Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MAC Expansion

1 minute ago, promotherobot said:

UCONN football easy. UCONN basketball not so much.  How about Albany, Stony Brook, UNH or URI making the move to FBS?

The MAC has its fair share of football only schools.  It does not work.  Neither does football independence for schools other than Notre Dame and possibly Army and Navy.  At some point UConn will have to bite the bullet and join.

Comparison of UMass, UB and the Mid-American Conference using Massey Rankings, last 3 years of completed seasons only.

Football:

UMass - 131, 131, 130

Buffalo - 122, 101, 110

MAC Median - 115, 106, 97

MAC Low - 133 (Kent), 130 (Akron), 127 (Akron)

Men's Basketball:

UMass - 168, 158, 129

Buffalo - 178, 121, 97

MAC Median - 215, 241, 147

MAC High - 67 (Kent), 88 (Toledo), 79 (Ohio)

Women's Basketball:

UMass - 62, 63, 102

Buffalo - 178, 71, 100

MAC Median - 183, 124, 133

MAC High - 59 (Toledo), 67 (Toledo), 85 (CMU)

* Worth noting that the Minutewomen lost their head coach last year and are having a GH3-like year. Here's the A10 standings. Oh hey there Bonnies!

Men's Soccer:

MAC doesn't sponsor anymore, used implied rankings of 4 MAC schools for 2023

UMass - 103, 73, 74

MAC Median - 67 (RIP), 62, 41

MAC Low - 111 (BG), 112 (NIU, since Chicago State is a fake school), 75 (WMU)

Women's Soccer:

UMass - 128, 180, 152

Buffalo - 152, 78, 114

MAC Median - 172, 199, 151

MAC High - 91 (WMU), 78 (Buffalo), 84 (Bowling Green)

Baseball:

UMass - 281, 251, 256

MAC Median - 206, 206, 182

MAC Low - 273 (NIU), 272 (Akron), 268 (Akron)

Softball:

UMass - 246, 243, 257

Buffalo - 244, 190, 222

MAC Median - 169, 172, 199

MAC Low - 278 (Bowling Green), 234 (Toledo), 264 (Akron)

Women's Tennis

UMass - 194, 140, Did Not Compete

Buffalo - 158, 153, 176

MAC Median - 158, 165, 145

MAC Low - 226 (Bowling Green), 220 (Bowling Green), 216 (EMU)

MAC High - 69, 103, 104 (All Ball State)

Seems like they're no clear #1 in any MAC sponsored sport though they would compete with the top of the MAC in women's soccer and be towards the top in men's basketball. Massey does not have rankings for other team sports UMass competes in such as field hockey and lacrosse, and does not have any individual sports like swimming, track, and field. UMass does not appear to have a history of having a top shot put thrower, which is good news for us to continue our reign as a shot put school in the MAC.

Surdej Competes At NCAA Regional - University at Buffalo

UB's Jonathan Jones wins National Title in shot put | wgrz.com

8 hours ago, UB77 said:

Is Western Kentucky or Middle Tennessee still interested?

No I actually thought the opposite. I wonder if one of the Ohio’s schools would drop football with the College Football Playoff coming the cost are going to go up to stay in FBS long term. We discuss here how money is tight for UB athletics. You wonder about schools like Bowling Green Falcons teams where the MAC market is split. It would be like St Bonaventure Bonnies football hypothetically in the MAC with UB Bulls? Western New York isn’t big enough of a market for two MAC schools in FBS. So I would keep an eye on that. Some of these MAC schools are struggling with enrollment issues. So UMass might be number 12 with someone on there way out of the MAC? I am not saying that is happening but it might not be adding a 14th MAC school? Maybe a MAC contraction is coming that we don’t see behind the scenes. Not coming from the MAC itself but a member school dropping FBS football there for leaving the MAC in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

9 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

The MAC has its fair share of football only schools.  It does not work.  Neither does football independence for schools other than Notre Dame and possibly Army and Navy.  At some point UConn will have to bite the bullet and join.

