Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB vs Miami OH

Blue03

1 hour ago, JFH47 said:

Correction Reggie was fired by Danny White when he got off the bus. 

Former University at Buffalo basketball coach Reggie Witherspoon expressed continued surprise over his dismissal Monday and said he’s still unclear what motivated new athletic director Danny White to release him after 14 years on the job.

Correction part 2 - they didn't lose the first game in the tournament in 2013.  They were the 8 seed, they won their first round game vs Central, then upset the 5 seed Ball State in Cleveland, and lost in the quarterfinals to Kent.  That team had a few good players but no depth beyond the starters, and had to ride them all game.

17 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Jim’s worst year and he finished all of 1 game behind your idol Jeff Boals. Nobody has ever said Jim is great. He is what his career record says he is. Average. We can do better. We could also do worse. I’ll always remain an optimist for my team. Doesn’t mean I’m unaware of reality. 

Not sure why you're calling me out or saying that Jeff Boals is my idol. I've been critical of Boals all season in my other circles regarding his rotations and stubbornness at times.

I have been far from the most critical UB fan on this board. The only thing I've been hard on them is that they've decided to settle for being average rather than striving to be great.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Like 1

And to add to my previous point, Ohio fans are upset that they're 18-13 (10-8) and don't believe they have any shot in Cleveland despite being 134th in KenPom.

Some of the posters on this board are content because we're entertaining and finished where we were projected before the season. UB is 15-16 (9-9) and 198th in KenPom.

Ohio has not been consistently great in the MAC over the past decade while UB had one the best five years runs in the history of the conference not too long ago.

Why is it that Bobcat fans have higher expectations for their program than Buffalo fans? That's a problem.

• Like 1

I don’t think anyone is content and everyone knows to improve we need new leadership. But the second we miss 2 shots in a row it’s all doom and gloom and everything is awful. We get it. We just don’t need to hear it over and over again. What will happen, will happen. We still want our team to succeed every time they take the court. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

I don’t think anyone is content and everyone knows to improve we need new leadership. But the second we miss 2 shots in a row it’s all doom and gloom and everything is awful. We get it. We just don’t need to hear it over and over again. What will happen, will happen. We still want our team to succeed every time they take the court. 

I'm on the same page with you on all of that and typically don't post during games for that reason.

Believe me, I'm not a doom and gloomer with UB basketball. I still think they have the building blocks to be a successful program. It's just been a frustrating year.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

I don’t feel I was doom and gloom yesterday. I strictly stick to what my eyes see. Yesterdays first half was terrible. No one can find any good in it. Second half was a different story. We found some energy and come back and won. Yay. I will always cheer for wins. But I think I’m (we, are) entitled to criticize when it’s right. I am on record in thinking we need a new coach. And yes I flat out will say this season was disappointing. We could’ve been better. Think about the CMU collapse. Could’ve been as high as a 4/5 seed. No reason we couldn’t. No we aren’t on the level of the top 3 teams in the conference. And I’m afraid going forward we are slipping further from them. That’s my concern. And that falls on the coach. As far as this forum goes I think we are now splintering into several factions. Before there was two groups. Those who supported Whitesell and those who didn’t. I’m afraid some here are becoming accepting of being a middle of the pack conference team. We should demand and strive for more. We’ve tasted success. I want more. And I want everyone here on board with that. Despite how critical we can be.

Watching Anderson Mirambeaux in this game - we were impressed by what a nice touch he had under the basket.  But it impressed upon me how you can't just get any player for your roster.  Mirambeaux would be useless on UB, which requires everyone to be able to run the floor.  Mirambeaux could only play in spurts, and looked like he was going to have a stroke when he ran the court.  He could back his way to the net but when he tried to dribble there at the end, it was like watching an out-of-control delivery truck.  It's so imperative to get guys who can play the style you want to play. And thus why guys will transfer when there's a coaching change.  I remember Will Regan, a very good player, had a tough time in Bobby Hurley's offense.

25 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

Watching Anderson Mirambeaux in this game - we were impressed by what a nice touch he had under the basket.  But it impressed upon me how you can't just get any player for your roster.  Mirambeaux would be useless on UB, which requires everyone to be able to run the floor.  Mirambeaux could only play in spurts, and looked like he was going to have a stroke when he ran the court.  He could back his way to the net but when he tried to dribble there at the end, it was like watching an out-of-control delivery truck.

Which is what made the first half so infuriating. He was on the floor for extended minutes. And he was effective. Yet during our offensive struggles, no one ran a pick and roll at him. No one tried to make him defend in space. All ways to fatigue him and get him in foul trouble. 

As to your point about recruiting to a coaches style, I completely agree. I don’t think Whitesell has recruited players that don’t fit his style per se. I think he’s had recruiting misses. I think this is an interesting question: our style, which is very much the Nate Oats brand of basketball, is that what Whitesell wants to run? Or what he has kind of been forced to run?

Edited by DooleyBull06

51 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

Watching Anderson Mirambeaux in this game - we were impressed by what a nice touch he had under the basket.

I was impressed at the number of times he got the ball to fall on the outside of the basket after rolling around the rim.

1 hour ago, rma said:

I was impressed at the number of times he got the ball to fall on the outside of the basket after rolling around the rim.

He sure had a spin on the ball when he shot. Some spun in the basket only to spin out. In the first 11 minutes of the second half, he was 0-6.  He was 3-4 after that.

Would have been a much different story if any of those shots actually stayed in.

He had a good touch on the ball for a "big guy".

Edited by bullsbball

5 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I don’t feel I was doom and gloom yesterday. I strictly stick to what my eyes see. Yesterdays first half was terrible. No one can find any good in it. Second half was a different story. We found some energy and come back and won. Yay. I will always cheer for wins. But I think I’m (we, are) entitled to criticize when it’s right. I am on record in thinking we need a new coach. And yes I flat out will say this season was disappointing. We could’ve been better. Think about the CMU collapse. Could’ve been as high as a 4/5 seed. No reason we couldn’t. No we aren’t on the level of the top 3 teams in the conference. And I’m afraid going forward we are slipping further from them. That’s my concern. And that falls on the coach. As far as this forum goes I think we are now splintering into several factions. Before there was two groups. Those who supported Whitesell and those who didn’t. I’m afraid some here are becoming accepting of being a middle of the pack conference team. We should demand and strive for more. We’ve tasted success. I want more. And I want everyone here on board with that. Despite how critical we can be.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there are too many people on the board that would be happy with UB consistently being middle of the pack.  I know I personally want better.  I sense the players want better.  To me, they generally played hard, which makes it  easy to root for them.  You could say I am guilty that my comments only highlight positive things and I am silent when the team underperformed.  This is my way to pull for the team, which is my intent, not expressing satisfaction with 9-9 in the MAC.  

• Like 3