Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Athletic Director Seat - Hot, Warm, Cold

Sportsfan

8 hours ago, Chet said:

I contacted my representatives in the NYS Senate and Assembly today regarding the Athletic Department at UB. I specifically referenced the horrendous record of ADMA and his incompetence. Athletics continues to receive more institutional support compared to all MAC teams and the results in ADMA’s tenure have been downward trending in all major sports including football along and men’s and women’s basketball. 

I hope they do nothing.  The government should stay out of operations of the public universities unless there is a need to control a major scandal.   Chris Christie got involved in the athletic department at Rutgers and messed it up by putting political flunkies in high positions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2024 at 5:35 AM, BrooklynBull said:

I hope they do nothing.  The government should stay out of operations of the public universities unless there is a need to control a major scandal.   Chris Christie got involved in the athletic department at Rutgers and messed it up by putting political flunkies in high positions.

Someone needs to do something.  Performance matters in any profession.  Everyone agrees that it appears ADMA is a very good guy and good family man, but just witnessing what has happened under his watch is something no alumni should accept.   He skills are definitely more as a second in command, not the leader and key decision maker.

Edited by Sportsfan

On 2/1/2024 at 5:51 PM, Chet said:

I contacted my representatives in the NYS Senate and Assembly today regarding the Athletic Department at UB. I specifically referenced the horrendous record of ADMA and his incompetence. Athletics continues to receive more institutional support compared to all MAC teams and the results in ADMA’s tenure have been downward trending in all major sports including football along and men’s and women’s basketball. 

I posted in another thread but I believe his contract runs into '26 and allegedly he is vested then. Are you willing to buy him out? Murchie's seem happy, right? They donated big money.

Alnutt's Hires

Mo (bad IMO), George Halcovage III (terrible IMO), Scott Smith (great! IMO)

Alnutt's Retentions/Didn't hire
Vicki Mitchell (status quo?), Mike Ruechel (awful IMO), Shawn Burke (Good? IMO) Andy Bashor (bad IMO) Lee Nickell (okay), Kristen (Ortman) Maines (good?)  John Stutzman (good)

Edited by TheCommish

8 hours ago, TheCommish said:

I posted in another thread but I believe his contract runs into '26 and allegedly he is vested then. Are you willing to buy him out? Murchie's seem happy, right? They donated big money.

Alnutt's Hires

Mo (bad IMO), George Halcovage III (terrible IMO), Scott Smith (great! IMO)

Alnutt's Retentions/Didn't hire
Vicki Mitchell (status quo?), Mike Ruechel (awful IMO), Shawn Burke (Good? IMO) Andy Bashor (bad IMO) Lee Nickell (okay), Kristen (Ortman) Maines (good?)  John Stutzman (good)

You forgot Becky Burke, who seems to be a solid hire thus far and has WBB currently sitting 4th in the MAC.  And also Pete Lembo who obviously remains to be seen if it was a good hire or not.  But so far there’s a lot to like and really looking forward to how his team does on the field.

A mixed bag for sure and the major regression of MBB is troubling to say the least.  In the end it may just do him in.

Edited by Bluebird96

20 hours ago, TheCommish said:

Andy Bashor (bad IMO)

No way. Akron has won the conference in 9 of the last 10 years. The one time they did not, UB won. In the last 4 years UB either won or was in second place. If you go back further, UB has been continuously moving up to be a contender. A UB swimmer (Burns) holds multiple all time MAC records. Recently, UB swimming and diving has been better than ever

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rma said:

No way. Akron has won the conference in 9 of the last 10 years. The one time they did not, UB won. In the last 4 years UB either won or was in second place. If you go back further, UB has been continuously moving up to be a contender. A UB swimmer (Burns) holds multiple all time MAC records. Recently, UB swimming and diving has been better than ever

great. he's 2-3 this season.

17 hours ago, RapidsFan said:

8eoqod.jpg

Why would we fire Alnutt? This makes zero sense. Obviously, Alnutt doesn't let the donors do whatever they want, otherwise we would have hockey or at least do the study to support the cost of adding hockey at Buffalo. Neither happened. 

10 hours ago, TheCommish said:

Why would we fire Alnutt? This makes zero sense. Obviously, Alnutt doesn't let the donors do whatever they want, otherwise we would have hockey or at least do the study to support the cost of adding hockey at Buffalo. Neither happened. 

Hockey was looked into years ago.  It was too expensive and there would need to be either the addition of women's sport(s) or dropping of existing men's sport(s).  The cost has not gone down since the last time it was looked at.

2 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Hockey was looked into years ago.  It was too expensive and there would need to be either the addition of women's sport(s) or dropping of existing men's sport(s).  The cost has not gone down since the last time it was looked at.

