Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo vs St. Bonaventure 12/4 - 4pm

36 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I’m not saying Schmidt will be or should be fired…but do guys consider this season a failure for Bonaventure? If you are objective you should say yes. Much like if you are objective about UB basketball you would consider this season a failure for us. 

It's probably little difference than our year, although their expectations were even much higher than ours from the start. I'd say no way as an outsider, but several here would likely bring the ax down.

5 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

It's probably little difference than our year, although their expectations were even much higher than ours from the start. I'd say no way as an outsider, but several here would likely bring the ax down.

You say no it wasn’t a failure?

In a multi bid league as the preseason favorites. Ranked. Don’t make the tournament finals. Won’t make the big dance. Yea I say that’s a failure. Again not saying their coach gets fired or on the hot seat. Just calling it for what it is.

3 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

In a multi bid league as the preseason favorites. Ranked. Don’t make the tournament finals. Won’t make the big dance. Yea I say that’s a failure. Again not saying their coach gets fired or on the hot seat. Just calling it for what it is.

Exactly this. I’m sure the fan base is not happy but with limited internet access in Olean it’s hard to know for sure.

He made the tournament on 18 and 21 which keeps him out of the hot seat but this year certainly won’t earn him any bonuses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I didn't say that.  I said that the thought process should be the same as our 1st round exit, although they had even higher expectations and ranked during the season. In no way should schmidt be canned or even considered, though my saying that would make me too positive of a person to some. The guy, team has been good for years. Sucks to lose in the quarters, though it happens sometimes.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I didn't say that.  I said that the thought process should be the same as our 1st round exit, although they had even higher expectations and ranked during the season. In no way should schmidt be canned or even considered, though my saying that would make me too positive of a person to some. The guy, team has been good for years. Sucks to lose in the quarters, though it happens sometimes.

I agree with what you said about Schmidt. But two things can be true at the same time…he won’t be canned or on the hot seat but this season was a failure. It doesn’t make you negative saying that. It’s the reality. It’s ok to be negative when warranted. Come join the dark side lol

• Like 1

I can’t remember who Bona played in the NCAAs last year, but the Bonnies got smoked. They couldn’t buy a bucket. Their forte was defense of course. This year they were considered money in the bank. But they still had the same weaknesses: inconsistent offense, short bench, and over-rated. Virginia Tech blew them out of the gym. Northern Iowa schooled them in Olean. Expectations were way too high. A good team, but really not a great team. They’d be crazy to fire Schmidt. He took them from scandal ridden laughing stock back to respectability. UB surely will balk at having to pay Whitesell to take a hike, and then pay his replacement the going rate for a MAC coach. Schmidt’s contract is up at the conclusion of this season. Who’s out there? Tom Crean, Reggie or Sean Miller? Bruce Weber? I can’t see it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I’m not saying Schmidt will be or should be fired…but do guys consider this season a failure for Bonaventure? If you are objective you should say yes. Much like if you are objective about UB basketball you would consider this season a failure for us. 

Big time failure for St. Bonaventure. More so than UB because they had even higher expectations coming off NCAA Tournament season in which they returned their entire starting lineup and opened the year ranked.

I doubt he’ll ever leave but if there was a time, it would be now for Schmidt to bolt for another school based on his age and the rebuilding project facing the Bonnies.

In reality, UB and St. Bonaventure had similar seasons in regards to failing to meet their lofty preseason expectations. The main difference is Schmidt is highly regarded due to his history with their program while most here feel that Whitesell has been a disappointment.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Like 3

Last year somewhat could be considered a fluke because of the Covid shortened schedules. The Bonnies got hot at the right time. Early this season, they beat Boise St and Marquette - both of which are dancing. All their losses were to teams ranked in the top 100 by kenpom, except for George Mason (115). They had a total of six wins against top 100 ranked teams (seven, if you count St Louis, who they beat twice). Expectations for this year were based partly on last year’s skewed results. From that vantage point it was a disappointing season. Yesterday’s loss to a team it had already beaten twice was especially galling.

Then we have the case of UB, which made it to last year’s conference championship, and brought back the core of its lineup this season. Early on the Bulls picked up encouraging wins against N Texas and Western Kentucky. Covid played havoc with the schedule, which caused the cancellation of one conference game and one non conference game against UC Irvine (ranked 128 by kenpom). The wheels started coming off the bus in the Canisius game. Covid hit the coach and one of the best players, Mballa. There were some blow out wins against a couple of D III teams, and a nine game winning streak against conference bottom feeders, eight of which have ranks hovering around the 300 mark. UB beat one top 100 ranked team. The Bulls split with Kent St, lost twice to Toledo and Akron each, plus lost to Ohio. Yeah…St Bonaventure had a more discouraging season. LOL!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, squire17 said:

Then we have the case of UB, which made it to last year’s conference championship, and brought back the core of its lineup this season. Early on the Bulls picked up encouraging wins against N Texas and Western Kentucky. Covid played havoc with the schedule, which caused the cancellation of one conference game and one non conference game against UC Irvine (ranked 128 by kenpom). The wheels started coming off the bus in the Canisius game. Covid hit the coach and one of the best players, Mballa. There were some blow out wins against a couple of D III teams, and a nine game winning streak against conference bottom feeders, eight of which have ranks hovering around the 300 mark. UB beat one top 100 ranked team. The Bulls split with Kent St, lost twice to Toledo and Akron each, plus lost to Ohio. Yeah…St Bonaventure had a more discouraging season. LOL!

It’s all based on expectations. You can “lol” all you want but those play a role in how teams are perceived. No one is saying UB is better than Bona. We thought the Bulls were a Top 75 team that finished around 125 in KenPom while Bona was a Top 30 team that finished around 90. They “both” had incredibly disappointing years. That’s not up for debate.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Like 2