Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bowl Projections - 2 keep popping up

promotherobot

The dozen or so sites that track such things, Buffalo keeps coming up in two bowls with two opponents:

The Camellia Bowl in Montgomery AL (12/25) vs Louisiana

The Arizona Bowl in Tucson AZ (12/31) vs San Jose State

I held out hope that the Bulls would get a P5 opponent but both UL and San Jose are ranked and would be good challenges. One outlier prediction is Boise State at the Idaho Potato Bowl (ugh.)  Great opponent but for the sake of the players I hope they get to go to Florida or Arizona.,

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

The dozen or so sites that track such things, Buffalo keeps coming up in two bowls with two opponents:

The Camellia Bowl in Montgomery AL (12/25) vs Louisiana

The Arizona Bowl in Tucson AZ (12/31) vs San Jose State

I held out hope that the Bulls would get a P5 opponent but both UL and San Jose are ranked and would be good challenges. One outlier prediction is Boise State at the Idaho Potato Bowl (ugh.)  Great opponent but for the sake of the players I hope they get to go to Florida or Arizona.,

To early to say IF we win the next two games and JP runs for 300 yards in both games.  We might get a better bowl.

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

One ESPN pick has UB in the Camellia Bowl against Coastal Carolina.  Ordinarily. I would that this year that would be a great match up, but we play them at home next year.

CBS has UB back at the Dollar General Lending Tree Bowl against Louisiana.

Coastal would be a great matchup too. 

No matter what happens in the MAC Championship game, the Bulls are an attractive team because of Patterson.  He's received a lot of nation pub and can be the focal point of hyping up a non-descript and no fans in attendance Bowl game. 

Since we didn't get to play any non-conference Power 5 teams on the schedule,  I'd just like to see a match up with the best opponent possible.

6 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Projection.  There have been very few actual invites so far as a lot will depend on next weekend.  Dollar General Lending Tree is Western Kentucky against Georgia State.

Not an invite, but more than a projection.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/ub-football-wraps-up-regular-season-will-face-ball-state-for-mac-title/article_e507f28a-3cc1-11eb-8383-07574ce1271c.html

Here is the quote from the article:

"The MAC also gave some indication of UB’s final game of the season, as the Bulls plan to accept a bowl bid. Buffalo and Ball State will play in either the Arizona Bowl on Dec. 31 in Tucson, Ariz., or a yet-to-be determined ESPN bowl game."

Pure guess, by if Patterson puts up big numbers and UB wins big on Friday night, I do not see them in Arizona Bowl.  If they win as described, it would make UB an attractive team for a high profile - high paying bowl.

I could see them playing on New Year's Day in either the Citrus (nee Tangerine Bowl) or the Birmingham Bowl.  They could also play on January 2nd in either the Gator or Outback Bowls.  The games all have an open spot with no conference tie in.

If that happens the Citrus Bowl would be the game my choice for them, based on not going in 1958.

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Pure guess, by if Patterson puts up big numbers and UB wins big on Friday night, I do not see them in Arizona Bowl.  If they win as described, it would make UB an attractive team for a high profile - high paying bowl.

I could see them playing on New Year's Day in either the Citrus (nee Tangerine Bowl) or the Birmingham Bowl.  They could also play on January 2nd in either the Gator or Outback Bowls.  The games all have an open spot with no conference tie in.

If that happens the Citrus Bowl would be the game my choice for them, based on not going in 1958.

Too many P5 schools for UB to get a New Years or later bowl. Would be great but I doubt it can happen.

Because of the MACC Buffalo can't play until Dec. 25 the earliest. All bowl games before then have been selected. See the schedule here:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/college-football-bowl-schedule-tracker-2020-21/xrdhum1d01fj1dp1bxexl5ey7

Seems to be a decent bit of confusion going on right now.  ESPN apparently announced that the Arizona Bowl will be Western Michigan against Boise State.  But now the rumor is that WMU hasn't received a bowl bid and doesn't expect to.  The Arizona Bowl has also tweeted that the winner of the Mountain West title game (Boise State vs. San Jose State) is going to be in their bowl - which implies that Boise State isn't committed to the Arizona Bowl either.

Meanwhile, the MAC made some vague statement that the only football teams who will be getting bowl games are UB and Ball State.

2 hours ago, UBlearns said:

Seems to be a decent bit of confusion going on right now.  ESPN apparently announced that the Arizona Bowl will be Western Michigan against Boise State.  But now the rumor is that WMU hasn't received a bowl bid and doesn't expect to.  The Arizona Bowl has also tweeted that the winner of the Mountain West title game (Boise State vs. San Jose State) is going to be in their bowl - which implies that Boise State isn't committed to the Arizona Bowl either.

Meanwhile, the MAC made some vague statement that the only football teams who will be getting bowl games are UB and Ball State.

That's odd. The conference needs as much money as it can get. Are they saying they won't send anyone but BSU and UB, or the bowl committees only want BSU and UB?

On 12/15/2020 at 4:40 PM, promotherobot said:

I assumed the later the bowl game the larger the payout. I was wrong. Both the Arizona and Camellia bowls pay $300-350K. That will barely cover the cost of flying to the game. Very disappointing. Really hoped UB could score money bowl for once, especially this year. But the P5 aren't sharing their pot of gold.

On 12/15/2020 at 4:40 PM, promotherobot said:

Just looked at several bowl projection articles that came out today. It really looks like Buffalo is either playing the Camellia or Arizona bowls with Ball State going to the other. Maybe the decider is who wins Friday?

The SUn Belt Conference championship game between Louisiana and Coastal Carolina has been canceled.  There is some discussion of having those two meeting the Camellia Bowl.