Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MBB vs Toledo | 3/2/2024 2pm | ESPN+

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

Who's fault is it that there is no talent here? The main talent (and scoring 52% of the points on the season) that is on this current team was left from the previous regime. Why does this staff get a complete pass about not bringing in any players if this team is so "talent-less"? Last year's team lost pretty much all of their scoring coming into the season, yet somehow brought in enough "talent" to be a .500 team and make it to the MAC tournament (including leaving behind their most talented piece that didn't even get to play last year). The "the coach got started late" doesn't work, sorry. This isn't 2000 where you only can bring in freshmen and then have to develop them over the course of years. They didn't bring in a guy like Armoni - veteran PG to help the new guys, or a guy like Zid, who at least made games enjoyable to watch, as frustrating as he was a times to watch, or Adams, or Jo, or a major talent like Sy who had to sit out. There's no reason for UB to ever have 2 MAC wins and 3 wins overall at this point in the season, NIL, no NIL, whatever. Again, this roster is far more "talented" than those 2/3 wins anyhow, but this whole talk is ridiculous at this point. The MAC is far leaner than year's past, only 4 teams in the top 200 in the NCAA and 3 teams 300+! The pre-season schedule didn't have a ton of the "big name" opponents as they have in year's past. Yet somehow we're relegated to "this team has improved", versus having wins. There's many more multiples of double digit losses than wins, including the time of the somehow recently "improved" team.

While I still go to the games and always support the teams and programs, I just can't understand how anyone can possibly see silver linings based upon what they've seen over the last several months of this team, and then possibly think that it's going to get drastically better once their (by far) best player is gone next year. At least when the Sabres suck, they at least pour on wins once their out of it (like they have been recently), and give people something to cheer over. We're still sitting on 3 wins (sorry, a 28 turnover "win" versus Roberts Wesleyan is not counted in my eyes) with only 2 games left to play. Maybe we can pull off a win on senior night and at least have something to smile about on Friday (versus the crowd leaving the games with their collective heads hanging like they have had to do most night's this year). 

We can all have our opinions on what has happened. There have been opinions by some sports journalists that because of NIL and the transfer portal many of the mid major conferences are in big trouble getting talented athletes. Without a coaching staff with and without an experienced recruiter  with the current status in college it will be very difficult to get a decent roster and keep them. Do not have information if this staff has been successful in their recruiting. There are many college teams all over the landscape that are having terrible seasons.I recently seen Depaul’s record something like 2 wins and 0-17 in conference just to name one college. It is all about the power conferences and their millions and millions of dollars and these kids being sold on NIL deals that many of the mid majors can’t compete with. The idea of an education does not seem to be discussed. Will continue to follow some college basketball and some of us will look for other venues to spend our dollar on. 

4 minutes ago, John said:

We can all have our opinions on what has happened. There have been opinions by some sports journalists that because of NIL and the transfer portal many of the mid major conferences are in big trouble getting talented athletes. Without a coaching staff with and without an experienced recruiter  with the current status in college it will be very difficult to get a decent roster and keep them. Do not have information if this staff has been successful in their recruiting. There are many college teams all over the landscape that are having terrible seasons.I recently seen Depaul’s record something like 2 wins and 0-17 in conference just to name one college. It is all about the power conferences and their millions and millions of dollars and these kids being sold on NIL deals that many of the mid majors can’t compete with. The idea of an education does not seem to be discussed. Will continue to follow some college basketball and some of us will look for other venues to spend our dollar on. 

DePaul plays in the big east against 9 teams ranked in the top 70 (one team ranked 200, and them). Ub plays in the mac with 0 teams in the top 100 and 8 teams ranked 200+. Not quite apples to apples comparison.

