Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

WBB vs Ball St

That was about as big a punch in the mouth as you could get. UB looked completely unprepared for the press. If they didn’t think Ball St was going to come out strong after how we started the last game, they coaching staff was fooling themselves. If we are #4, there is a major gap between 2 and 4. We will see how this ends up, but we may get run out of the gym. We have 12 turnovers 15 minutes into the game, one of our major issues all season.

Not the ending they wanted but all in all this was a successful season. They are +3 in conference play and +5 overall with the 4th seed in year #2.  I think preseason they were picked to finish 9th or 10th. 

KLW is the clear favorite for MAC FOY and Watson #5 scorer in the country should be POY. If not for KLW, Davis has a case for FOY but both should be on the MAC all freshman team and second and third all conference respectively. Watson is a clear first team candidate.

1 hour ago, NC_UBfan said:

KLW is the clear favorite for MAC FOY

It's actually absurdly close "in my opinion". How would you rank the resumes below for FOTY?

Player 1

Total stats (conference stats)
12.1 (12.1) ppg
5.1 (4.8) rpg
2.9 (2.7) apg
1.4 (1.6) spg
0.5 (0.5) bpg
955 (615) minutes
46.8% (46.5%) FG
71.5% (72.5%) FT
11.1% (0.0%) 3PT (very low volume)
1.00 (0.89) assists to turnover ratio

Player 2

10.3 (11.6) ppg
7.7 (8.9) rpg
1.6 (1.3) apg
1.2 (1.4) spg
1.1 (1.2) bpg
865 (571) minutes
39.3% (38.7%) FG
76.3% (77.0%) FT
26.9% (26.9%) 3PT
0.82 (0.52) assists to turnover ratio

Player 3

10.7 (12.3) ppg
4.1 (4.6) rpg
3.7 (3.6) apg
0.9 (0.9) spg
0.0 (0.0) bpg
951 (628) minutes
33.3% (35.3%) FG
78.9% (77.8%) FT
26.9% (26.7%) 3PT
1.27 (1.25) assists to turnover ratio

Player 4
8.2 (8.3) ppg
6.6 (6.7) rpg
0.6 (0.8) apg
0.7 (0.7) spg
0.4 (0.3) bpg
762 (476) minutes
46.4% (46.0%) FG
63.8% (73.9%) FT
0.0% (0.0%) 3PT (practically 0 shots)
0.47 (0.67) assists to turnover ratio

Edited by rma
added in another player

2 hours ago, NC_UBfan said:

This is an old fashioned beat down on senior day no less. I’m sure the coaches and players will use this as fuel to prep for BG in Cleveland. 

Senior day for Rana and Johnson. Does that mean Watson has another year in the transfer portal?? It looked like we were totally unprepared for the Ball State press and never figured it out. They spend us up and when we did get the ball over half court Ball State defensively put their three frontcourt players across the freee throw line and Watson had no place to go. UB panicked with their passes and most of their shots were all rushed. Ball State has a nice inside/outside game and used both against us. I don’t recall Ball State using a press in many games. Do not know if this is going to be a learning experience for us as it is very hard to practice against it with the players we have. No hand shake between Burke and the Ball state coach and she never even looked his way as there appears to be still bad blood between them from last years game. 

2 minutes ago, John said:

No hand shake between Burke and the Ball state coach and she never even looked his way as there appears to be still bad blood between them from last years game. 

I noticed the same before the game, although after the game they shook and were amicable (unlike last year).

12 minutes ago, John said:

Does that mean Watson has another year in the transfer portal

Yes she has another year of eligibility and, assuming she has a degree, is free to transfer again or stay here and play.

In terms of the game it was ugly. Would have been nice to get the win but we're lucky that the game really didn't matter and we ended up with the higher seed anyway.

34 minutes ago, rma said:

It's actually absurdly close "in my opinion". How would you rank the resumes below for FOTY?

Why are you limiting to conference only stats? The only criteria for award is be a eligible freshman, nominated and voted by the  coaches.

