Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Athletic Director Seat - Hot, Warm, Cold

Sportsfan

Mark Alnutt was hired as University at Buffalo's Athletic Director on March 18, 2018.

Football, Men's Basketball and Women's Basketball are the key elements of D1 athletics.  They reminder are considered Olympic Sports.

At the time, the coaches were Lance (Danny White), Nate (Danny White) and Felica (Danny White).

In March, 2018 the Women's basketball team advanced to the Sweet 16, after winning the MAC Championship

In March, 2018 the Men's basketball team wins the MAC Champion and advances to second round of NCAA

In March, 2019 the Men's basketball finish the season 32-4 and a Top 25 Ranking at year end and win 1st round game in NCAA

In November 2018 and 2020 the Football team reaches the MAC Championship Game and in 2020 finishes in Top 25.

Edited by Sportsfan

• Sportsfan changed the title to Athletic Director Seat - Hot, Warm, Cold
  • 2 weeks later...

He needs to go.

5 years ago we were in the Top 25 in both football and basketball, now we are one of the worst teams in the country in both.

There is no true vision from him. Danny White made Buffalo seem like it was a potential sleeping giant for athletics. He made bold strategic statements (NYBI) and hires (like firing Reggie for Hurley). 

Somehow we still have one of the worst football gameday experiences in the MAC even though our endowment is significantly larger than most of the other schools in the conference. We need to get rid of the track (and the added extra space between it and the stands. It is truly one of the worst lines of sight I have ever had at a football game at any level from Pop Warner to the NFL.

Seriously, what has he accomplished since being here? Sure soccer and volleyball have been good, but let's be real, football and basketball are by far what is most important for a college athletics program.

1 hour ago, ChubbyHubby said:

SGBull, you mention the "football game day experience".  Talk about regressing.  WTF was that Coca Cola thing that we got this year.  It was a joke.  I imagine the Stampede Square concerts of the past bunch of years were too expensive, but people partied and enjoyed themselves.  

I liked the idea of the big screen with ESPN on, but the location of it made no sense.

1 hour ago, rma said:

I liked the idea of the big screen with ESPN on, but the location of it made no sense.

I didn't mind that, but there was nothing else going on around it.  We've been at other venues that also had ESPN on the big screen, but it was surrounded with food, drink, merch booths, activities for adults and kids...  

• Like 1

On 12/10/2023 at 10:09 AM, Sportsfan said:

2023 Massey Football Ranking - 123 out of 133

2023 - 2024 Basketball Ranking - 353 out of 362

Not sure how someone keeps their job with this type of performance.

Because this is what matters!
https://ubbulls.com/news/2023/12/11/athlete-academic-affairs-ub-athletics-posts-highest-graduation-rate-in-program-history.aspx

5 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Truly respect your view, but clearly not aligned to the reality of the majority of D1 college athletics in 2023 and beyond for football and basketball.

Many (or most) schools will boost of their athletes acadamic achievements, yet they also win games.

image.png.3e639a12233b0873d5937bded294d8d9.png

On 12/14/2023 at 7:26 AM, BrooklynBull said:

Football - = 3-9 (note: lost to FCS school)

Mens Basketball = 1-9

Womens Basketball = 5-4

Total Record = 9 - 22 (note: 2 wins against D2 schools)

Winning Percentage = 29%

This also matters when you are in your 5th year as AD.

Edited by Sportsfan

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Not if you believe in education first.  I will take 0-12 and 0-30 turning out people with real degrees.

You won't have much company in your boat implying that it has to be one or the other for a D1 program with the resources UB has to offer.

Demanding excellence in both doesn't seem an unreasonbable requirement for a D1 AD, and many many schools are doing it every year.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Sportsfan said:

You won't have much company in your boat implying that it has to be one or the other for a D1 program with the resources UB has to offer.

Demanding excellence in both doesn't seem an unreasonbable requirement for a D1 AD, and many many schools are doing it every year.

I never said it had to be one or the other.  I like the winning.  I enjoy the trips to the bowl games.   I have been to Columbus, Providence, Tulsa, Albany and Storrs for the NCAA tournament.  However, education is more important to me than winning.

On 12/14/2023 at 7:26 AM, BrooklynBull said:

According to the article, this data is for students who entered in 2016. It's 2023. I would hope that they would have graduated by now. That's 7.5 years. I know we're in bizarro land now where student-athletes play for 7-8 years now (and at 3-4 different schools), but when you go to college, you are supposed to be on a track to graduate in 4 or 5 years depending on your program. Considering all of the wonderful supports that athletes get from their advisors/tutors/etc. while involved in sports at UB, I would greatly hope they'd be at 100%.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The truth about UB athletics is that we serve as a stepping stone, with athletics not taking precedence. We don't allocate funds to someone who isn't actively coaching or directing, we're not Texas A&M. Alnutt will remain until he secures a D1 Deputy job or another AD position. Classes continue in Alumni Arena during games, highlighting that athletics isn't the top priority. If athletics were a priority, dance programs would be relocated to a more suitable space outside the athletics arena.

• 3 weeks later...

I contacted my representatives in the NYS Senate and Assembly today regarding the Athletic Department at UB. I specifically referenced the horrendous record of ADMA and his incompetence. Athletics continues to receive more institutional support compared to all MAC teams and the results in ADMA’s tenure have been downward trending in all major sports including football along and men’s and women’s basketball.