Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Kent State @ UB - 2/10/23 6:00 pm - ESPN2

4 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I’m not trying to pick an argument with anyone. I’m venting…but are we watching UB basketball to be entertained? Or to cheer on the team as they win? Bc isn’t winning entertaining? Losing to me isn’t entertaining. For example, the Super Bowl tomorrow, I don’t have a dog in the fight therefore I want to be entertained. But if I were a fan I’d want to win. Whether that’s pretty or ugly I’d want to win. Winning is entertaining regardless of how. 

I guess this is what most feel when people say “Reggie ball” is back. We are settling for being entertained. That’s complacent to me. “Oh we played hard.” We have fallen to the middle of the MAC pack. But hey, it’s entertaining.

We all would like the team to be winning AND entertaining.  You can't win every game. The men might not be winning as much as we would like but look at the women's. Not winning AND not entertaining.  Not at all fun to watch.

Edited by bullsbball
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I’m all for entertainment. I’m just worried that we as fans and the administration are becoming complacent. And just settling for that. Settling for a middle of the pack team that could win the conference tournament if things go our way. 

I would prefer wins.  However, for me,  I equate this team being entertaining to mean that they play hard, they don't easily give up and I see potential for this group of players if they make the commitment to each other to finish out their careers with the Bulls.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I’m not trying to pick an argument with anyone. I’m venting…but are we watching UB basketball to be entertained? Or to cheer on the team as they win? Bc isn’t winning entertaining? Losing to me isn’t entertaining. For example, the Super Bowl tomorrow, I don’t have a dog in the fight therefore I want to be entertained. But if I were a fan I’d want to win. Whether that’s pretty or ugly I’d want to win. Winning is entertaining regardless of how. 

I guess this is what most feel when people say “Reggie ball” is back. We are settling for being entertained. That’s complacent to me. “Oh we played hard.” We have fallen to the middle of the MAC pack. But hey, it’s entertaining.

Sorry in advance for the long post, I haven't sat down and thought about the state of the program in a while.

I'm watching UB basketball to be entertained and to cheer them on in hope of a win. Winning certainly helps the satisfaction I leave Alumni with, but it isn't everything especially when we play an entertaining brand of basketball. I'm not sure how much more enjoyment I'd get from winning more games but scoring in the 40s and 50s. We were spoiled with Oats to have both the results and the style, and those were honestly some of the most fun times of my life.

I guess I don't understand the talk of complacency because in a program of our stature we as fans have little to zero impact on what occurs on the court or even in the AD's office. I don't know about you, but I'm not a big booster with a direct line to Alnutt so my displeasure (with us being .500 in conference (in a rebuilding year with a brand new roster that no one had any positive expectations for)) doesn't have any impact. But I do attend every game and pay for courtside seasons, so I have some skin in the game. Yet things are not nearly bad enough for me to vote with my feet and skip attending games. Perhaps the folks who don't or can't attend games end up more frustrated by a middling year as their experience is limited to turning on ESPN+ with none of the positives of getting on campus, seeing new and old friends, feeling and hearing the band, etc?

I do see complacency in places around the program. I see it in the crowd, a generally older, seemingly tired group of whom 80% make absolutely no noise even on plays where our guys end up on Sportscenter's Top 10, while a small group of us act like Cameron Crazies and try our best to be entertained. I could see JW's frustration at the lack of energy in the place after a big play late in the Kent game. You could point to that has evidence supporting your point, but the distinction between bored and boring people is marginal in my experience. I see it in the game presentation - the cringey DJs playing songs that somehow neither the Gen Z students/players or the Boomer crowd enjoy, the same hokey free throw and half court shots and impossible full court golf putt (that a guy actually almost made last game). The concessions are bad and the food at the Lounge isn't great.

All that being said, I've enjoyed this season, frustrations and all. I'm sure I would be enjoying it a bit more if we had pulled off home wins against Kent and Toledo, not laid an egg against Howard, or held off Drake. But again, this is a rebuilding roster that returned 1.5 rotation spots from last year, we're 12-13 (6-6) against arguably the hardest schedule we've ever played, and we're slated to bring back all but one guy next year. I'm intrigued to see what our talent can do with another year of chemistry and maturity, but if JW can't put it together then next year should be his last. And yet I still think we have an albeit small chance to do damage in next month in Cleveland where our legs and chaotic style could get us into dogfight coinflips against better, more experienced teams.

• Like 8

On 2/11/2023 at 2:06 PM, DooleyBull06 said:

So to me it's a bit of the chicken or the egg - what comes first

Playing an entertaining style and being competitive leads to fans, fans lead to players wanting to come play in front of a crowd, better players lead to better teams, better teams lead to more wins 

You could easily argue that the exact opposite way with wins to team to crowd

Entertaining is key at the mid major level in my opinion. Keeps interest and interest will keep talent coming here

Besides making a tournament appearance (and weather) my guess is that when players commit to school a big thing they want is attendance. Guys want to play in front of crowds, it means more and frankly it's cool 

• 2 weeks later...

This game annoyed me so much. I’ll always complain about the refs because I’m biased and I can, but the amount of times they gave Kent the ball after they clearly hit it out was absurd. Standing in the front of the students I had a real clear view of this. There was one time Kent hit the ball out right in front of us. One ref called it correctly, then another ref who was looking the other way turned around and called it for Kent, was unbelievable.