Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Marist @ #22 UB (11/24 - 2 ET)

UB85

3 hours ago, UB85 said:

What kind of scouting report do we have on the Red Foxes?

They have been bottom feeders in the MAAC.  They were picked, however, to finish 6th this year by the media.

They are led by senior guard Brian Parker, so expect to hear that name a bunch tomorrow.

In their last game at Stephen F Austin, they were winning 57 to 43 with under 4 to go.  Pretty safe, right?  Not so much.  They were outscored 21 to 3 to close out the game and left with an L.  Brutal.

• Like 1

Looked like they played down to the competition today. CJ was great! This seasons revelation has been Graves. He still brings great D, rebounding and team play but now is a legit scoring threat. His shot now has a north/south rotation rather than an east/west. Accordingly his 3 pt shooting is vastly improved. Harris still struggling. Williams I’m a little disappointed in. Standing around rather than attacking boards and seems disinterested when he’s not making his shots. 

At halftime we thought, "wow the Bulls played badly (for them) and they're still up double digits."  The word we used to describe the offense in the first half was "convoluted", until it morphed into just plain "sloppy."  Driving to the hoop worked really well against Dartmouth, but less so today.  That said, the defense was good, and held them to only 20 points in the first half.  Teams like Marist are going to have a chance in a game like this if they're hitting their three's, and UB didn't give them many good looks out there.

Great job by various guys drawing offensive fouls.  Whether that's getting in a good position, or selling it, or both.

CJ - I wish we could say that the team is deep enough right now that they can win fine without him, but he was the spark today. 
Harris - hit some, missed some others, still doesn't seem as sharp as he can be.
Perkins - didn't have his usual touch around the net
Graves - as we keep saying, another good all-around performance.  Has the look of an intense competitor.
Dontay and Davonta - were a little out of control sometimes going to the net.  I wonder if Marist was looking to guard against this. 
Segu - has some nice fakes that he uses to get separation from a defender or while driving to the net.  Already shows some ability to hit from outside too.
Fagan - got some minutes today by playing some tough defense

Crowd - livelier than on Wednesday, but these weren't games that were going to get the blood boiling and keep people excited.  But a good turnout overall.

One thing that concerns me is, how well will they match up against a team with a big strong inside player?  They're not going to want to have Perkins play them tough inside all game so he didn't get in foul trouble, so they're going to need McRae and Bertram for that.  Tough, physical minutes on defense.  If UB can run the floor and hit from outside like they want to, it may not be an issue.  And they seemed to do fine against Ayton last year. 

23 hours ago, UB85 said:

Announced attendance at 4,500+. That’s pretty darn good without students on campus and playing a middling MAAC team. The community is starting to buy in. Good to see. 

Agree it does seem like the community is starting to buy in. It is amazing what a top 25 ranking can do when the talk heats up from the local and national media. They are beating good teams and not letting up against weaker teams which is a sign of a team buying in and listening to the coaches. The one concern is the struggles of Harris and the uneven play of Williams who was highly touted. I guess we have to give both players some time to adjust their games. What did the training staff do with CJ?? Supposedly he had a Grade 1 knee sprain!! At any rate our good fortune that he was able to play. Hope to have success in Belfast with some more team bonding. Go Bulls!!!!

It also helps when turn on espn and see UB’s scores scroll on the bottom line and see their high lights there as well. I also give Nate credit. I cannot tell you the number of people and non UB fans have told me what a great guy he is through personal contact or through friends who have had that contact. WNY folks are abuzz about Nate. That helps a ton. 

Have to agree UB85 about Nate Oats.As they continue to win I am sure there will be more interviews both locally and nationally which in turn will have more WNY folks seeing what a great down to earth guy he is. Our family first met him at the kids camps UB holds. He gave us the time and talked to us like he was really interested in what our opinions were. I hope he will be here for many years. Go Bulls!!!!