Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Winter Break Student Section Ideas

bull_trojan

We play 4 home games during finals and winter break, which is 29% of our home games.

I read a lot that our building wont be full or have the same atmosphere minus the students, which made me think of my time at UB. I went to games with my UB friends, but I could never get a non-UB local to pay to go to a UB game with me. 

So what if during finals and break, every student could bring 2 to 3 friends with them for free? Might keep the student section full and might help develop some more local fans who will presumably return to Buffalo after their college careers.

Any other ideas?

11 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

... Any other ideas? 

I never made many non-UB local friends while in Buffalo.  So, I'm not sure who I would have invited.

But, what about continuing the same type of give-a-ways (free t-shirt to the first xxx) instead of student, to the first anyone (while the students are away).  Armed with the appropriate attire, they could fill the student section, and at least look the part (even if they don't end up sounding the part).

55 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

So what if during finals and break, every student could bring 2 to 3 friends with them for free?

The past few years, this year included, students can do that.  1 free friend, additional tagalongs pay $10.

Need the core True Blue people to make it loud though.

41 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

But, what about continuing the same type of give-a-ways (free t-shirt to the first xxx) instead of student, to the first anyone (while the students are away).

This is also done.  Past few years has been tee shirts and bobbleheads.  This year I think the game vs Stanford is free shirts.

19 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Thanks rma, some of  the graduated transplants are out of touch.  😞

I was worried I wouldn't be able to fill my apartment up with UB crap once I graduated, but they've had some solid giveaways the past few years.

FWIW, the giveaway for the WBB game last year helped bring in a 2k crowd vs Toledo.  So you aren't off base at all.

1 hour ago, rma said:

... So you aren't off base at all.

Unfortunately the request was for 'how do we improve', and not 'how did we get here'.

So, another idea... Could the UBRewards app (the one I don't know much about) be extended to include Alumni in addition to current Students?  Perhaps a 2X reward for living 500 miles away, 3X reward for 1k miles, and so on.

15 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

Ok robot student fans with webcams controlled by students in Long Island at home on their mobile phones.

... and, this is how UB Athletics Innovation Incubator Company No. 001 was born.

Only not robots in the stands, but drones in the air.  Develop a system that provides mini drones that are rent-able from the venue, just like current seat tickets.  Armed with cameras and microphones, the out of towner could catch any action they wanted.  Spring for the high end version with speaker, and you can heckle anyone from anywhere.   A cage to protect the players.  A net to protect the fans, and seat sightlines.  Collision avoidance software would be built in, to protect the drones from one another.  The flight plan location user priority algorithm is still in development.  It will prevent bottlenecks at premium viewing spots.  Dogfights won't be tolerated.  For an additional fee, the renter could enter a DRL sponsored race series; Halftime Under the Bleachers.  TV broadcasting companies will require a cut of the revenue.  But, this wouldn't just apply to UB Basketball during the break, it would be avaliable all season.  UB Stadium could be outfitted with a similar system.  In fact, it would be marketed to all sporting venues, everywhere.  Profits for UB would increase from the individual rentals.  Profits for UB Athletics Innovation Incubator Company No. 001 are unlimited for the entire system setup.  Patent applications have been submitted.  Who wants to join in this venture?