Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Effort and Energy

Sportsfan

The Ohio post game quote about " incredibility disappointed in the effort" was striking.  Facing the top rated team in the MAC, at home, and after a loss, and  not have effort.

I would say at this point in time, the athletic department is missing "energy", and it is has the potential to trickle into the fan base.  Maybe a result of the pandemic, budgets, or other reasons...but for 1 of 2 official "Flagship" SUNY universities, the potential is there.  

Edited by Sportsfan

I was at the game last night and the energy was terrible on 2 fronts.  The players did not seem interested when starting the game.  I honestly only saw intensity after the 2nd half started.  I think that they are lacking a real leader to fire them up before the games.  Skogman and some of the bench players showed a bit during the first, but thats about it.  Ohio beat us in the MAC finals last year and is leading the conference this year and we came out flat and not ready to play.  The second half improved a bit, but it was way too late by then.

The fans last night were pathetic as well.  I know it doesn't help if the team is playing so poorly, but I don't remember a more mundane atmosphere.  I have been a Bulls fan for 20 years and go to at least a few games each year.  I can't remember a less fun game. Maybe everyone is still depressed over a very specific 13 seconds but it was lame. Where are the students?!  It's almost February, I feel like they have been off for the whole season.  No band, a handful of "cheerleaders"?  The spectators who were there rarely cheered at all.  They wouldn't even stand when the bulls entered or team was announced.  People were louder watching the chick fil a kids play at half time and watching the sponsored games during time outs.  I know the team play did not help the situation but it was bad from the start.  

I've been optimistic about this team all season, but last night really tested me.  I know we can beat anyone in the MAC if we are up to it.  Seeing the atmosphere in person just seemed like we are going backwards.  The fans need to step it up.  We need our students to come and give us a home court advantage.  We need our players to feel pumped to play even if we don't have a leader on the team to do it.  We need to create an atmosphere that recruits will want to come here and experience.  Go Bulls!!!!

15 minutes ago, Battle of Bull Run said:

I was at the game last night and the energy was terrible on 2 fronts.  The players did not seem interested when starting the game.  I honestly only saw intensity after the 2nd half started.  I think that they are lacking a real leader to fire them up before the games.  Skogman and some of the bench players showed a bit during the first, but thats about it.  Ohio beat us in the MAC finals last year and is leading the conference this year and we came out flat and not ready to play.  The second half improved a bit, but it was way too late by then.

The fans last night were pathetic as well.  I know it doesn't help if the team is playing so poorly, but I don't remember a more mundane atmosphere.  I have been a Bulls fan for 20 years and go to at least a few games each year.  I can't remember a less fun game. Maybe everyone is still depressed over a very specific 13 seconds but it was lame. Where are the students?!  It's almost February, I feel like they have been off for the whole season.  No band, a handful of "cheerleaders"?  The spectators who were there rarely cheered at all.  They wouldn't even stand when the bulls entered or team was announced.  People were louder watching the chick fil a kids play at half time and watching the sponsored games during time outs.  I know the team play did not help the situation but it was bad from the start.  

I've been optimistic about this team all season, but last night really tested me.  I know we can beat anyone in the MAC if we are up to it.  Seeing the atmosphere in person just seemed like we are going backwards.  The fans need to step it up.  We need our students to come and give us a home court advantage.  We need our players to feel pumped to play even if we don't have a leader on the team to do it.  We need to create an atmosphere that recruits will want to come here and experience.  Go Bulls!!!!

Yep, masked fans, no band, no students and music that many of the fans don't really enjoy doesn't make for a lively crowd.

1 minute ago, BrooklynBull said:

The Spring Semester begins Monday.  The students have been away since mid-December.

Who cares? No students live nearby? That's a weak excuse and ridiculous that the students are never around for over half of the basketball season. The apathy is evident.

18 hours ago, UBminicre said:

Even if in session, only a few hundred students would show up. We just gotta face it, there is 0 sports culture at Buffalo. When they win, they put fans in seats but don’t expect anyone to show up during down years, including the students. 

This type of situation with attendance is not unique to UB or even college.  Sports is entertainment, and why would anyone want to go see a bad product and pay money....the role of the AD, coaches and players is to put on a quality show...currently, that is not happening in either football or men's basketball...and BTW, Hurley and Oates were also entertaining during the game, post game, interviews, etc.

