Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB/OHIO Women’s game

John

A tough first MAC game against an Ohio team that we should of blown out in the first half. One reason we did not is the suspect officiating. I have seen these officials before and do not understand how they still have jobs. We are going to have a tough time winning games when we commit 29 turnovers and when Dillard shoots 3-14 from the field and 3-11 from the 3 point line. One positive has been the improvement of Hanna Hall. You can see what the other teams blueprint will be - hound Dillard, double/triple team her, don’t let her breathe and UB will have a hard time winning games. Foul trouble will be a problem this year and I believe the officiating or lack thereof is going to be a concern this year and it does not appear we have the players to overcome that. Still keeping the faith and will continue to support the team’s effort. Go Bulls!!!!

The team doesn’t seem as clutch as last seasons club.  I’m sure they will get better as the season progresses.  Plus Ohio is now in the mix as a MAC power to go along with CMU. If UB women can win the MAC this season they will have really earned it.

4 hours ago, zigo230 said:

The team doesn’t seem as clutch as last seasons club.  I’m sure they will get better as the season progresses.  Plus Ohio is now in the mix as a MAC power to go along with CMU. If UB women can win the MAC this season they will have really earned it.

UB is just a totally different team from the last four years and we have no player in the backcourt to take some of the pressure off of Dillard. All of the this year’s recruits are not close to being ready to play and contribute. Wilkins, Jones, Hamilton are not impact players that will give you consistent games. Unless you can hit on some new players that can come in and play right away the team will struggle. This coaching staff has their work cut out for them. Go Bulls!!!

On 1/5/2019 at 7:32 PM, John said:

A tough first MAC game against an Ohio team that we should of blown out in the first half. One reason we did not is the suspect officiating. I have seen these officials before and do not understand how they still have jobs. We are going to have a tough time winning games when we commit 29 turnovers and when Dillard shoots 3-14 from the field and 3-11 from the 3 point line. One positive has been the improvement of Hanna Hall. You can see what the other teams blueprint will be - hound Dillard, double/triple team her, don’t let her breathe and UB will have a hard time winning games. Foul trouble will be a problem this year and I believe the officiating or lack thereof is going to be a concern this year and it does not appear we have the players to overcome that. Still keeping the faith and will continue to support the team’s effort. Go Bulls!!!!

Agree with all you say, especially about the officiating - it was as bad as I can remember - bordering on shameful. Felicia Young in particular is way out of her element, calling contact fouls where none exist game after game.

1 hour ago, ubfan75 said:

Agree with all you say, especially about the officiating - it was as bad as I can remember - bordering on shameful. Felicia Young in particular is way out of her element, calling contact fouls where none exist game after game.

I thought there used to be or is someone from the conference,NCAA or whoever is in charge of officials at each game to critique the officials or am I wrong? Is there someone or some organization we as fans can write or email to?? I fully intent to talk to UB administration about my concerns. Go Bulls!!!!!

20 hours ago, John said:

UB is just a totally different team from the last four years and we have no player in the backcourt to take some of the pressure off of Dillard. All of the this year’s recruits are not close to being ready to play and contribute. Wilkins, Jones, Hamilton are not impact players that will give you consistent games. Unless you can hit on some new players that can come in and play right away the team will struggle. This coaching staff has their work cut out for them. Go Bulls!!!

I would like to see Adeyeye get a bit more time. Clearly she is raw and will make some mistakes but she could be a big part of the solution on the rebounding front. UB gave up too many 2nd and 3rd chances against Ohio who finally took advantage in the 3rd quarter. Morrison has been decent when on the floor but has gotten into foul trouble a fair amount. I would much rather see Adeyeye spell her in the post than Wilkins...Wilkins just isn't a paint presence and is particularly suspect defensively. When Morrison and Wilkins both fouled out and Coach was forced to go to her, I felt Adeyeye played admirably late in the 4th and in OT given she hadn't stepped on the floor the entire game. On multiple occasions, Hooks drove right around Wilkins as the last defender with ease...at least Adeyeye would likely challenge the shot.

Even with Dillard struggling from the field, UB was still in position to win the game but let many opportunities on the offensive end go begging. Onwuka seemed particularly nervous/rushed when she had the ball in her hands in the 2nd half in this game.

This team still has the talent to win the conference but has to play more to their strengths on a consistent basis.

16 minutes ago, TML1000 said:

I would like to see Adeyeye get a bit more time. Clearly she is raw and will make some mistakes but she could be a big part of the solution on the rebounding front. UB gave up too many 2nd and 3rd chances against Ohio who finally took advantage in the 3rd quarter. Morrison has been decent when on the floor but has gotten into foul trouble a fair amount. I would much rather see Adeyeye spell her in the post than Wilkins...Wilkins just isn't a paint presence and is particularly suspect defensively. When Morrison and Wilkins both fouled out and Coach was forced to go to her, I felt Adeyeye played admirably late in the 4th and in OT given she hadn't stepped on the floor the entire game. On multiple occasions, Hooks drove right around Wilkins as the last defender with ease...at least Adeyeye would likely challenge the shot.

Even with Dillard struggling from the field, UB was still in position to win the game but let many opportunities on the offensive end go begging. Onwuka seemed particularly nervous/rushed when she had the ball in her hands in the 2nd half in this game.

This team still has the talent to win the conference but has to play more to their strengths on a consistent basis.

Good analysis. Do agree Adeyeye should be getting more playing time. Wilkins should not be playing down low at all. She is not a physical presence, no quickness or a good rebounder.  Onwuka plays rushed and out of control especially the last few games. As I said before the coaching staff has their work cut out for them. Morrison has always been foul prone and a very inconsistent foul shooter. When you don’t have the type of players like we had last year the coaching strategy needs to change. You cannot have 20-30 turnovers and inconsistent shooting and be successful. Keeping the faith and Go Bulls!!!!

16 hours ago, John said:

I thought there used to be or is someone from the conference,NCAA or whoever is in charge of officials at each game to critique the officials or am I wrong? Is there someone or some organization we as fans can write or email to?? I fully intent to talk to UB administration about my concerns. Go Bulls!!!!!

I don't have a solid answer, but I will ask my A10 referee friend next time I see him. My guess is that there are not enough evaluators to do every game. For the men, near the end of the season evaluators are sent to watch the referees identified by each conference to be regarded highly enough to be selected for the NCAA tournament. Not sure if the women do the same.  

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

Just curious would have intended to do this if they won?  If the answer is no, then do not go.  It is just sour grapes.

Understand and I will answer. Regardless of win or loss we have been a basketball family all our lives and we love to critique games, players, coaches and yes officials. We are passionate and supportive fans. We have had conversations with previous administrators and staff for years about officials and that will not change win or lose. Unfortunately we were raised that with what you do in life or work you have responsibility and accountability and sadly there is not with officials. Will always continue to enjoy good, competitive basketball and support our teams. Go Bulls!!!!