Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Rasaun Young To Be Honored

BrooklynBull

AT the final home game of the season UB will honor UB Hall of Famer Rasaun Young.  His number 11 will be hung from the rafters in Alumni Arena.

http://ubbulls.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/releases/20190228hxvc8l

image.png.35e2eb28a40b7739abd6aff42d511c46.png

My favorite memory of Young was when UB played in a tournament at Iona College in his home town of New Rochelle, New York hosted by Iona College.  Young had two great games and was named MVP of the tournament in front of many friends and family.

• Like 2

Pound for pound one of the toughest players they've had here.  He always found a way to play bigger than he was.  One of my favorite Rasaun Young memories was when he hit a long, long three pointer (nearly half court?) shot at the buzzer in the Aud to knock off Bona.  At a time when UB was condescendingly laughed at by Little Three fans, buzzer beaters over Bona and Niagara there were a big step forward in grudging respect.

Question: the press release says they're "honoring" his number.  Nowhere in there did it say they were "retiring" it.  Does "honoring" mean retiring?  I'm still waiting to see them honor Turner Battle's #11 as well.

10 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

Pound for pound one of the toughest players they've had here.  He always found a way to play bigger than he was.  One of my favorite Rasaun Young memories was when he hit a long, long three pointer (nearly half court?) shot at the buzzer in the Aud to knock off Bona.  At a time when UB was condescendingly laughed at by Little Three fans, buzzer beaters over Bona and Niagara there were a big step forward in grudging respect.

Question: the press release says they're "honoring" his number.  Nowhere in there did it say they were "retiring" it.  Does "honoring" mean retiring?  I'm still waiting to see them honor Turner Battle's #11 as well.

Honoring does not mean retiring.  With only 31 numbers available it is very difficult to retire numbers.  Williams, as of now, will continue to wear 11.

As for Battle, UB is working on a date when they can honor him.  It is difficult for him to get to UB, during basketball season, for the honor since he is coaching at the other UAB.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Honoring does not mean retiring.  With only 31 numbers available it is very difficult to retire numbers.  Williams, as of now, will continue to wear 11.

As for Battle, UB is working on a date when they can honor him.  It is difficult for him to get to UB, during basketball season, for the honor since he is coaching at the other UAB.

The solution? Schedule UAB at home and honor him at halftime. Make the 1/2 20 minutes long. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

Do agree he was one tough player and some great memories especially that shot at the buzzer. Looking forward to the tribute for a great player. Go Bulls!!!!!

8 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

With only 31 numbers available it is very difficult to retire numbers. 

Tell that to St. Bonaventure.  They have to have half of the possible numbers retired.

Important to note that 31 on the women's side is in the rafters as well and Cassie Oursler wore it.

1 hour ago, MillenniumBull said:

Not sure UAB would like this too much.  Mind if we borrow your coach?

Make it part a women’s/men’s double header and do it before the game. There are tons of ways to make it happen. Only limited by one’s imagination 

11 hours ago, MillenniumBull said:

It would be like throwing a birthday party at work!  Except, it’s an ex coworker.... And he has to bring his new coworkers with him, but they have to watch from outside the conference room.  Why can’t we just wait.  

You’ll be waiting a long long time if you want to do it during basketball season. Maybe do it after the men’s game but before the women’s in a men’s/women’s double header. You can say why all day and night long to which I will always say why not?

1 hour ago, UB85 said:

You’ll be waiting a long long time if you want to do it during basketball season. Maybe do it after the men’s game but before the women’s in a men’s/women’s double header. You can say why all day and night long to which I will always say why not?

Ok. I’m perfectly fine waiting.  I guess the real question is how much do you want to pay UAB to come here just so YOU can honor TB, while he is busy doing his job at work.  Kinda insulting to TB that he can’t even enjoy his own honoring.  Not talking about this anymore.

20 minutes ago, MillenniumBull said:

Ok. I’m perfectly fine waiting.  I guess the real question is how much do you want to pay UAB to come here just so YOU can honor TB, while he is busy doing his job at work.  Kinda insulting to TB that he can’t even enjoy his own honoring.  Not talking about this anymore.

Clearly you’d talk to uab first. If they’d be up for it given the concerns you raise then you do it. If not then obviously it doesn’t happen. Pretty simple it seems to me. 

I’m pretty sure that at some point in the near future before the season begins a date can be scheduled in which we have a home game (probably easier during non conference play) and UAB doesn’t play at all that way Turner can travel to Buffalo to be honored properly without it being an inconvenience to his job. 

7 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I’m pretty sure that at some point in the near future before the season begins a date can be scheduled in which we have a home game (probably easier during non conference play) and UAB doesn’t play at all that way Turner can travel to Buffalo to be honored properly without it being an inconvenience to his job. 

I’m sure there are many ways to do it. But when it happens it better be done right. He deserves that.  

• Like 1

Speaking of Rasaun Young, as coach of the New Rochelle High School's basketball team, today is the 6th anniversary of one of the craziest buzzer beaters you'll ever see.  

http://media.msgvarsity.com/brightcove/1684477553001/201303/1684477553001_2219715346001_EdneyShot.mp4?hdnea=exp=1551635888~acl=/*~hmac=781CC24611E9CF1BF55619DE3F8DEDF485FEA1D4EFFFA1C96A26588E17FBDD59&nltid=msgv&nltdt=0