coach Burke just posted a huge Boom and said 3/3 Stay tuned. Assuming Makenna is 1 of 3, that means 2 more announcements should be forthcoming in the next day or so. If she got in 3 recruits over the weekend and landed them all, that is wild stuff!!

• Like 1

I went back to look and I was wrong all the scholarships for 2024 seem to be allocated. That is unless Thompson does not sign her NLI during the upcoming window and/or late additions to the portal.  The overall talent level on paper is much better now than a year ago this time. Watson is the only player that has guaranteed minuets for everyone else the competition to get meaningful mins is going to be fierce. Wonder if the OC schedule will include any P5/6 schools this year🤔

image.png.3fa390efa31836ff508d0e9eff254ba6.png

37 minutes ago, rma said:

I really like this pickup. Gives the staff another open scholarship next season, but she will reap us rewards this year. A real low block presence that is used to playing 28 minutes a game, which she will likely not have to do this season, so she can be fresh, clean the boards and give us much needed post scoring. Well done staff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

I really like this pickup. Gives the staff another open scholarship next season, but she will reap us rewards this year. A real low block presence that is used to playing 28 minutes a game, which she will likely not have to do this season, so she can be fresh, clean the boards and give us much needed post scoring. Well done staff.

I had to do a double take, could not really believe it. Burke has via the portal and HS recruiting addressed the weakness of last years and loss to the roster.  We needed a point guard ✔️athletic size for rebounding ✔️ 3pt shooting ✔️ additional scoring options from the bench✔️.  The challenge will be to get them all to jell and play cohesively at a high level. The summer work outs should be extremely competitive along with some team building should help. Looking forward to the season.

13 minutes ago, NC_UBfan said:

I had to do a double take, could not really believe it. Burke has via the portal and HS recruiting addressed the weakness of last years and loss to the roster.  We needed a point guard ✔️athletic size for rebounding ✔️ 3pt shooting ✔️ additional scoring options from the bench✔️.  The challenge will be to get them all to jell and play cohesively at a high level. The summer work outs should be extremely competitive along with some team building should help. Looking forward to the season.

Very impressive offseason. I didn't like losing Ogden, but I think her production won't be missed. Her personality was good and she seemed like a good teammate. I think it will be a really fun season!