Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Season Ticket Apperception Dinner

JFH47

Would anyone care to share their thoughts and experiences at this dinner on February 10? Let me be  first. The dinner was an embarrassment and never should have been held. The dinner consisted of 2slices of pizza with no napkins and j bottled water. A long lined formed only to be told they ran out of pizza  within 15 minutes. The dinner was handed out by a student  behind a card table. Frustration, and insulting to the season ticket holders. I didn’t expect a full course dinner but expected something similar to the food served in the Bull Pen prior to the every game. However on the other side there was a student section well staffed with food, trinkets and Chick - fil-a sandwiches along with prepackaged pizza and wings. There was no one from the pillar’s catering company  or UB administrators to explain why this happened. 

There is  already a lack of amenities including non existent internet service at the Alumni Arena. UB should be ashamed of themselves.

I'd agree. It was a joke. 

Technically, I think it was an early renewal season ticket appreciation meal. Not "early" for 2023 but for 2022. Not sure why it was at the end of the season.

Yes, there was something going on in each corner of the arena probably run by different organizations. It's up to the organization running it to order enough food.

Was surprised they invited up to 4 people. I got there at 5pm and was waiting for my friend to arrive but saw the food going fast so I got in line. Not great pizza (sauce was too sweet). And just the 2 slices and water. I went back just before tip-off to get the water (that was still there).

Since you had to RSVP and they were only giving out 2 slices, then it should have been a deterministic number of slices they needed to order.

I usually don't like waiting in line for "free food".  Just not worth it (i.e. quantity and the wait).

I was really thinking about asking the students for the chick fil e meal, looked so much better. While we waited in line our line ran out of plates twice which slowed everything down. The pizza was bad and small. I was also thinking they might as well not have done it because I felt less appreciated, not more. Would have been better to just do nothing. Also, all the tables were taken so we went to our season ticket seats. Maybe they should have just given vouchers to the concession stands. Though they really need to improve the concession offerings.

On 2/12/2023 at 11:21 AM, bullsbball said:

Was surprised they invited up to 4 people.

So the form to fill in had a dropdown that had you select the number of guests. The dropdown had 0, 1, 2, 3, 4.

The email said up to 3 guests. I put down two guests for my significant other and myself, since I didn't know if I should have selected 1 (why is there an option for 4?) or 2 (why is there an option for 0?).

We got a bottle of water each. Arrived at 5:20. If we knew that was going to happen we would have ate before we left.

I don't want to sound ungrateful but it was disappointing. Our decision to keep season tickets isn't going to depend on getting a few slices of shitty pizza, but overall the alumni arena experience has gone downhill over the years. When I was a student, the only game I remember not getting wifi was the final Hurley game against BG. Last year at a doubleheader we were told that we had to sit in our men's seats for the women's game. And my complaint earlier this season about not allowing outside food at a doubleheader. Seems like the signs that have gone up that now have that as a policy. Maybe the athletics department ordered more pizza but security turned the delivery guy away for trying to bring in outside food.

At least UB accepts credit cards at concessions, unlike one of our Big 4 "peers"

Ironically, AA is the opposite of UB Stadium in a lot of ways. AA from a viewing perspective (sight lines, seats, video board) is a great venue but lacks amenities. UB Stadium is better than many MAC peers in amenities (apparel shop in stadium, occasionally a food truck, large bathrooms, good cell service) but lacks in the viewing experience.

9 hours ago, rma said:

Maybe the athletics department ordered more pizza but security turned the delivery guy away for trying to bring in outside food.

A lot of words to end up with this joke/comment.

I've never seen signs preventing people from bringing in their own food. For example, last night I saw somebody passing around a container of probably 20-30 home made cookies. It could just take one "out-of-control" usher to mess up an evening.

In terms of 3 vs 4 guests, it appears they changed the reference point. 4 guests for them, then 3 guests for me.  A little confusing but I figured it out.

I've had complaints about the WIFI for the past several months. Was thinking of sending an email to the ticket office to complain but I figured it just wasn't important enough and was hoping it would get fixed on its own.  I'm sure nobody on the staff realizes it isn't working.

Edited by bullsbball

Join us for a desert bar prior to Senior Night on Friday, March 3rd. Your RSVP will enable you and up to THREE people on your season ticket account to attend the Season Ticket Holder event prior to the Bulls game vs. Miami (OH) inside Alumni Arena.

And now it's a Desert Bar on senior night. Do we each get a grape?

On 2/16/2023 at 7:51 AM, bullsbball said:

I've had complaints about the WIFI for the past several months. Was thinking of sending an email to the ticket office to complain but I figured it just wasn't important enough and was hoping it would get fixed on its own.  I'm sure nobody on the staff realizes it isn't working.

It’s tough to work but you have to log into the wifi twice for it to activate and then you have to constantly use it or you need to log in twice again.

