Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MBB vs Ohio | Tues 3/5/24. 7pm | CBSSN

Line started at UB +10.5, now at +11.5.

Last 3 games where UB was double-digit underdogs vs Akron, Kent and Toledo, I believe we covered each time.  Can we make it 4 straight?

Go Bulls! 🤘

Edited by Bluebird96

11 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Hot start for Ohio from three, lotta open shots though

UB running some good offense in my opinion, as usual though the threes for UB aren't falling 

Ohio is 81st in the country in team 3P% (35.8%).  By comparison, UB is 349th (27.0%).  Been consistently bad all year in that department.  

Just now, Bluebird96 said:

Ohio is 81st in the country in team 3P% (35.8%).  By comparison, UB is 349th (27.0%).  Been consistently bad all year in that department.  

Yeah it's not a strength of UB that's for sure, but yet they take a ton of them

Just now, Tee4three said:

Yeah it's not a strength of UB that's for sure, but yet they take a ton of them

And actually that % has come up the past 3 games as they’ve shot 19/52 (36.5%).  They seem to have finally come to realize that chucking up 30+ shots per game wasn’t working

• Like 1

I am in agreement with the one announcer, Buffalo is almost good enough to be an ok team. We do some good things but then it goes to crap, missed dunk, missed wide open 3, bad turnover. Etc. It feels like we are better but can’t string together enough good.

• Like 1

Saw some good things in the last 4:00 of the half with Jo’s blocks and stealing the inbounds pass, threes by McVeigh & Sy to cut it to 5, but then giving up the easy uncontested drive to the hoop just makes you shake your head.  

5 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I am in agreement with the one announcer, Buffalo is almost good enough to be an ok team. We do some good things but then it goes to crap, missed dunk, missed wide open 3, bad turnover. Etc. It feels like we are better but can’t string together enough good.

Having a second PG especially one that had previous d1 experience would have made a major impact

Not a coincidence that once fulcher really settled in that UB started to look more organized and like an actual D1 team ha

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

Line started at UB +10.5, now at +11.5.

Last 3 games where UB was double-digit underdogs vs Akron, Kent and Toledo, I believe we covered each time.  Can we make it 4 straight?

Nope.  Bulls missed covering by 1 lousy free throw. 

One more to go before we’re put out of our collective misery

13 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

Nope.  Bulls missed covering by 1 lousy free throw. 

One more to go before we’re put out of our collective misery

I’m holding out hope the ladies can make a run in Cleveland. Will need to beat BG for a 3rd time, which is always a challenge against any team 

• Like 1

The Bulls couldn't get over the hump tonight.  They closed the gap to 7 at the half, working past a bunch of early three's by Ohio.  Second half they were behind by double digits again (almost 20 at one point)...fought back to down 7.  Ohio took a timeout, the Bulls got a good defensive stop...and on the ensuing possession Chatman bricked both free throws.  Over the next three or four possessions Chatman and Adams kept turning it over.  I kept yelling, "you guys are the seniors!" You're supposed to be the ones they count on during times like that.  Ugh.  It's not the first time either.  I'm going to say this as nicely as I can, but bluntly speaking, I'm not going to miss them.  Adams regressed this year (one of the guys behind me said it's because he's not playing out wide like he should), Chatman puts up points but screws it up at the worst possible moments. What are they going do without them? How about maybe, win.  18 turnovers, many by guys who are experienced enough to know better, way too many.  A sneaky stat lately, and I'd have to look back to see if this is a recent development - the Bulls have been outrebounding teams, or pretty even, and scoring more in the paint.  It's not what I would expect from this lineup.

Zakir - I don't know why we didn't see more of him, he had a nice putback and foul early on.
Wilson - a little ragged today, he and others had a tough time driving to the net.
Sabol - wasn't getting looks, as soon as my brother said "he only has 1 point" he hit a three.
Fulcher - was getting beat off the dribble by their quick point guard. For these guys, a lot of this can't just be taught, they have to play and learn it themselves, so all this game time is valuable.
McVeigh - actually hit a couple shots, and had a couple scrappy rebounds.