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Who's fault is it that there is no talent here? The main talent (and scoring 52% of the points on the season) that is on this current team was left from the previous regime. Why does this staff get a complete pass about not bringing in any players if this team is so "talent-less"? Last year's team lost pretty much all of their scoring coming into the season, yet somehow brought in enough "talent" to be a .500 team and make it to the MAC tournament (including leaving behind their most talented piece that didn't even get to play last year). The "the coach got started late" doesn't work, sorry. This isn't 2000 where you only can bring in freshmen and then have to develop them over the course of years. They didn't bring in a guy like Armoni - veteran PG to help the new guys, or a guy like Zid, who at least made games enjoyable to watch, as frustrating as he was a times to watch, or Adams, or Jo, or a major talent like Sy who had to sit out. There's no reason for UB to ever have 2 MAC wins and 3 wins overall at this point in the season, NIL, no NIL, whatever. Again, this roster is far more "talented" than those 2/3 wins anyhow, but this whole talk is ridiculous at this point. The MAC is far leaner than year's past, only 4 teams in the top 200 in the NCAA and 3 teams 300+! The pre-season schedule didn't have a ton of the "big name" opponents as they have in year's past. Yet somehow we're relegated to "this team has improved", versus having wins. There's many more multiples of double digit losses than wins, including the time of the somehow recently "improved" team.

While I still go to the games and always support the teams and programs, I just can't understand how anyone can possibly see silver linings based upon what they've seen over the last several months of this team, and then possibly think that it's going to get drastically better once their (by far) best player is gone next year. At least when the Sabres suck, they at least pour on wins once their out of it (like they have been recently), and give people something to cheer over. We're still sitting on 3 wins (sorry, a 28 turnover "win" versus Roberts Wesleyan is not counted in my eyes) with only 2 games left to play. Maybe we can pull off a win on senior night and at least have something to smile about on Friday (versus the crowd leaving the games with their collective heads hanging like they have had to do most night's this year). 

While one has to admit this season has been bad.  I would characterize it as not enough experienced talent on the team rather than no talent. 

I am not done yet, but I am compiling stats for MAC conference play by player since 2015-16 season.  So far, Boldin's and Sabol stats seem to be decent stats for freshman and Wilson has come on to play better of late - but he likely did not play enough to really be able to gauge from his stats.  Not saying that the conclusions people are drawing are wrong - I just feel you need a little perspective on the fact that over 50% of the teams minutes came from players who have almost no D1 experience prior to this year.  This leads to turnovers, probably weak defense and inconsistent 3 point shooting. 

Here are some partial results showing FR with at least 75 3PT attempts.

image.png.547bdc9efe9efa4de86c54f2cd64e576.png

11 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

While one has to admit this season has been bad.  I would characterize it as not enough experienced talent on the team rather than no talent. 

I am not done yet, but I am compiling stats for MAC conference play by player since 2015-16 season.  So far, Boldin's and Sabol stats seem to be decent stats for freshman and Wilson has come on to play better of late - but he likely did not play enough to really be able to gauge from his stats.  Not saying that the conclusions people are drawing are wrong - I just feel you need a little perspective on the fact that over 50% of the teams minutes came from players who have almost no D1 experience prior to this year.  This leads to turnovers, probably weak defense and inconsistent 3 point shooting. 

Here are some partial results showing FR with at least 75 3PT attempts.

image.png.547bdc9efe9efa4de86c54f2cd64e576.png

When the freshman all are here 3 years from now, I'll change my tune. Based on the past 4-5 years, where practically no one stays more than a year or two beyond their freshman year, I'll remain steadfast in my current thoughts on where we stand. No one forced this staff to not get experienced players,  or even an experienced assistant coach. Last year's staff got experienced players along with a raw youngster in Jack. Instead we have what we have now, and that is a completely lost season, combined with a now last place status in the MAC, which is something that won't be seen as a positive on the recruiting trail.

Edited by skrabukes
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

When the freshman all are here 3 years from now, I'll change my tune. Based on the past 4-5 years, where practically no one stays more than a year or two beyond their freshman year, I'll remain steadfast in my current thoughts on where we stand. No one forced this staff to not get experienced players,  or even an experienced assistant coach. Last year's staff got experienced players along with a raw youngster in Jack. Instead we have what we have now, and that is a completely lost season, combined with a now last place status in the MAC, which is something that won't be seen as a positive on the recruiting trail.

Spot on. 

9 minutes ago, Chet said:

Spot on. 

