Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB WBB vs Akron 2pm

Broken record need 3rd/4th scoring options to off set what Watson and Lewis-Williams will make. Hopefully playing at home helps the shooting confidence. Need the same level of intensity on the defensive end and rebounding they had against Ball St. Bass and Riley crash the boards hard and draws lots of fouls so our front court needs to box out and guards crash weak side.  It’s been proven we can compete with the top teams so every game is winnable. 

• Thanks 1

Good first half effort on the boards gave up a few possessions but breaking even with the size of Zips is a win. It was bound to happen Watson shots are not dropping but Ogden 3/4 from 3 is finally getting shots to drop. Great defense rotation let’s close them out!!

3 minutes ago, NC_UBfan said:

😮‍💨 gritty win!!! Not sure what else can be said about Watson she is a difference maker.  Great team defense plenty of things to clean up but for this young team great win!

The best part is they had a game plan against Bass and for the most part it worked. She pushes a lot and seems like some O fouls could have been called. Ogden had a good game against her, some timely rebounds and great assists. I forget she’s only a sophomore and probably expect too much, but as she goes, the team goes. Watson is fantastic and can be counted on to drop 20, but Rana, Davis, KLW and Ogden need to play well to have a chance to win. Davis quietly is a beast on the boards, it goes unnoticed a lot. I’m hoping Lopez develops into a bench presence, but I feel us slipping into last season and having no bench. That is not a sustainable solution. You have to get 6-8 in the game early and get a feel out there. I want Johnson to do well, but she is limited Ojala needs a lot of work, but to do that, she needs 8-10 minutes a game to develop. Wolo I think needs some more time too. It just feels like the easy thing for BB to do is ride her 5 and hope for the best. I’m still hoping this season turns out to be good.

Just an aside…

In a close game like this every possession counts. I had to shake my head when ref called an inbounding violation on UB (I assume the player stepped on the line), but completely ignored several pretty obvious 3-second violations by Akron. 

Edited by 1975
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 1975 said:

I had to shake my head when ref called an inbounding violation on UB (I assume the player stepped on the line), but completely ignored several pretty obvious 3-second violations by Akron. 

Agreed on the uncalled 3 second violations but, assuming you're talking about the inbounding play at the end of the third quarter, the it was the correct call. Because it was an out of bounds call, KLW (the inbounder) needed to have one foot planted when inbounding. Amazingly none of the Akron players noticed it despite it happening right in front of them.

2 hours ago, rma said:

Agreed on the uncalled 3 second violations but, assuming you're talking about the inbounding play at the end of the third quarter, the it was the correct call. Because it was an out of bounds call, KLW (the inbounder) needed to have one foot planted when inbounding. Amazingly none of the Akron players noticed it despite it happening right in front of them.

Oh, I wasn’t excusing the inbounding violation because I couldn’t see what happened from my seat. Rather, it was my dismay at refs for not applying the same attention to detail when it came to 3 sec violations. As far as the throw-in, I thought players could move but not more than 3 feet. No? 

Edited by 1975
Typo
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, 1975 said:

Oh, I wasn’t excusing the inbounding violation because I couldn’t see what happened from my seat. Rather, it was my dismay at refs for not applying the same attention to detail when it came to 3 sec violations. As far as the throw-in, I thought players could move but not more than 3 feet. No? 

You're right. I was looking at a website that had the rules incorrectly cited.

From the NCAA rule book:

The following pertain to a designated spot:
a� The designated spot is the location at which a thrower-in is presented
disposal of the ball out of bounds as in Rules 4-10�1�a through �c�
b� The designated spot shall be 3 feet wide with no depth limitation�
c� The thrower-in must keep one foot on or over the designated spot until
the ball is released� Pivot foot restrictions and the traveling rule are not in
effect for a throw-in�
d� The thrower-in shall not leave the designated spot until they have released
the ball and the thrown-in ball crosses the plane of the sideline or end
line�

12 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

The male ref made a couple of terrible foul calls within the last minute or 2 that nearly cost us the game.  I believe one was on Lewis-Williams, one on Davis.  He's also the one that called the inbounds violation.

Men suck 

On 1/15/2024 at 7:59 AM, ChubbyHubby said:

The male ref made a couple of terrible foul calls within the last minute or 2 that nearly cost us the game.  I believe one was on Lewis-Williams, one on Davis.  He's also the one that called the inbounds violation.

I thought all the MAC AD’s had input about the officials in the MAC?? Do any of these so called refs get any kind of feedback and are shown all their terrible calls and put on the spot to improve or be gone at the end of the year.