Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ready for one of the dumber headlines ever written for a sport article?

Buffalo Basketball Adds To Its NCAA Tournament Resume In A Big Way

The article itself isn't nearly as back-handed as the title, but just read that again... not only is that something you'd only write for a mid or late season win for a bubble team, but let's reexamine last night's matchup...

1) Buffalo is fvcking ranked... and not eeking in near the low 20's, we are fvcking 14th.  Syracuse isn't ranked in the top-25 in anything other than per capita VD cases and inflated self-worth (in the latter they are ranked 3rd in the country only behind tOSUx fans and P.J. Fleck)

2) Buffalo is fvcking undefeated.  It's hard to improve your NCAA resume when you haven't lost a game.  I guess Buffalo has only beaten Div. III schools and junior highs to this point?

3) SUx ain't sh1t.  Syracuse hasn't been a power in basketball for a while now.  This Buffalo team beating this Syracuse team is honestly nothing special.  Vegas got burned again making UB a 3.5 pts dog.  I want to say UB is nearly undefeated ATS.

This article is almost as insulting as it is asinine.

Edited by Hokie200proof

4 minutes ago, Hokie200proof said:

Buffalo Basketball Adds To Its NCAA Tournament Resume In A Big Way

This article is almost as insulting as it is asinine.

What's asinine about the title? The NCAA has a history of snuffing teams with quality wins or are ranked? Also, it's a good win. Syracuse struggling or not, to go to the carrier dome on the road when SU was just ranked last week, is big and the NCAA and the world takes notice. Beating them does add to our resume to get an at-large bid.

Also, Mark Gaughan wrote the article, who has been covering men's basketball for a while. It's not insulting when it sums up what UB needs to do to compile an at-large resume. If they beat Marquette Friday, they will pretty much seal a chance, unless they fall apart during conference play. 

R-E-L-A-X 

the title is fine. factual, not backhanded. we play in a 1 bid league, and this helps if we don't win the championship.

1-  Syracuse was 25 last week. Syr was 63, and is still 73 in net. An away game against top 75 is a quad 1 win. 

2- the mac is relatively weak. winning against better teams, especially ooc helps our tourney resume tremendously as we won't have the opportunity to pick up quality wins that big conference teams can. The 2 teams after us in the mac in net are Toledo at 71, and Kent at 100. 3 teams in the 200s. That's 1 possible quad 1 win. 

3 - su may not be seen as a power recently. But in the last 5 yrs, they've been to 2 final fours. 3 elite eights and 4 sweet 16s in the last 6 yrs. we can hope to not be a power like that. let's not get too big for our britches after one (amazing) tourney win, and 1/3 of a great season. 

I'm with you man, the article sounded back handed, but really, it's a positive article. Let's not forget that the only reason that we are 14 is because we had beaten WV at home and we are undefeated. I wish I could say there was more to it than that, but there really isn't. We're getting respect because we are looking good right now, but we haven't really had anything to put us down as a top flight team.

I love to dream of a long time run and look into a crystal ball to see us hoist a national title, but I would say that with the way we're shooting right now, regardless of how good our defense is, we could not stare down a Michigan or Duke right now. We might hang tough with Tennessee or Texas Tech, but we would probably still drop it due to our shooting.

I'm not trying to take wind out of sails here, especially since I would make a deal with the devil to see us hoist, but we really need to have a complete game before we can really have any idea of what kind of team we'll be in March.

Playing the defense we have been, with the turnovers, and shooting above 50% for the game with about a 40% from 3 and I think we could handle any team in the league. I also believe those numbers are possible, albeit lofty

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChubbyHubby said:

One silly question.  Do we now have to root for Cuse to win so that our win against them looks better?  That's gonna be a tough one.

Haha, unfortunately, yes... We want to see them get back into the top 25 and win some impressive games during conference play.

I agree...a very bitter pill to swallow

8 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

One silly question.  Do we now have to root for Cuse to win so that our win against them looks better?  That's gonna be a tough one.

We want every team we play to win so that all our win against them look better.  That is of course unrealistic but for certain we want Cuse, WVU, Marquette and SIU to do as best as they can.