Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

If you care about UB basketball, reach out to your contacts and say NO to Mike Anderson

7 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I looked at your post history and literally none of it is Xs and Os. You also suggested Will Brown. Thank god you're not running the search
image.thumb.png.3f804fa5dee99c57ecc078c6caa5f1bc.png

He did well at the Patroons but nah, he’s not my number one. Definitely better than Anderson though.

Fair enough, wouldn't want a retread, but anyway here's a guy who got fired for not winning enough in one of the worst conferences in the country. We can look the other way though because he had a good season in "The Basketball League". Is this Will Brown's account? 

Edited by trueblue32
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Would love to see your Xs and Os break down on why Mike Anderson is a bad hire

Here’s an X and O break down. His coaching style is out of touch and outdated. He employs a frenetic pressing defensive system. He needs players to buy into that. And he has a very specific style and player he must recruit. When you’re that narrow in recruiting you are doomed to fail. I like things he does, like trapping/pressing, but not doing it all the time. Kinda like Syracuse and the 2/3 zone. Good for a little bit but once figured out you are doomed. He had very little success in a down big east, doesn’t bode well going forward. As others have said, give me someone who is an up and comer. Wants to get to a P5 not a retread has been. Sure he might be a great guy and father figure and great for the image of buffalo, but he doesn’t move the needle. Sound familiar? I don’t see recruits wanting to play for him. 

On offense he uses a very guard oriented system. I’ve posted this in other threads, our roster is very good for his style. Guards who dribble dribble dribble. We need to move on from that. We need a full change. Not another old guy. He was a questionable hire at SJU bc of his lack of northern roots, now we want him?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Here’s an X and O break down. His coaching style is out of touch and outdated. He employs a frenetic pressing defensive system. He needs players to buy into that. And he has a very specific style and player he must recruit. When you’re that narrow in recruiting you are doomed to fail. I like things he does, like trapping/pressing, but not doing it all the time. Kinda like Syracuse and the 2/3 zone. Good for a little bit but once figured out you are doomed. He had very little success in a down big east, doesn’t bode well going forward. As others have said, give me someone who is an up and comer. Wants to get to a P5 not a retread has been. Sure he might be a great guy and father figure and great for the image of buffalo, but he doesn’t move the needle. Sound familiar? I don’t see recruits wanting to play for him. 

On offense he uses a very guard oriented system. I’ve posted this in other threads, our roster is very good for his style. Guards who dribble dribble dribble. We need to move on from that. We need a full change. Not another old guy. He was a questionable hire at SJU bc of his lack of northern roots, now we want him?

I wanna preface with the fact that Mike Anderson would be at best my third choice among who we’ve been connected to. His press hasn’t been solved, his offenses were the issue at St. John’s. Almost all successful mid-majors need a niche to recruit to and excel at, his press is not an issue, (think SFA, VCU, etc.) He’s recruiting fine, he just pulled in the 38th ranked class and there are a ton of P5 retreads killing recruiting at the mid-major level. He’d instantly be the most accomplished coach in UB history (prior to coming to UB) and the only one able to say they’ve produced NBA players. I won’t argue that he’s the best option because I agree I’d like an up and comer, but call UB and say NO is wacko shit

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I wanna preface with the fact that Mike Anderson would be at best my third choice among who we’ve been connected to. His press hasn’t been solved, his offenses were the issue at St. John’s. Almost all successful mid-majors need a niche to recruit to and excel at, his press is not an issue, (think SFA, VCU, etc.) He’s recruiting fine, he just pulled in the 38th ranked class and there are a ton of P5 retreads killing recruiting at the mid-major level. He’d instantly be the most accomplished coach in UB history (prior to coming to UB) and the only one able to say they’ve produced NBA players. I won’t argue that he’s the best option because I agree I’d like an up and comer, but call UB and say NO is wacko shit

He’s not my first choice nor is he my last. I didn’t say his press was solved. I said once solved during a game he’s doomed bc he has no other tactic. Again, he’s a great father figure type coach, great for the reputation of UB, we could do a lot worse. For the record I’m not calling UB and saying no. I’ll support anyone we hire. I would just like to see someone younger. I feel  a coach who went 30-46 in 4 years in a down big east doesn’t excite me.