Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

‘23-‘24 Womens Hoops Roster

Jeseph

On 7/11/2023 at 6:31 PM, UBinMD said:

Our new team, 80% reset from 1 year ago. We have 3 returning players, one of which did not play last season due to transfer rules. On paper, it’s a solid squad. I’m also hopeful the new staff works better together and unites the players into a more “healthy” atmosphere.

I think that should say 4 returning players, one of which did not play last season ...

The 4 are Baron, Ogden, Johnson and Watson (who didn't play last season due to transfer rules). Baron of course, was a walk-on, playing only garbage time minutes, and I'm not really expecting anything different from her this year. So, if that expectation proves to be correct, that is the equivalent of 3 returning players as Baron won't contribute. She's a great story, however.

3 hours ago, dj_paige said:

Incoming freshman Paula Lopez (uniform #12) is listed on the roster as being from Spain, but she will play for Argentina in the upcoming World Championships.

There are a couple of interesting articles about this kid that alludes to her family orientating from Argentina and provides insight about her. Thankfully chrome translated 😅  The kid put up decent numbers during international play.  Along with the other 23”signees Coach BB may have something going this year. Definitely looking forward to hearing information about the progression of the players.

https://www.argentina.basketball/ver/noticia/paula-lopez-es-un-honor-poder-representar-a-la-argentina

https://www.argentina.basketball/ver/noticia/paula-lopez-vestir-la-camiseta-argentina-es-todo-un-orgullo-para-mi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dj_paige said:

I think that should say 4 returning players, one of which did not play last season ...

The 4 are Baron, Ogden, Johnson and Watson (who didn't play last season due to transfer rules). Baron of course, was a walk-on, playing only garbage time minutes, and I'm not really expecting anything different from her this year. So, if that expectation proves to be correct, that is the equivalent of 3 returning players as Baron won't contribute. She's a great story, however.

You are correct, I forgot that Kiara Johnson got a medical redshirt year. She played well early on so hopefully she can be a solid contributor again this year.

On 7/15/2023 at 5:45 AM, dj_paige said:

Incoming freshman Paula Lopez (uniform #12) is listed on the roster as being from Spain, but she will play for Argentina in the upcoming World Championships.

Correction: she will play in the FIBA U19 World Cup

6 hours ago, dj_paige said:

Correction: she will play in the FIBA U19 World Cup

Their first game against France was rough. I think they lost by 60. She had a few rebounds, a couple assists but no points when I looked. She may have scored a little after the game was out of hand. Still a cool experience to play in that type of international tournament 

just looked at stat line:

4pts (1/10 FG), 3 reb, 1 asst, 6TO, -36 while she was on the court. They only lost by 54, so apparently they got a little better than my original view of the game.

Edited by UBinMD

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Their first game against France was rough. I think they lost by 60. She had a few rebounds, a couple assists but no points when I looked. She may have scored a little after the game was out of hand. Still a cool experience to play in that type of international tournament 

just looked at stat line:

4pts (1/10 FG), 3 reb, 1 asst, 6TO, -36 while she was on the court. They only lost by 54, so apparently they got a little better than my original view of the game.

They are playing Australia down 21 but Lopez is the Argentina U19 starting PG. She has good vision and strong with the rock. It’s only summer but it really looks like Coach BB has put together a competitive team. How soon is too soon for a predictions thread🤔🤣

2 minutes ago, dj_paige said:

In game 2, Lopez gets the start and leads Argentina in points (8), assists (3) and steals (3), on 4-for-15 shooting. Argentina gets blown out by Australia 85–45, so all the offensive numbers for Argentina are quite low.

Yeah, not sure Argentina is very good. We will see what Lopez can bring to MAC WBB.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, 1975 said:

Extension based on what exactly? Having most of the team and staff walk away? Win-loss record? 

She put together a team of transfers that got decimated by injury. Got them to over perform taking the eventual  MAC tournament winner to a last second miss in OT. Behind the scene something with that staff clearly was not clicking they were all let go and with them the entire first recruiting class.  Looks like Alnutt is giving BB a mulligan which makes since if she can get this team to equal or outperform last years maligned team which had only one player coming off the bench in conference play. 

6 hours ago, 1975 said:

Extension based on what exactly? Having most of the team and staff walk away? Win-loss record? 

Exactly. What has she done to earn an extension? Many players and coaches went AWOL last year.

4 hours ago, NC_UBfan said:

She put together a team of transfers that got decimated by injury.

It wasn't just injuries. It was players walking away from the team as well.

She gets into fights with other coaches. And on several occasion was very nasty yelling at her players during games.

Last year, they only played well the last 3 games of the season and played well in the loss to Toledo. Other than that, I didn't see much.

Be interesting to see who takes the court for this team in a few weeks.

For the record, here is the current roster according to the UB Website before it gets updated with changes.

0	Jessica Wangolo	Fr.
1	Rana Elhusseini	Sr.	
2	Kirsten Lewis-Williams	Fr.			
4	Ella Take	Fr.			
5	Sitota Gines	Jr.		
11	Briyanna Baron	Gr.
12	Paula Lopez	Fr.			
15	Ida Jonsson Ojala	Jr.	
20	Chryssi Gouzelou	Fr.			
22	Kiara Johnson	Gr.	
23	Alexis Davis	Fr.			
30	Katie Burton	Jr.	
33	Hattie Ogden	So.			
34	Chanteese Craig	Jr.		
35	Chellia Watson	R-Sr.

Edited by bullsbball

On 9/19/2023 at 6:41 PM, NC_UBfan said:

She put together a team of transfers that got decimated by injury. Got them to over perform taking the eventual  MAC tournament winner to a last second miss in OT. Behind the scene something with that staff clearly was not clicking they were all let go and with them the entire first recruiting class.  Looks like Alnutt is giving BB a mulligan which makes since if she can get this team to equal or outperform last years maligned team which had only one player coming off the bench in conference play. 

Revisionist history at its finest.

• Haha 1