Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

WBB: UB vs Long island U 2pm 12/10 ESPN+

3 hours ago, UBinMD said:

That was the best I have seen them play all year.

I'm thinking it was more like LIU looked bad. The LIU coach looked like a high school kid.  And so very odd that they didn't even go to the locker room at halftime.  They just went into the corner of the arena for several minutes then some just sat on the bench while others took shots for 10 minutes.

UB gave up way too many 3 point shots especially in the 4th quarter (4 of 8). UB shot well from the field (53%) as well as free throws (80%). Coach said before the game she was going to work the paint. UB scored 58 points in the paint of the 91 points. Johnson looked good inside (rebounding and baskets). Winfield look good as usual.

1 hour ago, DaBulls99 said:

LIU pressed right away, clearly BB covered that in practice the last few days. Was easily handled by the team. Easily the best they’ve looked all year. 

I thought UB was struggling against the press. Several turnovers especially when the "subs" got in there. They seemed to figure it out on the last few possessions. They need quicker and/or longer passes to break the press.

Who is the point guard on the team? None of the UB guards seem to handle the ball well.

17 hours ago, UBinMD said:

That was the best I have seen them play all year. Few turnovers, good shots, nice passing and making the ones they should. Hopefully the second half will go as well. 45 in a half is pretty impressive.

Hopefully a breakout game for UB. Hopefully this win, and the win over Niagara, provides confidence for the team, which had little confidence after losing 3 in a row (Mercyhurst, Drexel, Rhode Island). But of course, the quality of the opponent makes a difference too. Beating Niagara and LIU (3 wins between them) doesn't always translate into wins against better teams, despite the confidence boost. Still, UB has a 10 day break, they can work on lots of things, and their next opponent Bucknell is 4-6, so a winnable game for UB.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The women continue to roll with a nice win over Bucknell tonight. They opened up a tie game with about 5:30 to go with a 16-0 run including several steals leading to fast break buckets.  The trio of Winfield, Young and Stone looks very strong with 44 of the Bulls’ 58 pts. Only 7 players got into the game, will need to work more into the rotation to get through the long season but the team’s play is much improved already. 

3 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

The women continue to roll with a nice win over Bucknell tonight. They opened up a tie game with about 5:30 to go with a 16-0 run including several steals leading to fast break buckets.  The trio of Winfield, Young and Stone looks very strong with 44 of the Bulls’ 58 pts. Only 7 players got into the game, will need to work more into the rotation to get through the long season but the team’s play is much improved already. 

Isabella King on Bucknell is from one of the high schools near me here in NH. She was a 3-point machine when she played. I'm surprised Bucknell doesn't use he more.

25 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

Isabella King on Bucknell is from one of the high schools near me here in NH. She was a 3-point machine when she played. I'm surprised Bucknell doesn't use he more.

King was 3/5 from 3 and finished with 9 pts, just over her season average of 8.4 as the Bisons’  3rd leading scorer. They said during the broadcast how Bucknell’s style of play on offense isn’t really built for scoring quick when UB built a 16-pt lead. Seems like they should find a way to work her into their offense more to help solve that problem.

9 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

Only 7 players got into the game, will need to work more into the rotation to get through the long season but the team’s play is much improved already. 

I think they only had 10 girls dressed.   Heard Kiara Johnson is out for the season with what I assume is an injury.

They shot really bad from the field at the start of the first and second half. I think they were under 10% at one point at the start of the game. Most of the misses were layups and rushed shots. Bucknell was shooting around 50% in the first half.

It's the defense that won them the game at the end.

Winfield is a rebounding machine. She had 13 rebounds mostly on defense.

1 hour ago, bullsbball said:

I think they only had 10 girls dressed.   Heard Kiara Johnson is out for the season with what I assume is an injury.

They shot really bad from the field at the start of the first and second half. I think they were under 10% at one point at the start of the game. Most of the misses were layups and rushed shots. Bucknell was shooting around 50% in the first half.