Edited by Sportsfan

44 minutes ago, Sportsfan said:

This type of situation with attendance is not unique to UB or even college.  Sports is entertainment, and why would anyone want to go see a bad product and pay money....the role of the AD, coaches and players is to put on a quality show...currently, that is not happening in either football or men's basketball...and BTW, Hurley and Oates were also entertaining during the game, post game, interviews, etc.

Agreed for the casual local fan and broad community. But when we talk about students and alumni I do not think it’s the same per se. Universities must build a culture that includes sports if you want to have long lasting connectivity. Everyone should be interested in UB winning (even without attending). This takes decades, maybe even centuries to build. But it’s an investment that must be made if we want any buzz for good or bad. The problem today, is that 95% of UB students and alumni don’t even know what division we are in or when we are playing. Never mind attending. We need to get to a point where a non sports-fan UB students/alumni at least in conversation would be positive towards the possibility of UB sports as opposed to not knowing it even exists. 

42 minutes ago, UBminicre said:

Agreed for the casual local fan and broad community. But when we talk about students and alumni I do not think it’s the same per se. Universities must build a culture that includes sports if you want to have long lasting connectivity. Everyone should be interested in UB winning (even without attending). This takes decades, maybe even centuries to build. But it’s an investment that must be made if we want any buzz for good or bad. The problem today, is that 95% of UB students and alumni don’t even know what division we are in or when we are playing. Never mind attending. We need to get to a point where a non sports-fan UB students/alumni at least in conversation would be positive towards the possibility of UB sports as opposed to not knowing it even exists. 

Very good insight...my humble observation is that the culture within college sport (AD/Coaches/Players) has changed dramatically over the past 10 - 15 years, and will for a large group continue to move to a "me first" approach due to NLI, massive salaries, transfer portal, conference realignments, social media, etc.....how many more..."First I would like to Thank God, my parents, coaches, teammates, etc., but after deep reflection I have decided to enter my name in the Transfer Portal"...will we need to see as fans...I see the fan/student/alumni treating colleges sports more like pro sports....win and I will pay attention, lose and I will not waste my time or money....check out some of the pro teams venues that are losing...empty.....there is also a decision by UB/SUNY leadership if a recent announcement of flagship status will result in additional investments in athletics, or if they are satisfied with being in a low funded/low profile D1 conference (MAC) with non flagship state colleges.

Edited by Sportsfan
  • Like 2

On 1/29/2022 at 9:54 AM, Sportsfan said:

The Ohio post game quote about " incredibility disappointed in the effort" was striking.  Facing the top rated team in the MAC, at home, and after a loss, and  not have effort.

... and the team that beat UB in the MAC championship game in March.

What's going on with Mballa these days? Is he still not 100% after he was out with COVID?

According to KenPom, UB will be favored in every game down the stretch except for Toledo so it’s likely they’ll be hot heading into Cleveland.

The question will be whether that’s due to a weak schedule or a team figuring things out.

The MAC is having a down year as the 19th ranked conference so it really doesn’t matter what you do against the bottom teams. What we do know is that UB is 0-3 against the top three schools in the league. That’s who they’ll need to defeat to make a run in the MAC Tournament.

B8B5305A-0E14-42F2-B58D-4EFC407C82F3.thumb.jpeg.d0e647d3d23c327936e50e57fcb60dda.jpeg

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

On 1/29/2022 at 10:57 AM, skrabukes said:
On 1/29/2022 at 10:54 AM, BrooklynBull said:

The Spring Semester begins Monday.  The students have been away since mid-December.

Who cares? No students live nearby? That's a weak excuse and ridiculous that the students are never around for over half of the basketball season. The apathy is evident.

During winter break Alumni is always empty in the student section.  Students living off campus just do not come to games during the break.  This happens every year and the same complaints are posted here every year.

11 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

During winter break Alumni is always empty in the student section.  Students living off campus just do not come to games during the break.  This happens every year and the same complaints are posted here every year.

It’s not the same complaint. The complaint is that our students never show. At least not a material number. Only when we have big games in winning seasons, but that is it. Blaming it on winter break is a cop out. UB sport culture is terrible- that’s the issue at hand. 

• Like 1