Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2004–05 Buffalo Bulls men's basketball team

DCA

No idea, but enjoying the reminiscing as this was my freshman year.  That Fairleigh Dickinson game still lives on with me and a buddy of mine, pretty sure UB came back from like a 7-point deficit with like 25 seconds left to force OT, and then won it.  Pretty sure there was an inbound under the opposing basket alley-oop at some point too that fired up the crowd.  I want to say it was maybe the day before Thanksgiving, very sparse crowd with most of the students having gone home for break, but we were locals so came back to campus for the game.

That semifinal win over Western is the only time I've ever been able to make it to Cleveland for the games.  Remember celebrating courtside with the team after the game ended, and then a long overnight drive back to UB with some kids from my dorm, packed into my beatup Oldsmobile.  Had to work that Saturday so I couldn't stay for the final the next day.  Life, work, etc. have all conspired to keep me from making it back there in the past 17 years now.

Edited by UBlearns

2 hours ago, DCA said:

First post in several years just to say that I published an article about the 2004–05 men's season on Wikipedia. Also wondering if anyone knows who the assistant coaches were for that season. I can't seem to find any info about that anywhere.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004–05_Buffalo_Bulls_men's_basketball_team

I'd guess Jim Kwitchoff, possibly Mike Mennenga and Chris Hawkins

2 hours ago, UBlearns said:

No idea, but enjoying the reminiscing as this was my freshman year.  That Fairleigh Dickinson game still lives on with me and a buddy of mine, pretty sure UB came back from like a 7-point deficit with like 25 seconds left to force OT, and then won it.  Pretty sure there was an inbound under the opposing basket alley-oop at some point too that fired up the crowd.  I want to say it was maybe the day before Thanksgiving, very sparse crowd with most of the students having gone home for break, but we were locals so came back to campus for the game.

That semifinal win over Western is the only time I've ever been able to make it to Cleveland for the games.  Remember celebrating courtside with the team after the game ended, and then a long overnight drive back to UB with some kids from my dorm, packed into my beatup Oldsmobile.  Had to work that Saturday so I couldn't stay for the final the next day.  Life, work, etc. have all conspired to keep me from making it back there in the past 17 years now.

The inbounds to Bortz for the slam with about like 1.5 left. Was nuts. To me that season was the start of everything. We turned things around that year and I remember the sea of blue game against Kent state. And of course winning a first round tournament game at home. And of course the heartbreaker to Ohio. 

Edited by DooleyBull06
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

Ah the 2004-2005 season…still have the Mighty Maniacs shirt. Underdogs. Hungry team. Pick your seat at Alumni. Simpler times. 

Defecto student section was right behind the benches on the wood bench style seats. And we stood and yelled for all 40 minutes. Def good times

37 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Defecto student section was right behind the benches on the wood bench style seats. And we stood and yelled for all 40 minutes. Def good times

That’s how it was in the early 90s too, great times even though we were not winning much. Hopeful for the future, which has turned out pretty good!