Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell Appreciation Thread

UB92

I think a big problem with whitesell coaching is his philosophy of being a players program. Which is awesome but at the same time you still need to coach/call plays/adjust/play the clock etc and I do think hus in game management is lacking

He obviously is a good coach or he wouldn't have coached for 20 plus years and under some very good coaches but maybe he needs an assistant that does in game situations. He needs to improve in that area

He improved through out the season so maybe there is hope but we are running out of time. He needs to hit the recruiting trail hard

2 minutes ago, Erie County said:

The problem Is hardnett shooting threes, Mballa running the point, and having zero half court offense. 

MAC tournament losses under Hurley - 1

Under 4 seasons under Oats - 1

in 2 seasons under Whitesell - 2

The half court offense is a problem, teams forced ub to play half court and it caused major problems.

Hardnett threes and mballa running point has a spot in the play book but it shouldn't be a main stay

Like a couple of hardnett 3s is fine with me as long as it comes in rhythm and is open, mballa running point should be set plays or if attacking a player in foul trouble/getting a mis match 

• Like 1

Mballa needs to focus on offensive moves down in the post and better fluidity down low.  He tries to put the ball on the floor and 2 things happen...he gets a charge or he is stripped. If he wants to dribble drive he needs to develop a tighter handle.  And down low when he gets the ball he needs to go up and not put the ball on the deck.  And I don't ever wanna see him bringing the ball up past midcourt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

When the Bulls got it to 10...Brock made a nice block.  Ohio had 3 seconds on the clock and ran a play where vandderplas ran Mballa around and was open to hit a three.  It was a play that was clearly practiced...but it wasn’t defended.  In fact, they used it a few other times tonight.  

On the very next possession, Segu drives into the trees and shoots a wild layup.   

What makes a player think that is a good shot?  It was a bad decision. 

My son is watching the game with me and he said UB has more talent, but isn’t really running plays.  He doesn’t read this board and doesn’t watch much UB basketball.  But he was able to see what was in front of him. 

With that, I am out.  I have been a UBfan since Reagan was in the White House.  But I don’t like this coach — I am sorry.  I think he can not get what is needed out of his players when he needs it.  Next year will be a little worse than this year, then the cliff comes.  I could ride it out if I liked the coach and the brand of basketball his team plays, but I don’t.   I will not post in this basketball board again until the Whitesell era ends.  This does not mean I won’t support the team - I most certainly will.   And I hope JW wins 4 MAC Championships in a row - I do.  Because I bleed blue.

On to football...

Many on this board have stated that Buffalo had the edge in talent, not only this year but last year. I didn’t see it last year, and I don’t see it this year. As far as I’m concerned, Akron, Toledo, Buffalo, Kent St, Ohio, and BG had pretty commensurate talent this year. Is Whitesell a good coach? No. Will the Bulls be better next year? No. Should UB be looking for a new men’s basketball coach? Yes. Will they? No. Alnutt has a different vision.

• Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Mballa needs to focus on offensive moves down in the post and better fluidity down low.  He tries to put the ball on the floor and 2 things happen...he gets a charge or he is stripped. If he wants to dribble drive he needs to develop a tighter handle.  And down low when he gets the ball he needs to go up and not put the ball on the deck.  And I don't ever wanna see him bringing the ball up past midcourt.

Amen!

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Agree with you he looked really gassed out there.

48 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Many on this board have stated that Buffalo had the edge in talent, not only this year but last year. I didn’t see it last year, and I don’t see it this year. As far as I’m concerned, Akron, Toledo, Buffalo, Kent St, Ohio, and BG had pretty commensurate talent this year. Is Whitesell a good coach? No. Will the Bulls be better next year? No. Should UB be looking for a new men’s basketball coach? Yes. Will they? No. Alnutt has a different vision.

Tons of individual talent on the team. Great athletes. Good college basketball players. Not enough basketball IQ. We have to hit on one if our transfers based on the law of averages. Hopefully Maceo will be ready to step into a big role.