Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB WBB vs StoneHill 11/17 6pm

NC_UBfan

Looking forward to seeing continued progress in rebounding, TOs, half court offensive flow and defensive pressure without fouling. I don't think the starting 5 made it out the 1qt let alone the half of a game with out two or more  of them having 2+ fouls. Also the team has yet to hold a lead going into half 3 games in so that would be great to see as well.  This should be a wire to wire route by 20+ giving us a opportunity to see  more of the bench and the capabilities/skill sets they bring. Lopez the freshman has shown glimpses of being a playmaker but shots had not been dropping.  Would like to see the other freshmen Take and Wangolo get on the floor along with the two transfers from St. Johns. 

Should be a winnable game.  It is very early in the season, but I wanted to see where UB is perceived to be in terms of the MAC.  Only ranking site I am aware of for WBB is Massey (need a BarbiePom.com or LisaTorvik.com - please forgive my attempted humor).  Based on Massey the women are ranked fifth best in the MAC at 163.  They are behind Ball St (83); Toledo (90); Kent (109) and Bowling Green (113).

• Like 1

As good as the play was against Niagara this first half is the opposite. The inability to finish at the rim is a problem against this caliber of team. I’m sure Coach B is going to have words about the half court execution or at least I hope so. To many fouls and unforced TOs. Expect to see significant improvement next half, Go Bulls!!

Is it wrong to feel bad about a 20pt win? The inability to finish at the rim, horrific FT% and lack of half court execution has to be addressed. The team needs another player to trigger the offense other than Watson to at least give the illusion of diversity to opposing teams. The defense was good all around so that’s a big plus but if this team wants to beat St. Bonaventure changes in execution need to be made. 

A few more points:

• UB forwards missed many inside shots. Especially Davis and Johnson
  • Criag was in there briefly and they were trying to post her up but she did nothing as well. Not impressed with her at all especially given her weight.
  • Guards did well on both defense, and rebounding.
  • Ojala has "happy feet". It gets her in foul trouble.
  • UB needs to improve on their FT. 8 of 17 (47%) is not good.
  • Good game by Watson and Ogden.
  • Stonehill was bad through 3 quarters. 22.5% (9 of 40) from the field, 11.1% (2 of 18) from three. Pregame radio announcer said they were bad last game with 3s and they threw up alot of them.
  • Davis and Johnson could tone-down the eyelash makeup. They look like raccoons from where I'm sitting instead of basketball players.
  • And for those looking for a Dazzler update, how many outfits do they have? They changed yet again at halftime into all black pants, white shirt and a black zip-up top.
Edited by bullsbball

52 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

Did I just watch a high school basketball game? Way too many missed shots by both teams especially in the first 3 quarters.

That was hard to watch.

Do agree. It was hard to watch. UB’s defense was good but Stonehill was getting shots but just could not make them. Do agree UB has to work on their half court offense. Watson was forcing many of her drives to the basket when the defense was waiting for her. There were many missed shots near the basket by several players. We do know the MAC teams will watch film on our games and try to double and take Watson out of her comfort zone. The key is how both the coaching staff and players can adjust once in MAC play. 

Stonehill threw up garbage shots all game and amazingly made some (though very few) of those shots. Air balls and shots that weren’t even close to the basket if they could even get a shot up during the lengthy shot clock were plentiful. UB should have won this game by 50, and Burke seemed to feel the same way. Shortly after the start of the second half she yelled something to the players on the court along the lines of “You have to play better, it’s embarrassing.” Normally a good lead at the half isn’t embarrassing but 23 points isn’t going to work in MAC play. 

• Like 1

• Davis and Johnson could tone-down the eyelash makeup. They look like raccoons from where I'm sitting instead of basketball players.  What difference does this make?  
  • And for those looking for a Dazzler update, how many outfits do they have? They changed yet again at halftime into all black pants, white shirt and a black zip-up top.  You forgot the change from white sneakers to blue ones.

14 hours ago, bullsbball said:

Good game by Watson and Ogden

I’ll be honest I was hoping for more from Watson. She finished pretty strong but until late she was shooting like 30%, and she had a lot of trouble close to the rim. She could’ve been looking at a 30 point game, hoping for more teeth next game, she could be unstoppable. 

Edited by Blue03

1 hour ago, Blue03 said:

I’ll be honest I was hoping for more from Watson. She finished pretty strong but until late she was shooting like 30%, and she had a lot of trouble close to the rim. She could’ve been looking at a 30 point game, hoping for more teeth next game, she could be unstoppable. 

You are correct on Watson. She had a good 4th quarter. Missed her only 3 and missed 4 FT in the 4th Quarter. But on a tough scoring night, she did have a third of the team scoring.

Watson.png

Edited by bullsbball

3 hours ago, Blue03 said:

It was totally different game against Niagara who pressed full court and Watson with her quickness got into the half court with some open lanes. Total different defensive setup with Stonehill and she tried to drive with defenders around her. Hope the coaching staff can show from the film on how to move the ball in the half court. With the game really never in doubt Ogden was on the bench for long stretches and would of liked to see a few more of the bench players get some playing time. Up to this point it looks like the top eight players are set. Like the play of Davis who seems to have the rebounding IQ. She had many shots around the basket which missed but with only a freshman should develop into a top player. 

18 hours ago, bullsbball said:

Stonehill lost at Niagara in a very close game 69-71 with very respectable shooting percentages. FG: 39.7%, 3P%: 30.8%, FT%: 82.6%.

In college basketball one game from the next can be totally different based on the team you are playing. Also Niagara played without both Parker sisters out with injury and illness so based on that Niagara was probably lucky to win the game.