Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Season Overview

Lots of ups and downs this season we looked really good for pretty much the whole second half of season. I was convinced they were going back to the dance until they layed an egg in the Mac championship game. NIT was a nice consolidation considering but once again performance was just not where it needed to be with no defense and too many turnovers. To me the biggest suprise of the season was the underperformance of Jayvon graves. There was a lot of talk about him being Mac player of the year, and he came well far from that. He’s shooting was atrocious for most of the year, and his free throw shooting fell to a career low when you would expect some improvement there. At times he looked lost even on defensive end also. Can blame it on COVID, but I really don’t know about that. If anyone saw his Kent state overtime performance his junior year he never showed any glimpse of that this year. We definitely need another starting capable PG, our lack of depth at that position def hurt us this year also. Hopefully Whitesell can land some guys this off-season.

18 minutes ago, Ubbulls84 said:

Lots of ups and downs this season we looked really good for pretty much the whole second half of season. I was convinced they were going back to the dance until they layed an egg in the Mac championship game. NIT was a nice consolidation considering but once again performance was just not where it needed to be with no defense and too many turnovers. To me the biggest suprise of the season was the underperformance of Jayvon graves. There was a lot of talk about him being Mac player of the year, and he came well far from that. He’s shooting was atrocious for most of the year, and his free throw shooting fell to a career low when you would expect some improvement there. At times he looked lost even on defensive end also. Can blame it on COVID, but I really don’t know about that. If anyone saw his Kent state overtime performance his junior year he never showed any glimpse of that this year. We definitely need another starting capable PG, our lack of depth at that position def hurt us this year also. Hopefully Whitesell can land some guys this off-season.

Spot on!

Not making the big dance was a letdown, but this team grew a lot over the course of the season and have nothing to hang their heads over. Next year we’ll be considered front runners in the MAC along with Ohio. The question marks don’t come in until the 2022-2023 season. There’s still plenty of time to figure it out and I’m certainly not panicking over it. 

Certain posters harp on Whitesell for every loss. But sometimes a player has to make a play. I think that was the case vs. CSU.

Whitesell is around .650 winning pct. He's not getting fired for that. If in 2 or 3 years his teams can't get over that hump, or start to dive, then maybe they consider a change.

First wanted to give a historic perspective - providing ranking range and win percentage (MAC conference regular season)

image.thumb.png.2bf885cc82454d97291003172bf1bcfb.png

From a winning percentage perspective - the current year of .706 is fifth best in the past ten years.  From a ranking perspective it is fourth best, a shade below Hurley's second year and Oats third year.  

Here are summary statistics from Barttorvik.com (MAC Conference games only).

image.png.b23bfb802d8cc2dcf682ce0fe494f23f.png

The positives are team defense (lowest opponent eFG% in MAC) and rebounding both offensive and defensive both best in MAC.  Areas where the team lagged was in shooting - 6th overall in the MAC and TO% on offense - 7th in the MAC.  Another issue was relatively small contribution from bench.

Overall getting the second seed and invite to NIT, while not the ultimate goal of this team, I would say merits a 'B'

Now on to the offseason - keys will be retaining the core for next year and completing the recruiting class and getting players that can extend the bench beyond what was available this year.  If they are successful, next year should be an improvement over this and hopefully we are back in the tournament.

2 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

First wanted to give a historic perspective - providing ranking range and win percentage (MAC conference regular season)

image.thumb.png.2bf885cc82454d97291003172bf1bcfb.png

From a winning percentage perspective - the current year of .706 is fifth best in the past ten years.  From a ranking perspective it is fourth best, a shade below Hurley's second year and Oats third year.  

Here are summary statistics from Barttorvik.com (MAC Conference games only).

image.png.b23bfb802d8cc2dcf682ce0fe494f23f.png

The positives are team defense (lowest opponent eFG% in MAC) and rebounding both offensive and defensive both best in MAC.  Areas where the team lagged was in shooting - 6th overall in the MAC and TO% on offense - 7th in the MAC.  Another issue was relatively small contribution from bench.

Overall getting the second seed and invite to NIT, while not the ultimate goal of this team, I would say merits a 'B'

Now on to the offseason - keys will be retaining the core for next year and completing the recruiting class and getting players that can extend the bench beyond what was available this year.  If they are successful, next year should be an improvement over this and hopefully we are back in the tournament.

Do you have any stats showing our pace under Whitesell vs under Oats? I would be curious to see that. 

On 3/20/2021 at 7:25 PM, ub2019 said:

Do you have any stats showing our pace under Whitesell vs under Oats? I would be curious to see that. 

I have had a chance to compile some stats.  The first chart shows pace under Whitesell and Oats limited to MAC conference games to lessen any distortion that may be caused by non-conference opponents.

image.png.a88326b6f3112696e60b603c5fc15d0e.png

This shows that the 'Pace' for first two years under Whitesell is comparable to the last two under Oats (~75 possessions per game).  As each team will generally have the same number of possessions in each game it is useful to see how many points per possession you score vs what you allow.  The following is chart showing Points Per Possession on offense:

image.png.07dbff5f7a7161aa8174252d37496c2e.png

You will see that our offensive efficiency improved this year relative to last year, but was less than 2018 and 2019 seasons.  Our points per possession improved during 2021 - as some of the early season issues were addressed.  One area that prevented us from doing more with our possessions during 2021 was turnovers which we will need to address in 2022 to improve upon this year.  Hopefully we continue the good work on offensive rebounding.

On defensive side, points per possession allowed was comparable to Oats last year and in my opinion a positive to take away from this past season.  Again, hope we can force a few more turnovers in 2022 and continue defensive rebounding.

image.png.9066f3ede8294f59b7905e9fa16cfded.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here are some historical offensive statistics, eFG%, TO% and OR%:

image.png.d6bb600a1f9372620b34e4953d7012c3.png

eFG% ((FG + 0.5 * 3P) / FGA) - This has been relatively stable (between 51%-52%) with the exception of last two years of Oats, which were significantly higher.   Would be nice to improve upon this next year.

TO% (TOV / Poss) - This is an area that the team will need to work on next year - to get closer to Oats / Hurley levels.  This would mean eliminating 1-2 turnovers per game.  Note this is an area where current results are better than Reggie teams.

OR% (ORB / (ORB + DRBopp) - This was a strength of the team this year.  Let's keep this going in 2022!

Edited by DocCas86

13 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Agreed.  His rebounding has helped significantly in giving us second chance opportunities and limiting them for our opponents. 

Not only him but the team as a whole. We were the best rebounding team in the nation. A key component to that great run we had late in the season. 

• Like 1

Just now, mikescherrer8 said:

Not only him but the team as a whole. We were the best rebounding team in the nation. A key component to that great run we had late in the season. 

I had started to add rebounding of rest of team in my reply, but ended up leaving off.  Thank you for addition.