If we wanted to add hockey, I think Murchies would donate for it. I can't imagine Warde, White, Greene, or Alnutt would look into it.

8 hours ago, TheCommish said:

If we wanted to add hockey, I think Murchies would donate for it. I can't imagine Warde, White, Greene, or Alnutt would look into it.

The Pegula donation to start hockey at Penn State was $88,000,000.00.  That was 14 years ago.  I do not know how much the Murchie family is worth, but that may be beyond their ability.

13 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

The Pegula donation to start hockey at Penn State was $88,000,000.00.  That was 14 years ago.  I do not know how much the Murchie family is worth, but that may be beyond their ability.

I’d guess a lot based on this article

https://buffalonews.com/news/parents-are-good-sports-despite-ruling-on-leagues-murchies-plan-return-to-amherst/article_889cc3a9-c4c3-586f-925e-5fd52486983e.html

There's a huge difference between buying a second home to have your kids compete in Amherst sports and dropping upper 8 figures on buying your alma mater a hockey team. Both are rich, one is probably a couple orders of magnitude richer than the other.

9 minutes ago, RapidsFan said:

Yet you used taxpayer money for free flights to...

How was the veal, Ron? Did Mark share his dessert with you?

DGB-Mayors-Luncheon-5.jpg

Good for him. A lot of people enjoy perks from work.

although, that picture shows a lot of “ncaa wastes a lot money” in my opinion. I do welcome private equity to college athletics.

5 hours ago, RapidsFan said:

Yet you used taxpayer money for free flights to...

How was the veal, Ron? Did Mark share his dessert with you?

DGB-Mayors-Luncheon-5.jpg

I do not remember.  Total cost to UB for me at the Dollar General Bowl, $0.00.  I paid for my airfare, rental car and hotel.  Same in Toronto, Boise, the Bahamas and Montgomery.

5 hours ago, TheCommish said:

Good for him. A lot of people enjoy perks from work.

although, that picture shows a lot of “ncaa wastes a lot money” in my opinion. I do welcome private equity to college athletics.

The NCAA does not pay for the luncheon.  It is paid for by the sponsors of the game. Private equity in college athletics will be the end of college athletics except for possibly a dozen schools.  The rest all lose money, which private equity does not like.

Edited by BrooklynBull

1 hour ago, RapidsFan said:

Regardless of who wined and dined you, or your allowance for wining and dining others (where does that money come from?) the point is that you cannot possibly be objective on the subject of Mark Alnutt's employment since you are indebted to the man.

I am reminded of Mike Harrington, who used to fairly report on the Buffalo Bisons for the Buffalo News (including their financial misdeeds). But then as soon as he was inducted into the team's Buffalo Baseball Hall of Fame, he went straight up Bob Rich's ass.

Did not pass go. Did not collect $200. Straight on up there.

The money for me wining and dining others comes from my hard work.

I have not made one comment on here about the continuation of Mark Alnutt as AD.  Nor have I commented on whether any coach should keep their job.  It is not that I am indebted to any of them for anything.  It is out of respect for them as people who have families and the relationships that I have because I have met and know them.

I have never asked for the Athletic Department to hire or fire any coach or administrator.  That is not my role.  I am a donor and have been one for over 40 years and hopefully will be for another 40 years.  What I get is what any donor can get.  Jealous?  Then go https://ubbulls.com/sports/blue-white-fund and donate.

Now please go back to your Rapids thread, I think they just got a turnover and are on a fast break for a layup that you have yet to post about.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

The NCAA does not pay for the luncheon.  It is paid for by the sponsors of the game. Private equity in college athletics will be the end of college athletics except for possibly a dozen schools.  The rest all lose money, which private equity does not like.

I understand that but the ncaa/colleges do way too many things that don’t make money. Ie luncheons, committees, guaranteed games. Kinda crazy Buffalo athletics relies on Missouri to pay our bills with 40 pt loss. Private equity will fix a lot of things. I think army, Florida, ucf all have the correct model. License the schools name to a 501 non profit. I think that is where more college athletics will follow.

In my 20+ years on this site, BrooklynBull has never shown any negative or positive bias towards active UB personel so from my perspective your claims are completely unwarranted. The only thing he is guilty of is telling bad jokes about how the secret to winning is scoring more points than the other team.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, clodney said:

In my 20+ years on this site, BrooklynBull has never shown any negative or positive bias towards active UB personel so from my perspective your claims are completely unwarranted. The only thing he is guilty of is telling bad jokes about how the secret to winning is scoring more points than the other team.

Well, he shouldn't and probably can't. I think RapidsFan has a axel to grind IMO.

5 hours ago, clodney said:

For those looking for an edge on betting the Super Bowl Sunday, the team that scores the most points at the end of the game is 57-0.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...