1 hour ago, yussi1870 said:

It’s tough to work but you have to log into the wifi twice for it to activate and then you have to constantly use it or you need to log in twice again.

I'm no longer able to get to the UB Wifi Login screen. I pull up a browser, and try to navigate to buffalo.edu but it doesn't pull up the login page and tells me it's an unsecure (or maybe unauthorized website). Reset the phone and the WIFI connection several times and no success. 

At this point, it's only a few weeks left in the season. But, I like pulling up the detailed stats on my phone when I'm there.

The dinner itself was a disaster, for all the reasons mentioned, but also because I cannot eat dairy products. So the only food available for this appreciation dinner was food I cannot eat. In the past, similar events had chicken wings, cookies and coke or pepsi, plus enough plates and napkins for the event. I would like to write a letter of complaint, and I ask for suggestions as to the proper person to send it to (don't tell me Dr. Tripathi, but someone who might actually have the responsibility for this event and the power to fix it).

As far as the wifi goes, when I visit other arenas around the country, the Wifi connects automatically, no login required. If Canisius and Niagara and Lehigh and Ball State can do this, why can't UB? Nevertheless, I do have a method that seems to work at Alumni Arena. I  restart my phone, make sure UB_Connect is chosen for the Wifi service, open the web browser and navigate to this URL clearpass-portal1.cit.buffalo.edu (make a browser shortcut for that so you won't have to type it in), which then lets me log in with my e-mail ID and password.

This works rather reliably, once I figured it out. I usually don't have to log in again even if I don't use the service for 15 minutes or so. Before that, I tried a number of methods, none of which worked well.

Edited by dj_paige

I was expecting wings with the pizza as well but with the price of wings around 2 dollar a wing, I can understand why it wasn't offered. I remember the days of 10 cent wings (showing my age).

Since it is a "ticket" issue, you could try ub-bullstickets@buffalo.edu.  Bob Feidt (Assistant Ticket Operations Manager) has always been helpful to me. Might not be his area but he can probably refer the issue to somebody.

Thanks, I'll give the WIFI another try today with your "trick".

59 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

I was expecting wings with the pizza as well but with the price of wings around 2 dollar a wing, I can understand why it wasn't offered. I remember the days of 10 cent wings (showing my age).

Wing prices aside, certainly, they could have informed people that it was a pizza dinner, and then I wouldn't have bothered attending.

22 hours ago, bullsbball said:

I'm no longer able to get to the UB Wifi Login screen. I pull up a browser, and try to navigate to buffalo.edu but it doesn't pull up the login page and tells me it's an unsecure (or maybe unauthorized website). Reset the phone and the WIFI connection several times and no success. 

At this point, it's only a few weeks left in the season. But, I like pulling up the detailed stats on my phone when I'm there.

No need to reset your phone because your phone is reacting exactly as it should. UB’s wifi has an expired cert so your phone’s browser see any page it serves up initially as unsecured. When you get to that screen there should be an option for you to continue anyway, or click a link that says advanced, or something like that, and then continue. It’s at that point you may need to login again and click through the unsecured page again before finally getting in.

9 hours ago, yussi1870 said:

No need to reset your phone because your phone is reacting exactly as it should. UB’s wifi has an expired cert so your phone’s browser see any page it serves up initially as unsecured. When you get to that screen there should be an option for you to continue anyway, or click a link that says advanced, or something like that, and then continue. It’s at that point you may need to login again and click through the unsecured page again before finally getting in.

I don't believe I see anything indicating what you say. If I try to connect to the UB WiFi, and I provide my e-mail and password, web pages simply don't load in my Firefox browser on my Android phone. There's no message indicating would I like to connect, or advanced, or anything like that. Even if I go through the process several times, web pages don't connect. If I go through my restart the phone process, and sign in via that web page, everything works.

Nevertheless, the question is ... who should we contact at UB to get this fixed? (Or maybe they don't want to fix it...)

2 hours ago, dj_paige said:

Nevertheless, the question is ... who should we contact at UB to get this fixed? (Or maybe they don't want to fix it...)

and CC the president....

https://www.buffalo.edu/ubit/about/our-people/vpcio/leadership.html#:~:text=J. Brice Bible is the Vice President and,University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. > Full bio

This project shows the Wifi was upgraded in Alumni during a current initiative...

https://www.buffalo.edu/ubit/about/strategic-initiatives/projects/wireless-refresh.html

Edited by bowz

On 2/18/2023 at 6:38 AM, dj_paige said:

open the web browser and navigate to this URL clearpass-portal1.cit.buffalo.edu (make a browser shortcut for that so you won't have to type it in), which then lets me log in with my e-mail ID and password.

This worked for me. If you're not authorized, it's supposed to take you to this page automatically but it doesn't.  Some glitch in their configuration.

Only problem now is I "create" an account and it let's me in but doesn't seem to "remember" that username/password the next time I'm there. So, i just go through the "create an account" part again. Minor problem now.

Thanks for teaching me the "trick".