I started watching midway thru the 3rd when they were in one of those scoring droughts.  Defense is definitely a team strength as they’ve now held 6 of 8 opponents under 60 pts.  Winfield has been impressive and I give Young a lot of credit for sticking with UB after everyone else fled for the exits. She gives the Bulls a solid #2 scoring threat and can shoot the 3.  Looking forward to seeing how this team does in MAC play. 

Edited by Bluebird96

1 hour ago, bullsbball said:

Said Johnson hurt her leg in practice, was in a pretty hefty boot and out for the season. I a shame for her, she was a presence down low. Hopefully she can get a medical redshirt since she only played in 7 games. Would suck to finish your career that way.

Winfield just outworks everyone on the boards. She is generously listed as 5'7 but she is so quick and does the dirty work and is quick, which leads to the rebounds. With her Jaz and Stone now emerging, it's nice to be able to get some balance. I have been a little disappointed in Ogden, I thought she would be a better shooter, but she is only a freshman with 7 games, so hopefully she rounds into form.

Bucknell definitely has a style on offense, lots of motion, etc. but sometimes it felt like they were moving just to move and not really setup a shot, then they get under 10 seconds and start to try to score. It's weird, but if you play stingy defense like they do and use the shot clock to limit your opponent's opportunities then it's a winning formula in their league I'm sure. The backbreaker for them was when UB came up with a few steals at the end and got transition layups. When you have a slow methodical offense, that's tough to come back against. It was a really nice win especially after the slow start. They played very solid defense throughout so that is what kept it close and allowed them to take over in the 4th. I will say they are a well conditioned team!

7 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Said Johnson hurt her leg in practice, was in a pretty hefty boot and out for the season. I a shame for her, she was a presence down low. Hopefully she can get a medical redshirt since she only played in 7 games. Would suck to finish your career that way.

Winfield just outworks everyone on the boards. She is generously listed as 5'7 but she is so quick and does the dirty work and is quick, which leads to the rebounds. With her Jaz and Stone now emerging, it's nice to be able to get some balance. I have been a little disappointed in Ogden, I thought she would be a better shooter, but she is only a freshman with 7 games, so hopefully she rounds into form.

Bucknell definitely has a style on offense, lots of motion, etc. but sometimes it felt like they were moving just to move and not really setup a shot, then they get under 10 seconds and start to try to score. It's weird, but if you play stingy defense like they do and use the shot clock to limit your opponent's opportunities then it's a winning formula in their league I'm sure. The backbreaker for them was when UB came up with a few steals at the end and got transition layups. When you have a slow methodical offense, that's tough to come back against. It was a really nice win especially after the slow start. They played very solid defense throughout so that is what kept it close and allowed them to take over in the 4th. I will say they are a well conditioned team!

Do agree with the comments on the game. UB started out the game with way better ball movement but really missed a number of close to the basket shots. Defense definitely won the game for them and they really don’t have any strong, athletic bigs so it looks like they will struggle on the boards. Ogden along with Salmons look like the first year players that will struggle against better D1 players. Mashaire did hold her own against a very stout Bucknell center. With a very short bench and no real substitution pattern yet it will show up when Stone, Winfield and Young have to play an entire game. Still have not heard anything about the two players that are not in uniform yet and with Johnson lost for the year our frontline looks very weak and inexperienced. Winfield does seem to be the real deal and will just have to be patient and enjoy the year. Go. Bulls!!!

14 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

King was 3/5 from 3 and finished with 9 pts, just over her season average of 8.4 as the Bisons’  3rd leading scorer. They said during the broadcast how Bucknell’s style of play on offense isn’t really built for scoring quick when UB built a 16-pt lead. Seems like they should find a way to work her into their offense more to help solve that problem.

She led Bedford HS (NH) to a state title with 33 points. 1,000+ for her career. They ought to use King more.

• 2 weeks later...