I don’t think UConn Huskies basketball is joining the MAC ever. I could see UConn just dropping FBS football over joining the MAC in basketball. UConn the Big East Conference is their home. The Big East Conference is part of the Power schools. Connecticut Huskies and the State of Connecticut are all  Connecticut fans have left of big time anything. After the state of Connecticut foolishly let the Hartford Whalers walk almost three decades ago. Hartford was Oakland before Oakland. I have lived 56 plus years and I have to say the state of Connecticut and the city of Oakland have the most corrupt and morally bankrupt government in America. Yes Chicago is bad but they aren’t crazy to let teams that bring in money out the door. After the palms are greased both the Chicago Bears and Chicago White Sox will get what they want out of Chicago.

Oakland is a disgrace 3 teams in 10 years is reckless. The State of Connecticut Governor Rowland ended up in jail. This isn’t Republican vs Democrats this just flat out reckless and corruption. The Oakland mayor and common council should be removed from ever holding public office she is flat out lying. She keeps talking so close where is the money? Oh yeah oh she is a liar. I would bet the ranch they have back room deals on the Oakland Coliseum land they benefit from in some way financially sick. It has nothing to do about sports and my heart goes out to those fool A’s fans trying to save the Oakland Athletics they are gone. They are all gone because your Oakland public officials didn’t show the Oakland Athletics the money. You get what you vote for Oakland Athletics fans let it be a life lesson and move from Oakland because it’s going to get real bad once people realize all the spin off comes from being a big league city. Connecticut is stuck with UConn Huskies if they downgrade to the MAC the Connecticut fans will go nuts there. Political leaders of Connecticut want no part of that after bumbling the Hartford Whalers and the Hartford Whalers arena negotiations. Negotiating with the New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft was using Connecticut to get what he got out of Massachusetts. So no chance UConn Huskies join the MAC for political reasons will never happen in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

4 hours ago, umassfan said:

BeatWestern says you guys pulled hard for us. 

The pleasantries aside, hope we kick your a$$ on Sept 14.

Wow you are a dreamer hope springs eternal. UMass football needs a lot of investment to get where UB Bulls are now. UMass football is like UB Bulls in 1999. Eventually UMass football will get there but a lot more investment needs to be made to the UMass football program. That doesn’t mean UMass football can’t pull the upset just that it is going to take a while in the MAC. UB Bulls have one MAC championship in football since 1999 in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

8 hours ago, verandaman said:

I guess UB will be looking for OOC games for 25'(?), '26, '27 and '28 season??

UB Bulls will find a payday game to help the bottom line if I had to guess which is fine in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I don't want WKU without MTSU. I don't really want either because we have enough open enrollment schools in the conference, but if you're adding one you have to add the other. Conference realignment has killed so many rivalries already, no need to add to that list.

On 2/27/2024 at 12:23 AM, UB Horns Up said:

Wow you are a dreamer hope springs eternal. UMass football needs a lot of investment to get where UB Bulls are now. UMass football is like UB Bulls in 1999. Eventually UMass football will get there but a lot more investment needs to be made to the UMass football program. That doesn’t mean UMass football can’t pull the upset just that it is going to take a while in the MAC. UB Bulls have one MAC championship in football since 1999 in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Idk, Our Performance Center and Hunt Hospitality Suite is much better than UB. Though a bubble, our IPF is fine. Do you have that stuff in 1999. Sure you did not have a strong Football collective with a health budget. We'll see how we do in September. We invested 34.5M in 2012 and 18 M in 2019 and more will happen.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/27/2024 at 8:57 PM, rma said:

I don't want WKU without MTSU. I don't really want either because we have enough open enrollment schools in the conference, but if you're adding one you have to add the other. Conference realignment has killed so many rivalries already, no need to add to that list.

Think adding more private schools would help? Would improve the academic reputation, and could serve as a bridge to improving athletic reputation. I don’t know how many of those big private schools are looking for a conference, but if a school like RIT went D1 in sports it would be an exciting change. Their Corner Crew student section is incredible at hockey. Just thinking a school like that has a lot of pride, donor commitment, and would be a reputation builder for the MAC

21 hours ago, Blue03 said:

Think adding more private schools would help? Would improve the academic reputation, and could serve as a bridge to improving athletic reputation. I don’t know how many of those big private schools are looking for a conference, but if a school like RIT went D1 in sports it would be an exciting change. Their Corner Crew student section is incredible at hockey. Just thinking a school like that has a lot of pride, donor commitment, and would be a reputation builder for the MAC

I do not see RIT moving all sports to Division I.  To join the MAC they would have to bring back football, which they dropped after having to come from behind to tie UB, when UB had not played a game in seven years.