Do agree also. The total chaos in college sports has changed from last year to this year. All these players are being sold a bill of goods and it depends who they listen to and for many of these players they will go to power conferences and sit on the bench with little or no playing time. If some of these players can get NIL deals they will stay for the money and for their education as a secondary reason. Money used to drive the business world now it is the driving force for college athletes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

I am not arguing that Halcovage will have these guys for four years.  I was saying that I view the problem is that he should have brought in one or two less freshman and brought in 3 more portal players.

Also I am not as pessimistic about the three freshman - if they stay - the future is not as bleak as some say.

Edited by DocCas86

15 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I am not arguing that Halcovage will have these guys for four years.  I was saying that I view the problem is that he should have brought in one or two less freshman and brough in 3 more portal players.

Also I am not as pessimistic about the three freshman - if they stay - the future is not as bleak as some say.

I don't mind adding to a team with guys in the portal, but I don't like building primarily with them.  For the guys who are only here for a year or two, they (a) don't get better, they're as good as they'll be; and (b) there's just way too much turnover.  When you already have a core of players, and you add on someone like that, then fine.  
(if they're going to be here for 3 years, there's enough potential and time to develop)

The freshmen - that's exactly my feeling right now.  This season felt like a disaster for most of the time.  Right now, the progress I've seen in them, it feels slightly less disastrous.  IF they stay, you have the core of a new team that just a big jump start to their development with that much playing time.  A big "IF" in today's NCAA.  Battle/Bortz/Bird/Gilbert all played a ton early on, and it paid off in the end.

1 hour ago, enrique14150 said:

I don't mind adding to a team with guys in the portal, but I don't like building primarily with them.  For the guys who are only here for a year or two, they (a) don't get better, they're as good as they'll be; and (b) there's just way too much turnover.  When you already have a core of players, and you add on someone like that, then fine.  
(if they're going to be here for 3 years, there's enough potential and time to develop)

The freshmen - that's exactly my feeling right now.  This season felt like a disaster for most of the time.  Right now, the progress I've seen in them, it feels slightly less disastrous.  IF they stay, you have the core of a new team that just a big jump start to their development with that much playing time.  A big "IF" in today's NCAA.  Battle/Bortz/Bird/Gilbert all played a ton early on, and it paid off in the end.

Absolutely no disrespect to those guys as they were one of my favorite teams, but Battle/Bortz/Bird/Gilbert had a disappointing senior season by finishing in 7th place in the MAC regular season. After a run in the MAC tourney from the 7th seed, they had the most devastating loss in the Bulls modern era after being up by almost 20 in the first half of the MAC championship game vs Ohio.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

How do you explain St Bonaventure Bonnies winning and they are the smallest school in Division I basketball in enrollment. UB Bulls brought this nonsense on themselves. Firing Jim Whitesell without a coach that wanted to come to Buffalo wasn’t the greatest idea in the world. UB has been very slow to embrace the NIL changes in college basketball and they are presently paying the price for that. We aren’t asking UB to beat a Power 5 school they have trouble just beating any Division I basketball school. The coach presently is huge part of the problem. I don’t see anyone presently on the UB roster that you can really build on. They are already accept the losing. The UB Bulls basketball culture is too far damaged. UB needs to start completely over with UB basketball. Starting with upping the coaching salary to hire a coach that has a clue how to put a roster together and coach. It has nothing to do with NIL and the power schools they have nothing to do with the present sucking of UB Bulls basketball in the MAC in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

5 minutes ago, Chet said:

Absolutely no disrespect to those guys as they were one of my favorite teams, but Battle/Bortz/Bird/Gilbert had a disappointing senior season by finishing in 7th place in the MAC regular season. After a run in the MAC tourney from the 7th seed, they had the most devastating loss in the Bulls modern era after being up by almost 20 in the first half of the MAC championship game vs Ohio.

Up 19

Up 4 less than a minute left

Idbihi from the corner with Battle not touching the ball to end regulation

Leon freaking Williams 

Heatbreak

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Chet said:

I remember listening to that game on the radio.  Disappointing for sure.  But that 2004-05 season saw the Bulls go 23-10 (11-7 MAC) for the winningest season in Reggie’s tenure (and best overall W-L% in the MAC).  

