Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

CONFIRMED: Mo Linguist taking Defensive Assistant job at Alabama!

9 minutes ago, RapidsFan said:

I like how all the people with vague personal grudges only have single-digit posts over a span of multiple years, and then show up once in a blue moon to glorypos

Just happy for the program and their future!  

Go Bulls!  Horns up

Did I read that correctly?  He's the 2nd head coach to be plucked for an assistant position at Bama.  I know it's Bama and SEC and all, but why would a HC willingly take an assistant job?  Being fired is one thing, but stepping down to do that?  I don't know if I could do it.

1 minute ago, ubbulls98 said:

Did I read that correctly?  He's the 2nd head coach to be plucked for an assistant position at Bama.  I know it's Bama and SEC and all, but why would a HC willingly take an assistant job?  Being fired is one thing, but stepping down to do that?  I don't know if I could do it.

$$$.

2 hours ago, MKBullsfan said:

Kind of don't blame him for leaving. Alabama assistant to the assistant coordinator job probably pays more than our head coaching position.

This mentality is what is a generational difference today between my generation and generations before me. You don’t leave a head coaching job where you are your own man for the assistant to the assistant co coordinator because it pays more there is more important things than money it’s ridiculous. If you are a real leader and a real man you are your own boss not a second or third banana because it pays more. My generation would never do that I would live in a modest house around UB Stadium signing a lifetime of one year contracts because I believe in my own ability. The money doesn’t matter building UB Bulls football into a power house overtime matters not the money. Russ Salvatore didn’t get rich overnight. I watched his restaurant keep adding and adding over decades. Because people like Russ Salvatore are committed to making Western New York a better place. Ok he isn’t running to Manhattan because he can make more money. My Uncle Herman owned a restaurant and bar until the day he died on the West Side of Buffalo. Again he didn’t run away he made Western New York a better place. Paul “Bear” Bryant at Alabama and Eddie Robinson at Grambling those are real men and leaders. I don’t know what Maurice Linquist is but he certainly isn’t a leader of men. Something is seriously wrong with someone to leave $675,000 a year job with three years left for an assistant coaches job. Do people understand for that kind of money that is in Western New York? A coach could buy a nice modest Western New York house and a nice vacation cottage in Canada or the Southern tier. That is elite living in Western New York. I am sorry I don’t get it. UB Bulls football has a $7 1/2 million dollar athletic performance center going up and a $18 million dollar field house and this fool can’t win or be happy he is screwed up in the head if you ask me. There is no reason to leave UB Bulls football for an assistant coaches position that is nuts. UB Bulls football and basketball can be St Bonaventure Bonnies if they get a committed head coach like Mark Schmidt for 17 years. He makes a little over $1 million dollars and is happy as his own man because he is a leader and built a program that wins. Mark Schmidt doesn’t have to run away from Western New York like a coward in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

See ya Mo,  don’t let the door hit ya.

I agree with the FCS route or the Lance method.  This football team really needs a coach to come in whose been a successful head coach at a program somewhere else.  Someone who isn’t learning on the job and understands how to lead young men and recruiting/staffing, etc.  Obviously the transfer portal is big too so an understanding of that whole process.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

$$$.

If you are in coaching for money you are in the wrong profession. There are things way more important than money like making Western New York a better place by building a winning program at UB in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

Not to mention the obvious lure of being part of a perennial national championship contender.   

As a co coordinator the assistant to the assistant. It’s like being the Water Boy at Alabama ridiculous in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Just now, zigo230 said:

We are all happier with the complete unknown regarding this football program…and maybe losing a bunch of recruits, than another year with Mo.  

I agree it was pretty obvious Maurice Linquist should never have been hired with zero head coaching experience to begin with in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jab said:

Just happy for the program and their future!  

Go Bulls!  Horns up

Agreed at least UB gets $750,000 from Alabama for that phony head coach that never really made a effort to engage with Western New York community completely the wrong hire for UB Bulls football always with one foot out the door in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RapidsFan said:

I like how all the people with vague personal grudges only have single-digit posts over a span of multiple years, and then show up once in a blue moon to glorypost

Where do I fit in? member since '04 and now, 6 posts?😀

1 hour ago, ubbulls98 said:

Can't disagree there.  It's the resigning and not being fired that is hard to compute.

Take the opportunity now before you get fired next year and it isn't there...

This is only about money in the sense that Mo is trying to preserve some future ability to become a P5 HC, which was not going to happen with the resumé he was building here.

45 minutes ago, RapidsFan said:

The Bisons haven't made the playoffs in 20 years and your best friend Bob Rich (net worth $10 billion) is about to ask New York State for $100 million in corporate welfare to renovate Sahlen Field

Get bent.

Maybe direct your complaints about organizational resource distribution and AAA roster construction to the Indians, Mets, and Blue Jays front offices?

The Bisons are a glorified public park downtown and are a fun summer cultural institution. And it's great. 

4 minutes ago, RapidsFan said:

Ah yes, all those public parks that charge $12.50 for admission

Figured you'd nitpick that instead of addressing your rage at the Bisons famous playoff drought. $15 to watch professional athletes play in a beautiful setting is fine.

7 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

Paul “Bear” Bryant at Alabama

What about Bryant at Kentucky?  What about Bryant at Texas A&M?

Something is seriously wrong with someone to leave $675,000 a year job

How far do you think that more than $675,000.00 goes in Tuscaloosa?

This mentality is what is a generational difference today between my generation and generations before me. You don’t leave a head coaching job where you are your own man for the assistant to the assistant co coordinator because it pays more there is more important things than money it’s ridiculous.

I have had three jobs in 40+ years.  One move was a "demotion". The next one was for a "promotion".  Although not the only reason, more money was a factor in both moves.

13 hours ago, Jab said:

The players will be ecstatic.  He was a horrible coach and a worse person.  

Seems like there aren’t a whole lot of people saying anything to the contrary right now. Usually you see some former players come out and congratulate a coach on their new job, doesn’t appear this has happened or will happen.

• Like 1