Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Who is Buffalos Rival in the MAC?

Eagle66

Who is Buffalo’s Rival in the MAC?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There was som discussion over on the MAC board about who UB’s conference rivalry would be. Some there mentioned Akron, Kent, Ohio EMU… thought I’d ask who Bulls fans see as your biggest rivalry. Listed everyone in the old MAC East and EMU. Also left an option for no one.  Just curious as to your thoughts. Thanks.

Edited by Eagle66
Submitted before finishing typing

10 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I hate Ohio the most, but don't think they are really a rival. Buffalo is a MAC step child. They all hate us when we win because we aren't "one of them". That's my opinion anyway.

They do, as do the refs when we play in Ohio in the postseason. 

I voted for Ohio. Used to be the case. Not sure if it still is.

I remember many years ago now, in Cleveland, vs Ohio, they had the Marathon pricing game during a Media time out. The contestant was an Ohio fan.  When it came to the guy picking "higher" or "lower" on the price of the product, they gave him the microphone and then he said "UB Sucks" before giving his answer. He did this all three times.   Good reason to have him just point at the "higher" or "lower" signs rather than giving him a microphone.

I still hate the "O-H-I-O" chant in Cleveland.

On the same subject, anybody else notice they started (haven't done it in several months now) the Price Right higher/lower game at the UB games. In Cleveland, the answer was always LOWER to promote the lower prices at Marathon. In UB's version, the answer was either lower OR higher. Not a way to promote lower prices at a place.

• Like 1

UB doesn't have a traditional basketball rival in the MAC. Bulls fans probably dislike Ohio the most but that's not a mutual feeling. Many also hate Akron and Kent as well.

The problem when looking at MAC rivalries from a Buffalo perspective is that most of the schools already had someone they disliked long before UB joined the conference.

Ohio has Miami. Akron has Kent. Bowling Green has Toledo.

There's times when other schools will be heated with UB when there's something on the line but that's about it for now. What also makes it difficult is that outside of Akron, Kent, Ohio and recently Toledo, there really hasn't been many consistently decent programs in the conference which makes it difficult to have those intense moments that can create rivalries.

For now, I'd say Canisius and St. Bonaventure are Buffalo's true rivalry games even if they don't have the same level of significance as the Bulls conference opponents.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

I think it's pretty clear that UB has no rival, unfortunately.  Would make for more exciting sports matchups if they did.

For me personally, if I had to rank schools in terms of most dislike, it'd be Kent, then Ohio.  Then a drop-off to Akron, Miami, and BG.  I have no real strong feelings for anyone in the West, nor do I have a particular dislike of the other Big 4 schools due to them not having football and not being frequent-enough opponents across the broad sports spectrum.

I could put Kent and Ohio on roughly the same level for basketball, but I'm a football fan first and foremost and for some reason consider Kent a bigger football rival than Ohio, so overall I've got Kent at the top.  In truth though, even though Kent and Ohio are at the top of the list, it's a milquetoast dislike at best from me.  

In reality, I don't think any of these schools particularly care about UB.  I doubt anyone has them near the tops of their respective lists.

Edited by UBlearns

I voted for Ohio bc they give me the worst nightmares. Since our collapse against them in 05. Hated hearing the O-H-I-O chant. I agree with all who have said that we don’t have a natural rival. And that we are looked at as an outsider in the conference. Which makes winning the conference all that much sweeter. Fun poll.

I voted no one is a rival in the MAC. As Buffalo Bulls fan UB should be playing Syracuse Orange and Pittsburgh Panthers home and home yearly just from geography. Our Florida trip should be Miami Hurricanes. BSF your saying we belong in the ACC from the Buffalo fan prospective? Yes. I get as a academic school UB alums see Big Ten Conference but I think from a travel professional perspective which Buffalo fan seems to relate to the ACC is a better fit as a Power 5 conference. I am not sure Buffalo is going to be down with Iowa and Nebraska compared to getting away to Miami like the Buffalo Bills fans do with the Miami Dolphins. We have to take into consideration where our Buffalo population moved to because of jobs like North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee and Florida. I doubt it’s Iowa and Nebraska. Pittsburgh and Syracuse is good for travel for rivalry overtime because of the closeness. Something UB alums should keep in mind if the time ever comes.

Buffalo would do better in the ACC with the Georgia Tech, Duke and North Carolina. UB alums need to get out of the academic peers and what is sellable for the transplant Buffalonians that still follow hometown Buffalo sports teams. BSF don’t you believe in UB alums supporting UB athletics in the Power 5 conference someday? No I think will it be out of town Bills Mafia in a bigger way than the nerdy UB alums that can have a 5 billion alumni and 2,000 show up. The UB alums of this board are the exception not the rule. Too many nerds not enough jocks interested in sports games at UB. That is the biggest elephant in the room that is too taboo to talk about. BSF discuss the taboo topics of Buffalo sports which UB is apart of. Not Buffalo or Western New York are all the UB athletics problems the UB nerd doesn’t care about UB sports they don’t even care about UB once they got there great price education we never see a lot of these folks again. Oh I know they have careers and families. Notice how UB nerd gets that tired excuse and Buffalo and Western New York get most of the blame for a school a lot Western New York never went too. UB is number one in this catagory run away don’t give back or get back to UB campus much if at all. If more UB alums gave back and came back to campus more like this non UB alum UB would have been in the Power 5 today. Sadly after 30 years that never happened which is unfortunate in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

On 2/16/2023 at 11:13 AM, UBlearns said:

I think it's pretty clear that UB has no rival, unfortunately.  Would make for more exciting sports matchups if they did.

For me personally, if I had to rank schools in terms of most dislike, it'd be Kent, then Ohio.  Then a drop-off to Akron, Miami, and BG.  I have no real strong feelings for anyone in the West, nor do I have a particular dislike of the other Big 4 schools due to them not having football and not being frequent-enough opponents across the broad sports spectrum.

I could put Kent and Ohio on roughly the same level for basketball, but I'm a football fan first and foremost and for some reason consider Kent a bigger football rival than Ohio, so overall I've got Kent at the top.  In truth though, even though Kent and Ohio are at the top of the list, it's a milquetoast dislike at best from me.  

In reality, I don't think any of these schools particularly care about UB.  I doubt anyone has them near the tops of their respective lists.

UB has no rivals in the MAC after 30 years is because there aren’t enough UB alums interested in sports at UB. This UB board is the exception not the rule of UB. UB just isn’t interested in sports. The MAC is a good football conference if it wasn’t I wouldn’t have been a Buffalo Bulls fan. The MAC football is good the MAC basketball not so much on the level of the MAAC which hurts UB Bulls basketball. St Bonaventure Bonnies basketball is the best college basketball. Put UB Bulls football and St Bonaventure Bonnies basketball level at UB. UB would be better off in my opinion. Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up
  • Like 1