The MAC was a logjam that season, with 6 teams at 11-7 including Ohio, behind Miami of Ohio at 12-6.  UB was the highest scoring team in the MAC that year, which I have to believe was a rarity during the Reggie years.  
IMG_1381.thumb.jpeg.c2eacc835193082e32fb4c0ecb06f095.jpeg

Edited by Bluebird96

I wanted to add something else. I believe UB Bulls basketball team can win the MAC again. This is UB Bulls basketball job is a winnable coaching job in the MAC. It isn’t like this UB Bulls basketball program never won the MAC before. There is a history of success. UB just needs to fix the coaching problem if that is Turner Battle next season who ever anyone is an upgrade over George Halcovage. George Halcovage has zero personality compared to Pete Lembo. Stop hiring people with zero personality Maurice Linquist was like that too. I don’t think it has anything to do with what is going on at the very high end level of the Power schools. I guess I have a problem that UB Bulls basketball are so bad in MAC basketball that we aren’t even competitive which is shocking. I don’t think the problem is UB in the MAC it’s the head coach.

Also you can win at DePaul that Wintrust Arena that the city of Chicago built with some of Navy Pier profits is beautiful that both the Chicago Sky WNBA and DePaul Blue Demons play in. Eventually DePaul Blue Demons will win in the Big East Conference. I personally would take the DePaul job over Creighton Blue Jays job. Because it’s Chicago give me Chicago over Omaha any day and twice on Sunday. DePaul just has to get the right coach in there that knows what they are doing.

Same with Canisius Golden Griffins you can win the MAAC there the Griffs basketball team have won the MAAC before. The Griffs need a new head coach and they need to go back to playing home games downtown at Key Bank Center or add seating at the Buffalo Convention Center playing there. But the Griffs need to get out of KAC which isn’t a Division I facility. Economically the Buffalo East Side of the city of Buffalo is very challenged/troubled which unfortunately scares off some Buffalo fans from going to Griffs games at night or day which is unfortunate. I personally never had a problem going to Griffs games or Bisons games on the East Side but unfortunately some Buffalo fans do and they stay away which is unfortunate. But it is what it is but there is no potential at the KAC for Griffs basketball. Griffs basketball playing at KAC is like the Buffalo Bisons playing at War Memorial Stadium. The Buffalo Bisons took off when they opened Pilot Field downtown in 1988 and left the East Side of Buffalo same deal with the Griffs basketball team move them downtown and Griffs basketball attendance would increase in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Go Griffs! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

15 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Up 19

Up 4 less than a minute left

Idbihi from the corner with Battle not touching the ball to end regulation

Leon freaking Williams 

Heatbreak

Bringing that game up again!!!! Our family was there and remember so many fans yelling for Reggie to call a timeout when Ohio went on the run and he stood on the sidelines and did nothing. Old wounds again as Reggie joins a long list of coaches that are terrible X’s and O’s coaches. I am getting sick again just thinking of that game. On the other opinions we can agree to disagree. The college landscape especiallly at the mid major level has changed since the pandemic, the transfer portal and now the NIL. All these kids see and hear what is happening. It is more important than ever to have the right head coach and a good recruiting staff that can promote your program as a positive both academically and financially. Then the big question is?i Is a coach going to hit on some players that turn into very good D-1 players and promote a team atmosphere?? The debate will go on and that is what continues to be great about college sports and to have different perspectives. 

Please, let's not re-live that game.  We have so many better memories to draw from.

Most of this season is done and dusted.  The only way is forward.  Halcovage isn't going anywhere.  We'll see what they can do from here off some late season progress.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

Please, let's not re-live that game.  We have so many better memories to draw from.

Most of this season is done and dusted.  The only way is forward.  Halcovage isn't going anywhere.  We'll see what they can do from here off some late season progress.

Agree! Looking forward to the four remaining games this week and positive thoughts going forward. Go Bulls!!