Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MBB @ Ohio | 01/30/24 7:00pm | ESPN+

49 minutes ago, Chet said:

McVeigh just stands at the elbow or corner on consecutive possessions. Doesn’t move…..he can’t shoot and he gets a pass at the elbow and proceeds to immediately turn it over. 

They have a bunch of players like this

Some times I think it's just a lack of confidence

Sometimes I think it's poor communication with what the coaching staff wants from the players

But it too many times leads to a forced bad shot attempt

If you're open, take it. If it's not open move the ball. It's actually surprisingly simple 

This is like watching Delaware park basketball.  It's seriously unbelievable that this is a recently ranked d1 team. These Ohio guys are having a lot of fun out their at our expense.  We used to do that. Ohio opens up 2nd half with the weak side alley too. Oh how I miss having a coach that would run that play...every game. 

6 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

This is like watching Delaware park basketball.  It's seriously unbelievable that this is a recently ranked d1 team. These Ohio guys are having a lot of fun out their at our expense.  We used to do that. Ohio opens up 2nd half with the weak side alley too. Oh how I miss having a coach that would run that play...every game. 

This is crazy bad, but we haven't been "recently" ranked. We finished 192 last year and 142 the year before that. While this is a new, bad low, we've been on this path for a few years now.

14 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

This is crazy bad, but we haven't been "recently" ranked. We finished 192 last year and 142 the year before that. While this is a new, bad low, we've been on this path for a few years now.

Well, we were more recently ranked than we have been a bottom 5% team in the ncaa. Now we are the latter.

Just now, skrabukes said:

Well, we were more recently ranked than we have been a bottom 5% team in the ncaa. Now we are the latter.

This is the worse Buffalo team ever or at least I’ve seen since early 90s. I think the ‘92 or ‘00 team would beat this team. I don’t think we have anyone that could start for another mac team.

1 minute ago, TheCommish said:

This is the worse Buffalo team ever or at least I’ve seen since early 90s. I think the ‘92 or ‘00 team would beat this team. I don’t think we have anyone that could start for another mac team.

Chatman would start on every MAC team. But you're right about the rest and I'm not in the mood to interrupt anyone's UBMBB rampage, so carry on.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

The 00 team led UNC. This team was down to Robert's Wesleyan until like 4 minutes left in the game. Sy is way better than anyone on the 00 team (as much as I loved Lou Campbell). Adams and Foster is a wash, same with Jo and Alexeev. Vasiliev versus Sabol is a tough comparison, pretty tight probably, because a shooter is a nice thing to have in Sabol. The 00 team had 14 players. We currently suit up 10 (and likely down to 9 pending the ankle injury from tonight). Now let's match up coaches. A high school/ecc coach versus GH3. Well that's a blowout. Game over.

16 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

The 00 team led UNC. This team was down to Robert's Wesleyan until like 4 minutes left in the game. Sy is way better than anyone on the 00 team (as much as I loved Lou Campbell). Adams and Foster is a wash, same with Jo and Alexeev. Vasiliev versus Sabol is a tough comparison, pretty tight probably, because a shooter is a nice thing to have in Sabol. The 00 team had 14 players. We currently suit up 10 (and likely down to 9 pending the ankle injury from tonight). Now let's match up coaches. A high school/ecc coach versus GH3. Well that's a blowout. Game over.

Reggie has proven his coaching prowess at multiple D1 programs. Bringing in top recruits like Turner and Idbihi, and nearly guiding them to the NCAA Tournament. Despite the heartbreak of falling short, his impact on the team is undeniable.

According to Sports Reference, top 3 worse teams

1991-92
1998-99
2023-24

According to Massey, top 3 worse teams

Edited by TheCommish

I don’t see much of anything from the team and coaching staff that gives me much hope for the future. I’d love to see some intensity on D, some IQ on offense….good ball movement, good shot selection, anything and I’m left with the same frustration every time. GHIII looks completely overwhelmed. Help me out! What am failing to recognize?

Just now, Chet said:

I don’t see much of anything from the team and coaching staff that gives me much hope for the future. I’d love to see some intensity on D, some IQ on offense….good ball movement, good shot selection, anything and I’m left with the same frustration every time. GHIII looks completely overwhelmed. Help me out! What am failing to recognize?

