Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB WBB @ Stony Brook 12/2 6pm

NC_UBfan

This will be a great challenge for this team Stony Brook is ranked 20th in the Woman's Mid Major Poll. This is the only the second road game, they lost a close one to ODU. Looking for the team to have a more fluid half court sets been too stagnate at times. No real complaints on how they have been playing defense just keep the same pressure for four quarters. Side note in that same poll MAC is well  represented by Ball, Toledo, Kent and Bowling Green going to be a competitive conference schedule. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NC_UBfan said:

This will be a great challenge for this team Stony Brook is ranked 20th in the Woman's Mid Major Poll. This is the only the second road game, they lost a close one to ODU. Looking for the team to have a more fluid half court sets been too stagnate at times. No real complaints on how they have been playing defense just keep the same pressure for four quarters. Side note in that same poll MAC is well  represented by Ball, Toledo, Kent and Bowling Green going to be a competitive conference schedule. 

Do agree. The main 8 players are averaging between 8-15 points with an experienced roster made up of seniors and graduates from the transfer portal. They have above average size with their top two players 6’2’ and other close to 6’. They average 75 points and give up 60 per game. Will be interesting to see how Davis and Ogden can compete on the boards against this team. Hope both the men and women show continued improvement. Go Bulls!!!

19 hours ago, NC_UBfan said:

This will be a great challenge for this team Stony Brook is ranked 20th in the Woman's Mid Major Poll

What the hell is up with that poll? Vermont is 3-4, ranked #255, and doesn't have a win over #166 Quinnipiac, yet they are ranked #23 in the midmajor poll? Our girls are ranked #116 which is higher than 5 teams on this list and we aren't even in the others getting votes section.

5 minutes ago, clodney said:

What the hell is up with that poll? Vermont is 3-4, ranked #255, and doesn't have a win over #166 Quinnipiac, yet they are ranked #23 in the midmajor poll? Our girls are ranked #116 which is higher than 5 teams on this list and we aren't even in the others getting votes section.

Yeah I’m disregarding that kind of poll, hard to believe. We’ll just show them who’s boss

1 hour ago, clodney said:

Well I can understand the voters with Vermont they played North Carolina who was #18 to 3pt loss.  Its that our schedule is significantly weaker comparably. Which I get, new roster no real carry over.  Why through your team in the grinder when they are not prepared? Next season I would expect to see P5 and P6 teams on the scheduled. But in the here and now this team is getting better and winning along the way.  Looking forward to seeing them make some noise in conference  play. 

4 hours ago, clodney said:

I’m thinking the Bulls could find themselves on that midmajor poll if they manage to beat Stony Brook and get to 6-1.  Either way, they’ve been playing well and raising expectations along the way. Hope to see them keep it up heading into conference play

Edited by Bluebird96

25 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

According to UBBulls.com, this game is at 1:00 today (not 6:00).  For those with Altice/Optimum cable it should be on SNY (aka the home of the Mets), at least in the downstate/Tri-State area.  

https://ubbulls.com/news/2023/12/1/womens-basketball-bulls-travel-to-stony-brook-on-saturday.aspx

My apologies for the bad information. I chose the $15 one month Flo subscription since next week they play Drexel another CAA team on the road.  

• Like 1

This 3rd quarter is tragically bad. A hole they may not dig out of. I appreciate defense but if you can’t score more than 26, you are not going to win much. These ladies need to learn how to play on the road. Very similar to the ODU game.

Edited by UBinMD

This was tough matchup for the Bulls. The two forwards for stony brook Pitman 6’2 JR and Clark 6’2 SR were too big, strong and athletic for any of our forwards. They dominated the paint offensively and defensively combined 19rbs and 5blks.  
Our guards had to over help and their bigs did a great job of passing out forcing our guards to scramble. From the second quarter on the stony brook guards knocked down shots. I think we settled for 3s instead of taking mid range shots. 
Watson carried the team in the first quarter but had to sit the majority of the second with 2 fouls. At that point no one took over scoring only 7pts in the quarter. I was hoping for either guard Rana or freshman Lewis-Williams to get going they were the only two that could create off the bounce. Coach Burke did not seem to have any sets for when Watson was on the bench or Stony Brook just played great D. 
Here’s the good news our 3 freshmen Davis,Lopez and Lewis-Williams played significant meaningful minutes while contributing and this is only game 7. 

20 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Having been there, Stony Brook was bigger, faster and more athletic than UB.  UB was prepared, but over powered.

Maybe we should start recruiting something other than guards and guards that play forward. I imagine there are teams in the MAC that are going to be bigger, faster and more athletic than Stony Brook.

3 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Maybe we should start recruiting something other than guards and guards that play forward. I imagine there are teams in the MAC that are going to be bigger, faster and more athletic than Stony Brook.

Do agree. We have no true center/power forward on this team. Johnson and Craig are way over weight with no quickness or jumping ability. Davis does show a lot of potential with her size and quickness but is only a freshman. Ogden does show positives both inside and out but is only one player. One other player is Oakland a foreign player with size but very thin who will not be able to bang with the other players in the MAC. Will be interesting to see how this coaching staff can navigate with this  roster. 

2 hours ago, John said:

Do agree. We have no true center/power forward on this team. Johnson and Craig are way over weight with no quickness or jumping ability. Davis does show a lot of potential with her size and quickness but is only a freshman. Ogden does show positives both inside and out but is only one player. One other player is Oakland a foreign player with size but very thin who will not be able to bang with the other players in the MAC. Will be interesting to see how this coaching staff can navigate with this  roster. 

I assume Oakland was an autocorrect for Ojala.  If you think she is not capable of bang with others in the MAC, I suggest you look at the career of Kourntey Brown.  They have very similar builds.  Brown was a two time MAC defensive player of the year and the conference player of the year as well as an honorable mention All-American.

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

I assume Oakland was an autocorrect for Ojala.  If you think she is not capable of bang with others in the MAC, I suggest you look at the career of Kourntey Brown.  They have very similar builds.  Brown was a two time MAC defensive player of the year and the conference player of the year as well as an honorable mention All-American.

Thanks I meant Ojala. I remember Brown and she was way more athletic and strong on the boards but no problem with having different perspectives on players. Time will tell if this coaching staff can work with Ojala and she can improve her strength and ability around the rim.