Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB WBB vs St. Bonaventure 11/22 1pm

NC_UBfan

The woman's team looks to keep progressing against a St. Bonaventure that lost to Niagara by 24 two weeks ago.  My hope is Coach Burke and staff has worked on half court execution since the abysmal first half offensive performance against Stonehill.  At times it just seems like a lack of motion on the weak side or in general making it easy to be defended.  I would like to see Watson/Lewis-Williams  play off each other more as they can create off the bounce allowing Ogden/Rana a chance to shoot less contested 3s.  The freshmen have to improve  FT shooting I'm sure as they get more reps it will improve but in a close game can be a labiality. 

Main things I'm looking from UB is continued sound team defensive pressure and rebounding . The Bonnies shoot at a low 35% from the field and worse 27% from 3 but avg 20FTs per game so play the drive and rebound. This should be the type game where we can see more of the bench players. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, NC_UBfan said:

The woman's team looks to keep progressing against a St. Bonaventure that lost to Niagara by 24 two weeks ago.  My hope is Coach Burke and staff has worked on half court execution since the abysmal first half offensive performance against Stonehill.  At times it just seems like a lack of motion on the weak side or in general making it easy to be defended.  I would like to see Watson/Lewis-Williams  play off each other more as they can create off the bounce allowing Ogden/Rana a chance to shoot less contested 3s.  The freshmen have to improve  FT shooting I'm sure as they get more reps it will improve but in a close game can be a labiality. 

Main things I'm looking from UB is continued sound team defensive pressure and rebounding . The Bonnies shoot at a low 35% from the field and worse 27% from 3 but avg 20FTs per game so play the drive and rebound. This should be the type game where we can see more of the bench players. 

Do agree. Haskell is their main scorer so defensive pressure on her will be important. Bona seems to have a decent rebounding team with most of their frontline 5’10-6’ so rebounding could be another key. Looking forward to seeing Crowley again.  Go Bulls!!!

6 hours ago, John said:

Maybe Bona wants to get back to Olean before Thanksgiving!! We have taken the trip to some Bona games and it is not the easiest trip at night if there is rain,snow or fog.

I assumed the same thing, maybe some young fans will be brought out by their parents since they are off school, see a WBB matinee and get home for the holiday. 

2 minutes ago, rma said:

Burke gets her first Big 4 sweep. As Rana Elhusseini dribbled out the clock at the end, with less than a second to go there was a Bona player who tried to steal the ball. Looks like we should run up the score next time.

It definitely got chippy at the end. These ladies are tough and gritty. When they get in a groove, they are very fun and we have multiple scoring threats. I really enjoy watching them.

• Like 1

Taking a look at Big 4 Women's basketball sweeps

2023-24: Buffalo

2022-23: No Sweep

2021-22: N/A (Buffalo won vs Niagara/Canisius, DNP Bona. Bona beat Canisius in their only Big 4 game)

2020-21: N/A (Buffalo won vs Bona/Canisius, DNP Niagara. Niagara did not play any Big 4 games)

2019-20: Buffalo

2018-19: Buffalo

2017-18: No Sweep

2016-17: Buffalo

2015-16: Bona

2014-15: Buffalo

2013-14: Bona

2012-13: Bona

2011-12: Bona

2010-11: Bona

2009-10: Bona

2008-09: Bona

jmD1fNh.gif

Edited by rma
removed comment, burke said it better
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, rma said:

Taking a look at Big 4 Women's basketball sweeps

2023-24: Buffalo

2022-23: No Sweep

2021-22: N/A (Buffalo won vs Niagara/Canisius, DNP Bona. Bona beat Canisius in their only Big 4 game)

2020-21: N/A (Buffalo won vs Bona/Canisius, DNP Niagara. Niagara did not play any Big 4 games)

2019-20: Buffalo

2018-19: Buffalo

2017-18: No Sweep

2016-17: Buffalo

2015-16: Bona

2014-15: Buffalo

2013-14: Bona

2012-13: Bona

2011-12: Bona

2010-11: Bona

2009-10: Bona

2008-09: Bona

Flipped the script. The best in WNY play for Buffalo.

And we have 2 of the best local players coming in next season too 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

That was a great game, got blitzed early by some hot Bonnies shooting but weathered the storm. Really terrific second half and they closed it out. This team is tough and fiery. I'm impressed so far. Let's see if we can keep this rolling!!

Do agree. Bona came out and shot lights out and impressed with the team not getting flustered. The 2nd half UB showed more defensive pressure and intensity and both Rana and Ogden got into the offensive flow. Watson and the freshman Lewis-Williams continue to impress. A slight concern in after the top five we do not show much depth and players that can help if our top five have off nights or get in foul trouble. Overall impressed with the team and coaches who communicate with players during the game and especially after halftime. Hope more fans come out to see this team with their positive energy. Go Bulls!!!!

20 minutes ago, John said:

Do agree. Bona came out and shot lights out and impressed with the team not getting flustered. The 2nd half UB showed more defensive pressure and intensity and both Rana and Ogden got into the offensive flow. Watson and the freshman Lewis-Williams continue to impress. A slight concern in after the top five we do not show much depth and players that can help if our top five have off nights or get in foul trouble. Overall impressed with the team and coaches who communicate with players during the game and especially after halftime. Hope more fans come out to see this team with their positive energy. Go Bulls!!!!

I would like to see some players 6-10 action in the Kutztown game. Hopefully we can get a comfortable lead and let the bench get some time. Any word on Katie Burton? Didn’t see her on the bench. Is she injured?

I think Ella Take and Chryssi Gouzelou will redshirt this year.

I expected Burton and Gines, the St John’s transfers; to be contributors. I think Lopez will be a good piece. Craig seems a bit raw but my develop over time. I think we have 8 currently with 5 that can score double digits. 

Chryssi Gouzelou is sitting out the year because of shin splints, and so she is one of the team managers this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ella Take does red-shirt this year. Did you read the bio on the ubbulls.com for Ella Take? If the bio isn't omitting something, how does she even make a D1 roster?

I don't know why Katie Burton wasn't on the bench against St. Bonaventure. In the previous game against Stonehill, Burton subbed in and then was going to replace the wrong player, the coaches yelled no no no, and so then the right sub was made. After she played a few minutes and came out, she received a lecture from assistant coach Brooks. Now, I didn't think the coaches were out of line there, and it didn't seem like Brooks was yelling or screaming at Burton, but you never know, a little thing like this sometimes is enough to push a player over the edge.