Ohio - Clayton was ridiculous.  I was amazed at the times he actually missed.  This game is a little closer if Ohio doesn't manage to shoot 42% from three. 

There were times that not a single student (outside of the band) put their horns up for a free throw. For shame.

In the end, Ohio hit too many from three and UB turned it over too much.  The team defense has gotten better though - they're extending opposing possessions, they're not giving up so many easy buckets. It felt like the kind of game 2 months ago they would've lost by 25.  The fact that the team is still playing hard tells me that either (a) the coaching staff hasn't lost them or (b) they're trying to each make the best possible highlight film for other teams to see.  The optimist in me hopes for the former.  I keep finding this season that I just like going to games.

7 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

The Bulls couldn't get over the hump tonight.  They closed the gap to 7 at the half, working past a bunch of early three's by Ohio.  Second half they were behind by double digits again (almost 20 at one point)...fought back to down 7.  Ohio took a timeout, the Bulls got a good defensive stop...and on the ensuing possession Chatman bricked both free throws.  Over the next three or four possessions Chatman and Adams kept turning it over.  I kept yelling, "you guys are the seniors!" You're supposed to be the ones they count on during times like that.  Ugh.  It's not the first time either.  I'm going to say this as nicely as I can, but bluntly speaking, I'm not going to miss them.  Adams regressed this year (one of the guys behind me said it's because he's not playing out wide like he should), Chatman puts up points but screws it up at the worst possible moments. What are they going do without them? How about maybe, win.  18 turnovers, many by guys who are experienced enough to know better, way too many.  A sneaky stat lately, and I'd have to look back to see if this is a recent development - the Bulls have been outrebounding teams, or pretty even, and scoring more in the paint.  It's not what I would expect from this lineup.

Zakir - I don't know why we didn't see more of him, he had a nice putback and foul early on.
Wilson - a little ragged today, he and others had a tough time driving to the net.
Sabol - wasn't getting looks, as soon as my brother said "he only has 1 point" he hit a three.
Fulcher - was getting beat off the dribble by their quick point guard. For these guys, a lot of this can't just be taught, they have to play and learn it themselves, so all this game time is valuable.
McVeigh - actually hit a couple shots, and had a couple scrappy rebounds.

Ohio - Clayton was ridiculous.  I was amazed at the times he actually missed.  This game is a little closer if Ohio doesn't manage to shoot 42% from three. 

There were times that not a single student (outside of the band) put their horns up for a free throw. For shame.

In the end, Ohio hit too many from three and UB turned it over too much.  The team defense has gotten better though - they're extending opposing possessions, they're not giving up so many easy buckets. It felt like the kind of game 2 months ago they would've lost by 25.  The fact that the team is still playing hard tells me that either (a) the coaching staff hasn't lost them or (b) they're trying to each make the best possible highlight film for other teams to see.  The optimist in me hopes for the former.  I keep finding this season that I just like going to games.

Good overall summary.  What I saw when the Bulls got it down to 7, in large parts due to Chatman's play.  Boals must have made Chatman emphasis of defense.  However, UB continued to force things through Adams/ Chatman leading to turnovers and a return to a double digit deficit.  I think it was during this stretch that the announcer indicated that McVeigh was wide open on the wing screaming for the ball, and no pass came.  Sabol getting only two field goal attempts is another indication that the team didn't play team ball consistently throughout to win.  One more game and on to off-season.  Let's see what happens.

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

Good overall summary.  What I saw when the Bulls got it down to 7, in large parts due to Chatman's play.  Boals must have made Chatman emphasis of defense.  However, UB continued to force things through Adams/ Chatman leading to turnovers and a return to a double digit deficit.  I think it was during this stretch that the announcer indicated that McVeigh was wide open on the wing screaming for the ball, and no pass came.  Sabol getting only two field goal attempts is another indication that the team didn't play team ball consistently throughout to win.  One more game and on to off-season.  Let's see what happens.

I am ready for the offseason now. This has truly been brutal and demoralizing.