Good news, I think we lose our best player. But I am very positive we will beat NIU and another MAC school for 4 wins

43 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Player OWS DWS WS WS/40
Jonnivius Smith 0.8 0.4 1.2 0.104
Sy Chatman 1 0.5 1.5 0.103
Anquan Boldin Jr. 0.4 0.2 0.6 0.038
Ryan Sabol 0.3 0 0.3 0.021
Isaiah Adams -0.2 0.2 0 -0.001
Shawn Fulcher -0.4 0.2 -0.2 -0.018

Player OWS DWS WS WS/40
Davis Lawrence -0.1 -0.1 -0.1 -0.019
Jon Kleidon 0.1 -0.1 0 0
Nikolai Alexeev 0.8 -0.1 0.7 0.046
Mike Mckie 0.3 -0.3 0 0
Damien Foster -0.1 -0.1 -0.2 -0.01
Alexei Vasiliev 1.4 -0.1 1.3 0.069
Louis Campbell 0.9 -0.2 0.6 0.027

49 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

My statement gives the blowout win to the 00 team.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MuchMany said:

I checked TBN this morning.  I don't think a report was even filed about the game last night...that tells you something.  "Disaster" and words like that, though often overused, are apt in this situation.

Functionally, we are overmatched on offense, defense, and coaching versus almost every other D1 team.   I know there people on this site show a lot of graphs and do a lot of analysis on this -- which is fine -- but the fact of the matter remains that you have to have enough talent to hit open 3 pointers (or be talented enough to take open 3 pointers).   Same thing on the defensive end.  Everything isn't "regression to the mean".   We just lack the talent with these players and whatever talent they do possess is not being cultivated by the coaching they have received.  It is the worst of both worlds.

In watching a few games at various points in the season, I do think we have below average MAC talent (overall), but better coaching and talent development would have likely won us a few more games (and made a few others closer).  The problem is I don't see a lot of growth.  We are 20 games into the GHIII experience.   He has gotten the team to come out better from the start, but we are still overmatched.

We are 6 - 13 against the spread, which means we are performing worse than the sharps expect us to.  6 - 13 is awful -- it is the 17th worse in D1.

We have more games left this season, so I want to see something from this coach and this team that provides hope.  If not, any conversation after the season (in my opinion) is fair to have.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, UB92 said:

I checked TBN this morning.  I don't think a report was even filed about the game last night...that tells you something.  "Disaster" and words like that, though often overused, are apt in this situation.

Functionally, we are overmatched on offense, defense, and coaching versus almost every other D1 team.   I know there people on this site show a lot of graphs and do a lot of analysis on this -- which is fine -- but the fact of the matter remains that you have to have enough talent to hit open 3 pointers (or be talented enough to take open 3 pointers).   Same thing on the defensive end.  Everything isn't "regression to the mean".   We just lack the talent with these players and whatever talent they do possess is not being cultivated by the coaching they have received.  It is the worst of both worlds.

In watching a few games at various points in the season, I do think we have below average MAC talent (overall), but better coaching and talent development would have likely won us a few more games (and made a few others closer).  The problem is I don't see a lot of growth.  We are 20 games into the GHIII experience.   He has gotten the team to come out better from the start, but we are still overmatched.

We are 6 - 13 against the spread, which means we are performing worse than the sharps expect us to.  6 - 13 is awful -- it is the 17th worse in D1.

We have more games left this season, so I want to see something from this coach and this team that provides hope.  If not, any conversation after the season (in my opinion) is fair to have.

Nothing in the Buffalo News doesn't mean what you think. The paper now gets printed in Cleveland so deadlines are earlier than most events. Wait till Thursday.

3 hours ago, UB92 said:

It is worth noting that the charts and graphs are very consistent with what you posted.  Personally charts and graphs are my go too, to help me understand why the results are so bad.  I need the rest of you to explain why the 3 point % is so low.  While offensively we are one near the bottom in MAC, the regression relative to last year is small relative to the gap relative to last year on defense.  If I am not mistaken, last night Clayton had three lob dunks against us almost in succession. That seems emblematic of breakdowns on d.