KLW is top 20 in almost every category except 3pt shooting. Probably don't want to be #1 in fouls or 12th in turnovers but beside that this is why I say  clear favorite for FOY.  

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kirsten-lewis-williams-1.html#all_last5

image.thumb.png.be86efb229b592768cbd1437508e7617.png

10 minutes ago, NC_UBfan said:

Why are you limiting to conference only stats?

I'm not. I listed each player's total stats and their conference stats in parentheses. For what it's worth the other players I have listed above are all freshmen and listed in the top 20 for a large majority of the stats.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/mac/women/2024-leaders.html

If you click on Paige Kohler, Amber Tretter, Kirsten Lewis-Williams, Alexis Davis it's easy to compare them against each other.

Screenshot2024-03-09at8_46_54PM.thumb.png.6e1202035bd54f22ea9780d8aa466199.png

For what it's worth I think the race for Freshman of the Year will not include Davis. I think Davis is a huge asset for the team and has one of the top 10 freshmen performances in a UB WBB uniform in the past decade, but her stats this year are below Tretter in every single category except FG%. I also expect to see Davis on the All-Freshman Team.

Head to Head (to Head) Winners

KLW: PPG, SPG, FG%, True Shooting %, Win Shares, Offensive Win Shares, Defensive Win Shares, Win Shares / 40, Offensive Rating, Steal %, Points Produced Per Game

Kohler: APG, FT%, Usage %, Assist %, Turnover % (low)

Tretter: RPG, BPG, 3PT%, Turnovers (low), Player Efficiency Rating, Defensive Box Plus/Minus, Defensive Rating, Total/Offensive/Defensive Rebound %, Block %

Worth noting the stats I pulled are from the schools' websites, not sports-reference which I believe excludes non-D1 opponents. I think it's very possible that KLW gets the award, but it really could go to any of the three players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rma said:

My analysis isn’t relevant anymore. Freshman of the Year goes to Kirsten Lewis-Williams!

I'm actually shocked. Not that she didn't deserve it, because I thought she did, but will Chellia not winning POY, I was skeptical it would happen. Of note, I would say former recruit Paige Kohler was a close second with her stat line.

24 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I'm actually shocked. Not that she didn't deserve it, because I thought she did, but will Chellia not winning POY, I was skeptical it would happen. Of note, I would say former recruit Paige Kohler was a close second with her stat line.

Good for KLW.  And kudos for Watson making 1st team All-MAC.

As for POTY, I find it interesting that the winner, Sophia Wiard from Toledo didn’t lead the MAC in any of the top stats and was never voted MAC Player of the Week.  By comparison, Watson won that honor a MAC-leading 5 times.  Curious to say the least…

IMG_1417.thumb.jpeg.4f29dea66b98d4935193c1f4b133e31b.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

Good for KLW.  And kudos for Watson making 1st team All-MAC.

As for POTY, I find it interesting that the winner, Sophia Wiard from Toledo didn’t lead the MAC in any of the top stats and was never voted MAC Player of the Week.  By comparison, Watson won that honor a MAC-leading 5 times.  Curious to say the least…

IMG_1417.thumb.jpeg.4f29dea66b98d4935193c1f4b133e31b.jpeg

I'm guessing Senior on the top team put here there. Not saying I agree or it's right, but the MAC tends to do dumb shit like that. They also would be mortified to give Buffalo POY and FPOY in the same season. Watson was #6 in scoring IN THE COUNTRY!! Sophia was in the 150s. Watson had more rebounds per game, Sophia has more assist per game and was about 3% higher FG%. It is definitely a head scratcher.

2 minutes ago, rma said:

Wiard lead the conference in a number of advanced stats and things like Win Shares. Not the flashy pick but acceptable IMO

Hard to argue with the PG on the top team winning I guess.  Here’s hoping Watson stays for one more season and leads the Bulls to the top of the MAC next year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

Hard to argue with the PG on the top team winning I guess.  Here’s hoping Watson stays for one more season and leads the Bulls to the top of the MAC next year. 

It would be a movie finish for them to run the tournament 🤘