Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

‘23-‘24 Womens Hoops Roster

Jeseph

6 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Say what you will…coach Burke gets players to sign. 

Yeah, really wish we knew what exactly happened last year. Losing 3 assistants, which was likely the big reason for losing all the recruits. I know we will never know. She did backfill late in the process with some very good players. I hope this group of coaches is more stable for a year or two. I'm eager to see the product on the court.

Ok so the team picked up another big 6'0" G/F Chryssi Gouzelou for the 2023-2024 season. Being able to earn a roster spot on a Euroleague team is impressive. That would put the roster at 16. I bet this summer/fall is going to be very competitive to determine playing time.  

s

2 hours ago, NC_UBfan said:

Ok so the team picked up another big 6'0" G/F Chryssi Gouzelou for the 2023-2024 season. Being able to earn a roster spot on a Euroleague team is impressive. That would put the roster at 16. I bet this summer/fall is going to be very competitive to determine playing time.  

s

Should be fun! We also have a nice blend of Freshman plus Juniors/Seniors/Grad. Ogden is our lone Sophomore I believe.

Edited by UBinMD

23 hours ago, NC_UBfan said:

It would appear that Tehya Lyons from an earlier announcement (never saw anything official from UB on here originally) isn't coming since she still isn't on the UB Roster page but Chryssi Gouzelou already is. 

56 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

It would appear that Tehya Lyons from an earlier announcement (never saw anything official from UB on here originally) isn't coming since she still isn't on the UB Roster page but Chryssi Gouzelou already is. 

I'm thinking the same. Coach Burke said Final Piece on Twitter, so I'm guessing the roster is set at 16. Baron is a grad and played limited minutes and Johnson is coming back from injury, so we will see if can contribute. She had some good games early on. I'm very eager to see what Watson brings to the table. Coach Burke said she is the best player in the MAC, so I guess we will find out!

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

The season is gonna be like beer league softball. We will be that team with a rotating roster and ringers that goes on to win it all.

I'm available to ring. Shortstop with some power

😂

edit: I see we weren't actually talking about playing beer league ball. Disregard! 

Edited by MuchMany
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, promotherobot said:

Heard she has offers from WVU, Perdue and Minnesota. 20+ offers total. Not holding my breath she ends up at Buffalo.

You never know, but there is something to be said about the verbal commitment. Someone must talk a good game.

Looks like 6’0” W Emerita Mashaire has reentered the portal after previously entering in March and withdrawing in May. The roster now sits at 15. With summer workouts in full swing, the amount of depth/talent at each position can only assume competition for playing time is high. Looking forward to the full schedule release ready for some wild predictions. Only game that has been released is the road game vs Old Dominion going call that a W😅

IMG_4905.thumb.jpeg.01bc75774c4515d5cf97994544a682ab.jpeg

5 hours ago, NC_UBfan said:

Looks like 6’0” W Emerita Mashaire has reentered the portal after previously entering in March and withdrawing in May. The roster now sits at 15. With summer workouts in full swing, the amount of depth/talent at each position can only assume competition for playing time is high. Looking forward to the full schedule release ready for some wild predictions. Only game that has been released is the road game vs Old Dominion going call that a W😅

IMG_4905.thumb.jpeg.01bc75774c4515d5cf97994544a682ab.jpeg

Guess she isn't feeling good about her chances to get on the floor. A little late in the game, but wish her well.

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Guess she isn't feeling good about her chances to get on the floor. A little late in the game, but wish her well.

She has been removed from the roster on the website. I guess her time at UB is complete. What a weird year 1.

I am dismayed that there will be only three players returning from last year's team: Ogden, Johnson and Watson. This is a huge amount of turnover, even in the transfer portal era.

I was hoping that last year, after the roster chaos when FLJ left, that there might be some emphasis on retaining players and building for the future. But that apparently hasn't happened in year one of Becky Burke. I now hope this will happen in the upcoming year, that a solid foundation of players will be developed and retained, but I will be skeptical until I see it myself.

Edited by dj_paige
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, dj_paige said:

I am dismayed that there will be only three players returning from last year's team: Ogden, Johnson and Watson. This is a huge amount of turnover, even in the transfer portal era.

I was hoping that last year, after the roster chaos when FLJ left, that there might be some emphasis on retaining players and building for the future. But that apparently hasn't happened in year one of Becky Burke. I now hope this will happen in the upcoming year, that a solid foundation of players will be developed and retained, but I will be skeptical until I see it myself.

I would love some insight into what actually went on. We knew there would be significant turnover after last season, we had a number of rental players with 1 year or eligibility left. Johnson is one of those that would have left except for a medical exemption.

my questions are, is BB a bitch? Are her practices too hard? Does she not treat people with respect? Is her style more old school and not as touchy-feely as todays athletes may required. Im sure lots of players could not play under Geno, Pat Summit, Dawn Staley, etc. Also, sometimes really successful players are tough coaches, especially early in their career.

or

Did she not recruit the right players to fit her personality and coaching style. Were the assistant coaches the wrong fit for her style. 

As for the assistants, one went back to HS coaching, one went back to a previous employer and one went to another school a couple notches down from the MAC.

Somewhere along the line something happened that poisoned the waters and the assistant departures, mainly Coach Foust, seem to have led to the recruiting class exodus.

I realize I will never get any answers, but if anything similar happens this year, ADMA will have a tough decision on his hands.

As long as there are no recruiting violations or allegations of misconduct against Burke then I’m willing to let things play out. I agree it’s all been weird and not a peep has come out from the school. Just rumors and nonsense on social, which you take with a grain of salt. As far as Burke’s leash…last year showed enough promise to give her the benefit of the doubt. This year may be a replica of last year. Which, given the turmoil and turnover, might be all we could ask for. 

• Like 1

Speaking of letting things play out, let us not forget that Lance Leipold went 2-10 his 2nd year at UB. So a terrible 2nd year doesn't, in my mind, mean that the coach should get canned. Then there's Blair Brown Lipsitz, who coached UB volleyball to a 3-13 record in the MAC her second year, but the next two years both set program records for wins in the MAC. So while the situation with Becky Burke doesn't look good at the moment, two years from now we might all be saying what a great coach Burke is ... or maybe not. So, yes, let things play out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dj_paige said:

Speaking of letting things play out, let us not forget that Lance Leipold went 2-10 his 2nd year at UB. So a terrible 2nd year doesn't, in my mind, mean that the coach should get canned. Then there's Blair Brown Lipsitz, who coached UB volleyball to a 3-13 record in the MAC her second year, but the next two years both set program records for wins in the MAC. So while the situation with Becky Burke doesn't look good at the moment, two years from now we might all be saying what a great coach Burke is ... or maybe not. So, yes, let things play out.

I am with you 100%, outside of abuse or violations, I am behind her, the staff and student athletes. It’s just when things happen as they did, it raises my curiosity and I know my curiosity will never be satisfied in this situation. I also deal with a lot of people of the athletes generation and around “sport parents” and hangers on enough to know nothing surprises me anymore.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dj_paige said:

Our new team, 80% reset from 1 year ago. We have 3 returning players, one of which did not play last season due to transfer rules. On paper, it’s a solid squad. I’m also hopeful the new staff works better together and unites the players into a more “healthy” atmosphere.

Edited by UBinMD
  • Like 2