Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2023 Transfer Portal (outbound)

ub2019

I was searching around trying to find out what's going on with Curtis Jones. Sounds like he is visiting Iowa State and their fan forum is pretty confident he will commit (I have no idea what that's based on, I don't see anything on Twitter)
https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/iowa-state-transfer-recruiting-class-2023.277819/page-47

Clearly a step up and only a few hours from his hometown of Minneapolis so it could make sense for him. Hopefully Halcovage gives him a good pitch before any decisions are made

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 1

Not surprised that Jones is fielding interest from big programs - I had a feeling it would happen regardless of Coach Whitesell's status, given how impressive he played this year.  Would love to have him back at UB, but wish him all the success in the world if he decides to take a step up.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, UBfan44 said:

This would be a big loss. He has Massinburg level potential. If he leaves I hope he stays a starter at a P5 program and doesn’t end up a rotational guy. 

I know we will never know, but I'm curious what the new staff's push has been/will be with Curtis. I would think he has the skill and talent they would want to retain, but you just never know.

IF Isaac Jack goes to Vanderbilt (or other P5) and Curtis Jones goes to Iowa St and, my thoughts on our previous regime's HS evaluation and recruiting abilities will be changed. They may not have been able to use them to their maximum ability, but the talent was obviously there with whomever found them.

13 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

IF Isaac Jack goes to Vanderbilt (or other P5) and Curtis Jones goes to Iowa St and, my thoughts on our previous regime's HS evaluation and recruiting abilities will be changed. They may not have been able to use them to their maximum ability, but the talent was obviously there with whomever found them.

Yet we didn’t win big games. And very often in those big games Jones disappeared. So while those guys may have P5 talent, the coaching (JW) failed to put them in the right in game situations. I wish them well and lots of success. Hope they land and flourish. My gripe is with Whitesell and his recruiting. He had somewhat an eye for high school talent but never had a plan of either going mostly in on high school talent or the portal. Instead he leaned heavy on the portal and brought in pieces that didn’t mix. 

31 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Some of the guys they just missed landing have also been big hits. We were finalists for Antonio Reeves before he went to Illinois State then on to Kentucky where he averaged 14.4 PPG this year, and finalists for KD Johnson before he went to Georgia then on to Auburn where he's been a key contributor on two tourney teams. I'm not going to rehash my thoughts on the last staff but I think they did mostly fine identifying talent and recruiting it but it was after they got on campus that there were issues.

23 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Yet we didn’t win big games. And very often in those big games Jones disappeared. So while those guys may have P5 talent, the coaching (JW) failed to put them in the right in game situations.

I think it's fine to say Curtis Jones is a P5 talent, but not a P5 level playmaker. He has good size, shoots the hell out of the ball, takes care of the ball, passes well, and defends. If he goes to ISU and plays next to Tamin Lipsey where he's not being relied on to create for others I think he is going to excel. That said I'd like to see him do all that in Buffalo lol

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

IMO they always recruited well and had plenty of talent. But the travels, charges, throwing the ball away, stepping on the out of bounds line, iso ball, etc were fixable issues that never got better. Maybe it happens everywhere and I just don’t pay attention but it felt like I was watching a team that cared less about valuing possession than their competitors 

Edited by UBfan44
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I think it's fine to say Curtis Jones is a P5 talent, but not a P5 level playmaker. He has good size, shoots the hell out of the ball, takes care of the ball, passes well, and defends. If he goes to ISU and plays next to Tamin Lipsey where he's not being relied on to create for others I think he is going to excel. That said I'd like to see him do all that in Buffalo lol

I don’t disagree. I don’t think he becomes a star. But becomes a useful role player. Maybe the pressure of being a star at UB was too much for him too soon. I’d like to see him here too but at the same time I’d like to see Halcovage begin to build his team. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ubbullsfan09 said:

Not surprising at all, best of luck to Curtis. 

Pretty much expected At least it’s a step up, not lateral or down. Will be interesting to see how he fairs. He doesn’t have to be the main focus there 

Edited by UBinMD