Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Future of Alumni Arena

I think the parking issue is related to students on campus in general how they feel about the University. Not in relation to sporting events. When it comes to students in the past 10 years, the concern for what to built on campus is a parking garage (a logistical nightmare) and not a basketball facility.

My take: They are young and immature. In 20 years, they won't care about parking. They will care how the University looks on the national stage.

7 minutes ago, John said:

Do agree that parking can and has become a problem but only the last couple years when the crowds have increased tremendously. I appreciate comments back on this site that some of you tell us about other lots that are available. Not sure how many know about the free shuttle from the football parking lot before the games. We took advantage of that and we asked the driver if they do that for any other lots. He said he did not think so. Do agree this is the best sporting entertainment value in town . Go Bulls!!!!

The closest space you could get parking at the Syracuse game was like 15 bucks and at least a 10 minute walk away, then you were stuck in traffic for extended periods of time afterwards. I don't see how anyone can possibly complain about the free parking that is right near the arena. Seriously, I've stayed every game until 0:00 and then walked to my car. I have gotten home within 30 minutes every game (with the exception of the one game where I drove home not being able to see a car's length in front of me!) and I live a minimum of 25 minutes from the arena.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rma said:

However, every time that I see somebody complain about how they spent an hour looking for parking I wonder if the admissions standards are too low.

Wow, you’re extremely impressive. I feel honored that you even took your extremely valuable time to give your very highly regarded opinion.

Once again this conversation is about Alumni Arena. The future of the program, and how that correlates to any changes that will be done to the arena. The parking was a minor aspect that got turned into the main subject. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

I'm on career University #5 and UB is far and away the best and cheapest parking school I have been at. As an always late commuter student however, you play the game between risk "looking" for a good spot close or take the far spot and walk (and then see 12 open spots closer)" As we're in the digital age, an automatic mobile spot counter would be a great solution, as I'm driving up, if I could see on my phone that my preferred lot has only a few spots open, or many spots open, I can make an informed decision that can save me minutes.

Oh and I guess my commute to school at UB was 5 mins, so 10 mins looking for parking or walking to class feels like an eternity, the other 4 I probably had an hour commute at each, so 10 mins looking for parking is a write off. Finally, I've been staff at the other 4 institutions and they dont have the reserved staff lot, I want that sweet sweet reserved Faculty staff parking at UB.

We're spoiled in Buffalo.  My commute is 13 minutes if I hit green lights, and ~20 minutes normally.  Of course, Buffalo isn't 70/80 year round like some of those places you're talking about 😉

14 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

The closest space you could get parking at the Syracuse game was like 15 bucks and at least a 10 minute walk away

South McBride St on street parking is where I go. 10-15 minute walk to the arena and you don't have to battle other drivers to get out of lots.  There's alternate side parking, and the area isn't the greatest, but people pay $10 or $20 to park literally right next to where I park.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 1:01 AM, bull_trojan said:

I don't really see any upside to renovating vs replacing, unless there is some structural or nostalgic value in keeping the bones or location of current Alumni.

I mean I like alumni. I think it’s pretty nice and we just put in a slew of upgrades fairly recently. I would think replacing would cost a ton more money 

3 hours ago, weareub46 said:

I mean I like alumni. I think it’s pretty nice and we just put in a slew of upgrades fairly recently. I would think replacing would cost a ton more money 

I was thinking the time crunch of doing major structural work between March and October would be expensive.. SMU and Houston had to play a season somewhere else... I don't know where we could play that would make sense...obviously we could go Keybank, but goodbye atmosphere.

Also, Alumni has a lot of I assume load bearing columns throughout and a lot of concrete and brick...any move some walls to create space renovations would be costly.  

SMU spent 40 million on a reno, Houston 60 million. For 60 million we could go brand new building and practice courts...

So I guess my question is if costs are the same, would you prefer to trick out Alumni (and spend a season playing at keybank) or do a fairwell season at alumni and move into a new building somewhere nearby in the Athletics area.

6 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

I was thinking the time crunch of doing major structural work between March and October would be expensive.. SMU and Houston had to play a season somewhere else... I don't know where we could play that would make sense...obviously we could go Keybank, but goodbye atmosphere.

Also, Alumni has a lot of I assume load bearing columns throughout and a lot of concrete and brick...any move some walls to create space renovations would be costly.  

SMU spent 40 million on a reno, Houston 60 million. For 60 million we could go brand new building and practice courts...

So I guess my question is if costs are the same, would you prefer to trick out Alumni (and spend a season playing at keybank) or do a fairwell season at alumni and move into a new building somewhere nearby in the Athletics area.

Alumni is def a lot of brick and concrete... I guess when you put it that way I’d go for new facility.

A new b-ball arena is gonna cost at least 100 million.

I think a lot of us, myself included, have blinders on. Example...both basketball programs have had great success in recent years. So naturally we the fan base wanna dream big. We wanna move conferences and build new facilities. And yes while I think UB is a basketball school...football is still king. And football will always lead the way in the future. We won’t be able to change conferences unless football is up to par. And as it sits now...I’m sorry but our football program isn’t. Mainly bc UB stadium is a dump (mainly the track around the field and capacity). I know this is a b-ball thread but when it comes to college sports and money football leads the way and everything comes second. 

We all want resources pumped into the b-ball programs and they deserve it. But for all our bigger dreams (new facilities & conference re-alignment) we need greater success from the big time money maker...football.

Now if we can get some big donor to make a multi-million dollar donation dedicated to the b-ball team that’s a game changer. As it was for the new football facility.

• Like 1

When you click the link on today’s STH email it says this. 

* Due to proposed upgrades next season, some seating assignments and priority levels may change.  The ticket office will notify all season ticket holders affected when changes are confirmed.

7 minutes ago, rma said:

When you click the link on today’s STH email it says this. 

* Due to proposed upgrades next season, some seating assignments and priority levels may change.  The ticket office will notify all season ticket holders affected when changes are confirmed.

Exciting but it's probably new seat cushions 😄

• 4 weeks later...

Well now no one will have anything to worry about about leaving early. The women's games will have about 500 people in seats now. With the loss of the 2 head coaches, I have changed my stance on any possibility of a price increase. I am anti-increase. We'll be lucky to have someone to sit next to now.

• Like 1